The Pritzker School of Molecular Engineering (PME; https://pme.uchicago.edu/) was established in May 2019 and evolved from the Institute for Molecular Engineering, which was founded in 2011. The PME integrates science and engineering to address global challenges from the molecular level up. The PME’s rigorous academic and research programs are made possible through the University of Chicago’s unique partnership with Argonne National Laboratory. The Pritzker School of Molecular Engineering is the first new school at the University of Chicago in three decades and the first school in the nation dedicated to molecular engineering. In the next phase of growth as a School, the PME will continue to expand its team of world-class faculty researchers and empower students from diverse backgrounds to collaborate with faculty in cutting-edge facilities. The PME aims to bring solutions for urgent societal problems to the forefront, while training the next generation of scientific leaders and entrepreneurs.
About the Department
PME is seeking a Staff Scientist to support the day-to-day operational and research needs of a complex research project involving the use of sensor networks and machine learning for terrestrial ecology. This work involves: (i) research on collecting sensor data in operating farms and analyzing them to aid the development of models for moisture prediction, and relation with ecological models; and (ii) collecting and analyzing water quality data in a project that involves the mapping of river surface water quality. The ideal candidate will closely partner with a faculty lead to plan, oversee and execute all aspects of the research operation, particularly on aspects of sensor networks and data modelling.
The initial term of employment will be for two years.
- Facilitates and promotes advanced technical/scientific research projects including data analysis. Recognizes the need for innovation and develops or incorporates advances in research concepts to help disseminate the results of research projects. Provides day-to-day operational oversight in support of the same.
- Contributes to the preparation and writing of grant applications and reports.
- Prepares presentations for scientific meetings and scientific manuscripts.
- Works closely with research team to write documentation and disseminate nanofabrication methods and resources that support or advance their research.
- Maintains relevant scientific operations, including activities of students, postdoctoral researchers, and research staff.
- Collaborates and coordinates with other researchers in the group and joint research efforts.
- Coordinates with relevant research personnel at Argonne National Laboratory.
- Creates and presents tutorials, hands-on workshops and documentation to educate the relevant research community, as per direction of the faculty lead.
- Reviews laboratory protocols and training on new techniques. Manage complex data sets for research.
- Trains new laboratory personnel.
- Performs other related work as needed.
Education:Minimum requirements include a PhD in related field.
- Doctoral degree with established track record in chemistry, physics, materials science or environmental engineering.
- A minimum of three years of postdoc experience.
- Experience working within academic and laboratory environment.
Technical Skills or Knowledge:
- Extensive expertise with low power IoT systems such as SigFox.
- Strong machine learning skills, especially as applied towards geospatial ecological problems.
- Knowledge of statistical/analytical software.
- Familiarity with report writing/submission and manuscript drafting, editing and review.
- Demonstrated administrative, problem-solving, organization and coordination skills.
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent time management skills and handle multiple, concurrent tasks within deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Prioritize urgent tasks while ensuring established deadlines are met.
- Flexible and adaptable to changes in workflow and procedures.
- Handle stressful, sensitive and confidential situations and information with absolute discretion.
- Knowledge and experience of related research techniques or methods.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with local and federal regulations, guidelines, and procedures.
- Resume/CV (required)
- Professional References Contact Information (3)(required)
When applying, the document(s) MUST be uploaded via the My Experience page, in the section titled Application Documents of the application.
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Drug Test Required
Health Screen Required
Motor Vehicle Record Inquiry Required
Employees must comply with the University’s COVID-19 vaccination requirements. More information about the requirements can be found on the University of Chicago Vaccination GoForward .
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
We seek a diverse pool of applicants who wish to join an academic community that places the highest value on rigorous inquiry and encourages a diversity of perspectives, experiences, groups of individuals, and ideas to inform and stimulate intellectual challenge, engagement, and exchange.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes a review of conviction history. A conviction does not automatically preclude University employment. Rather, the University considers conviction information on a case-by-case basis and assesses the nature of the offense, the circumstances surrounding it, the proximity in time of the conviction, and its relevance to the position.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu . Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
Lab Manager, University of Chicago (UC), United States, 21 days ago
Details Posted: 12-May-23 Location: Chicago, Illinois Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Research - Laboratory/Non-Laboratory Staff/Administrative Internal Number: JR21841 Location: Chicago,...
Assistant Scientist Neutron And X Ray Scattering Group, Argonne, United States, about 9 hours ago
The Neutron and X-ray Scattering Group of the Materials Science Division at Argonne National Laboratory is seeking applicants for an Assistant Physicist in the area of experimental condensed matte...
Mscapp Program Coordinator, University of Chicago (UC), United States, 27 days ago
Details Posted: 05-May-23 Location: Chicago, Illinois Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Other Staff/Administrative Staff/Administrative Internal Number: JR21812 Location: Chicago, IL Job De...
Clinical Research Manager, University of Chicago (UC), United States, 20 days ago
Details Posted: 13-May-23 Location: Chicago, Illinois Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Research - Laboratory/Non-Laboratory Staff/Administrative Internal Number: JR21785 Location: Chicago,...
Portfolio Director, Qualitative Research, University of Chicago (UC), United States, 21 days ago
Details Posted: 12-May-23 Location: Chicago, Illinois Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Research - Laboratory/Non-Laboratory Staff/Administrative Internal Number: JR21880 Location: Chicago,...
Director Ai Research And Strategic Development, National Security Focus, Argonne, United States, 3 days ago
Argonne's Computing, Environmental, Life Sciences (CELS) directorate is seeking a Director of AI Research and Strategic Development, National Security focus, to join their team. This Director will...