|Staff Research Associate II|
|9617 Staff Research Associate II-Non Exempt|
|All LARC Locations|
|Laboratory Animal Resource Center|
|Monday - Friday, 7:00 am - 4:00 pm, variable|
| JOB OVERVIEW|
The Laboratory Animal Resource Center (LARC) supports the research programs of the faculty by providing veterinary care and housing for all animals used in biomedical research and teaching. LARC provides veterinary medical care and husbandry services, assures compliance with laws and regulations concerning the use of animals in research, and veterinary medical advice to UCSF researchers. The Clinical Veterinarian supports these activities by developing and implementing effective clinical veterinary care programs.
This position is responsible for organizing and implementing a basic veterinary clinical diagnostic lab to complement the rodent and other species health programs and for participating in other rodent health program activities within LARC. Examples of duties: Conduct diagnostic lab techniques, analyze lab data, draft reports, conduct health surveillance, provide lab and other training, draft SOP’s, communicate lab and health information to researchers, support website functions, generally assist LARC’s animal health and rodent health programs and support LARC veterinarians and UCSF research projects. The job involves the ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder level, and move on hard surface for up to 7 hours/day; ability to push and pull heavy objects and ability to safely move and or lift heavy loads; perform task that require the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses, safety shoes, protective clothing and gloves, fume hoods, glove boxes, etc.
LABORATORY ANIMAL RESOURCE CENTER
The Laboratory Animal Resource Center (LARC) supports the research programs of the faculty by providing all services associated with the care and use of laboratory animals including the purchasing/receiving, daily care and monitoring of the health of all species. LARC provides care for various species of laboratory animals housed in multiple LARC research facilities located throughout the city of San Francisco.
The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is a leading university dedicated to promoting health worldwide through advanced biomedical research, graduate-level education in the life sciences and health professions, and excellence in patient care. It is the only campus in the 10-campus UC system dedicated exclusively to the health sciences.
| • Bachelor’s degree in biologic or animal science or other relevant scientific field and two or more years of recent, directly related work experience following degree completion, utilizing the techniques or methods required by the position; or an equivalent combination of education and experience|
• Valid California Driver’s license and participation in the California DMV’s Pull Notice System
• Experience or demonstrated aptitude for learning in rodent handling techniques, rodent anesthesia, obtaining biological samples from rodents and laboratory diagnostic techniques. Occasionally may be required to provide similar support to other species depending on unit needs
• Proficient in Microsoft word, Excel and Power Point
• Mandatory participation in department’s occupational health monitoring program and pre-employment medical evaluation
• Required attendance at animal technician training classes at department’s discretion
• Demonstrated ability to independently analyze lab reports, summarize findings and communicate results to veterinarians, researchers and others
• Excellent organizational, computer and technical skills for database management, file maintenance, spreadsheets and word processing
• Strong written and verbal communications skills which include writing standard operating procedures, communicating rodent health issues and reports, the ability to discuss rodent diagnostic procedures & diseases, and standard treatments. May be required to provide similar support to other species depending on unit needs
• Ability to review data, research protocols, or other written documents and provide guidance or training to research group or LARC units. Compliance matters may also fall within this duty
• Either possess or have demonstrated aptitude for quickly obtaining a working knowledge of regulations and animal welfare requirements
Note: Physical/health screening, fingerprinting and background check required. Effective March 13, 2017, all final candidate(s) for employment are required to undergo a background check.
| • AALAS certification: Laboratory Animal Technologist|
• Ability to work to standards required in an AAALAC accredited facility. AALAS certification eligible for ALAT or LAT
• Experience in basic veterinary medical lab techniques, including microscopy work, slide preparation, sample collection, parasitology, urinalysis, gram staining and similar basic veterinary diagnostic techniques. Experienced level that requires little to no additional training. This is a very important part of the position
• Experience in a veterinary facility or laboratory animal care facility
• Similar rodent handling experience or demonstrated aptitude for learning these techniques in other and larger species is useful
• Experience with diagnostic equipment such as microscopes and similar devices
• Ability to be trained in tasks to support and maintain the unit website
• Power Point, website management and statistical analysis skills are useful
|• Valid California Driver’s license and participation in the California DMV’s Pull Notice System|
|The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.|
Animal Health Technician Iii (9535 C) #23890, University of California, United States, 8 days ago
Job Description Job Title: Animal Health Technician III (9535C) #23890 Job ID: 23890 Location: Main Campus-Berkeley Full/Part Time: Full-Time Department Off of Laboratory Animal Care Regular/Tempo...
Aquatic Animals Lab Assistant, Mcb (9602 C) #23971, University of California, United States, 1 day ago
Job Description Job Title: Aquatic Animals Lab Assistant, MCB (9602C) #23971 Job ID: 23971 Location: Main Campus-Berkeley Full/Part Time: Part-Time Department Molecular & Cell Biology Regular/Temp...
Locksmith, Facilities Services (8197 C) #23945, University of California, United States, 1 day ago
Job Description Job Title: Locksmith, Facilities Services - (8197C) - #23945 Job ID: 23945 Location: Main Campus-Berkeley Full/Part Time: Full-Time Department Facilities Services Regular/Temporary...
Lead Roofer, Facilities Services (8220 C) #23996, University of California, United States, 1 day ago
Job Description Job Title: Lead Roofer, Facilities Services - (8220C) - #23996 Job ID: 23996 Location: Main Campus-Berkeley Full/Part Time: Part-Time Department Facilities Services Regular/Tempora...
Machinist (Temporary), Facilities Services (8143 C) #23940, University of California, United States, 1 day ago
Job Description Job Title: Machinist (Temporary), Facilities Services - (8143C) - #23940 Job ID: 23940 Location: Off Campus-Berkeley Full/Part Time: Full-Time Department Facilities Services Regula...
Machinist, Facilities Services (8143 C) #23925, University of California, United States, 1 day ago
Job Description Job Title: Machinist, Facilities Services - (8143C) - #23925 Job ID: 23925 Location: Main Campus-Berkeley Full/Part Time: Full-Time Department Facilities Services Regular/Temporary...