Staff Perfusionist - Cardiothoracic Surgery
Hiring Department: Cardiothoracic Surgical
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Requisition ID: 1021067
Posting Close Date: October 14, 2023
About the University of Illinois Chicago
UIC is among the nation’s preeminent urban public research universities, a Carnegie RU/VH research institution, and the largest university in Chicago. UIC serves over 34,000 students, comprising one of the most diverse student bodies in the nation and is designated as a Minority Serving Institution (MSI), an Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institution (AANAPSI) and a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI). Through its 16 colleges, UIC produces nationally and internationally recognized multidisciplinary academic programs in concert with civic, corporate and community partners worldwide, including a full complement of health sciences colleges. By emphasizing cutting-edge and transformational research along with a commitment to the success of all students, UIC embodies the dynamic, vibrant and engaged urban university. Recent “Best Colleges” rankings published by U.S. News & World Report, found UIC climbed up in its rankings among top public schools in the nation and among all national universities. UIC has nearly 260,000 alumni, and is one of the largest employers in the city of Chicago.
About UI Health
The University of Illinois Hospital & Health Sciences System (UI Health) provides comprehensive care, education, and research to the people of Illinois and beyond. A part of the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC), UI Health comprises a clinical enterprise that includes a 495-bed tertiary care hospital, 22 outpatient clinics, and 13 Mile Square Health Center facilities, which are Federally Qualified Health Centers. It also includes the seven UIC health science colleges: the College of Applied Health Sciences; the College of Dentistry; the School of Public Health; the Jane Addams College of Social Work; and the Colleges of Medicine, Pharmacy, and Nursing, including regional campuses in Peoria, Quad Cities, Rockford, Springfield, and Urbana. UI Health is dedicated to the pursuit of health equity.
As assigned by the Chief Perfusionist, and according to the prescribed standards, this position performs those functions necessary for the support, treatment, measurement, and/or supplementation of the cardiopulmonary and/or circulatory system of the patient. The Perfusionist performs advanced technical work in the selection, preparation, operation, and maintenance of the cardiopulmonary bypass and ancillary equipment. Responsible for the knowledge, operation, and maintenance of a wide variety of technical perfusion equipment utilized in cardiac surgery, as well as, other circulatory support devices, and for close cooperation with the attending physician in extra-corporeal perfusion practices.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Set up and operate heart-lung machines to take over functions of a patient’s heart and lungs during surgery or respiratory failure.
- Review patient medical history and chart and consult with surgeon or physician to obtain patient information needed to set up heart-lung machine and associated equipment.
- Select, assemble, set up and test heart-lung machine to ensure that machine and associated equipment function according to specifications.
- Operate heart-lung machine to regulate blood circulation and composition, to administer drugs and anesthetic agents and to control body temperature during surgery or respiratory failure.
- Monitor, observe and analyze operation of heart-lung machine and patient’s physiologic variables such as blood temperature, blood composition, and flow rate and adjust equipment to maintain normal body functions.
- Clean and adjust equipment: heart-lung machine, blood cell processor, plasmaphereris processor, coagulation and blood analysis equipment.
- Assist with the development and maintenance of departmental policies and procedures and Performance Improvement Program
- Perform and analyze blood gas, blood chemistry, and blood coagulation testing.
- Perform other related duties and participate in special projects as assigned
- Perform other related duties and participate in special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required; in allied health science preferred. Certification or board eligibility by the American Board of Cardiovascular Perfusion and must hold a current Illinois State Perfusion license.
- Knowledge of cardiovascular, hepatic, renal, and oncological diseases and their precipitating conditions.
- Ability to operate multiple pieces of equipment associated with the required knowledge as listed above for long periods of time in a potentially stressful environment.
- Ability to work collaboratively as a member of the surgical team for long periods of time in a potentially stressful environment
The University of Illinois System is an equal opportunity employer, including but not limited to disability and/or veteran status, and complies with all applicable state and federal employment mandates. Please visit Required Employment Notices and Posters to view our non-discrimination statement and find additional information about required background checks, sexual harassment/misconduct disclosures, COVID-19 vaccination requirement, and employment eligibility review through E-Verify.
The university provides accommodations to applicants and employees. Request an Accommodation
Vascular Sonographer Specialist Surgery, University of Illinois - Chicago, United States, 3 days ago
Details Posted: 01-Dec-23 Location: Chicago, Illinois Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Academic/Faculty Healthcare Administration Internal Number: 4827216 Vascular Sonographer Specialist -...
Medical Assistant (Credentialed/Certified) Surgery, University of Illinois - Chicago, United States, 13 days ago
Details Posted: 21-Nov-23 Location: Chicago, Illinois Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Healthcare Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 4805641 Medical Assistant (Credentialed/Certified) -...
Geriatrician (Non Tenure Faculty) Division Of Academic Internal Medicine & Geriatrics, University of Illinois - Chicago, United States, 20 days ago
Details Posted: 14-Nov-23 Location: Chicago, Illinois Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Academic/Faculty Medical - Clinical Internal Number: 4785489 Geriatrician (Non-Tenure Faculty) - Divi...
Extra Help Medical Education Program Coordinator Surgery, University of Illinois - Chicago, United States, 7 days ago
Details Posted: 26-Nov-23 Location: Chicago, Illinois Type: Part-time Salary: Open Categories: Academic/Faculty Medical - Clinical Internal Number: 4815724 Extra Help - Medical Education Program C...
Operating Room Technician Surgical Services (Operating Room), University of Illinois - Chicago, United States, 20 days ago
Details Posted: 14-Nov-23 Location: Chicago, Illinois Type: Part-time Salary: Open Categories: Healthcare Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 4787696 Operating Room Technician - Surgical Service...
Eeg Technician, University of Illinois - Chicago, United States, 4 days ago
Details Posted: 30-Nov-23 Location: Chicago, Illinois Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Academic/Faculty Healthcare Administration Internal Number: 4823225 EEG Technician EEG Technician Hir...