The University of Chicago Data Science Institute (DSI) is a collaboration of scholars, researchers, educators, and practitioners pursuing the methodological, societal, and domain-oriented challenges of our increasingly data-centric world. The DSI is a research center setting the intellectual agenda for the field and an innovator and provider of data education at the undergraduate, graduate, and professional levels. Integral to DSI’s success includes engagement through meaningful partnerships with industry, government, the community and other academic institutions.
About the Department
The Staff Data Scientist will work as a technical research staff member at the DSI with their primary responsibility focused on the DSI’s efforts in the intersection of AI and the biological sciences. This research position will focus on collaboration with a federally funded center to develop the use of computer vision techniques to extract quantitative information from images (e.g. fluorescence microscopy of activity reporters or labeled proteins) of biological data sets from the sub-cellular, cellular and tissue scales to develop new data-driven modeling approaches. The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience in a relevant field of biology, software development and, ideally, knowledge of computer software development best practices (version control, virtualization, etc.). Demonstrated excellence in working collaboratively with a cross-disciplinary team of researchers spanning physical and biological sciences is required.
Working in collaboration with UChicago Data Science Institute faculty and staff, the Staff Data Scientist will develop, support and provide technical consulting on data science initiatives. These data science initiatives span the entire lifecycle of a data science project from initial project development through publication, usually as a paper or as an open source software resource. Additionally, this role will also advance the research and practice of data science by developing and delivering workshops and training, mentoring students and communicating results.
- Supports the ongoing education and training programs at the UChicago Data Science Institute.
- Consults on Data Science engagements to clarify goals, identify collaboration opportunities and support data collection, modeling and publishing results.
- Reviews and evaluates potential projects for technical merit and feasibility.
- Develops workshops and training programs to advance research and practice of data science.
- Engages with other research initiatives at the UChicago Data Science Institute including establishing external collaborations.
- Mentors and supports graduate and undergraduate students in the UChicago Data Science Institute clinic.
- Conducts an independent research program as well as disseminates and publishes these results.
- Grant writing activities to support ongoing initiatives in data science.
- Develops open source data science resources.
- Leverages common technologies (including Docker, git and Python) to write code that adheres to modern coding standards.
- Contributes to the life of the UChicago Data Science Institute environment through service and participation in UChicago Data Science Institute activities, including public lectures, blog posts, contributing to open source technologies, etc.
- Develops materials communicating significant results, best practices and case studies with specific technologies, and documentation for significant software.
- Guides staff or faculty members in defining the project and applies principals of data science in manipulation, statistical applications, programming, analysis, and modeling.
- Designs and evaluates statistical models and reproducible data processing pipelines using expertise of best practices in machine learning and statistical inference. Provides expertise for high level or complex data-related requests and engages other IT resources as needed. Partners with other campus teams to assist faculty with data science related needs.
- Performs other related work as needed.
Education:Minimum requirements include a college or university degree in related field.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in computer science, data science, statistics, mathematics, engineering or related computational field.
- Graduate degree, preferably in computer science, data science, statistics, mathematics, engineering or related STEM field.
- Professional experience writing code in an interpreted language, such as Python.
- Communicating results through writing and presentations, both in and out of one’s own discipline.
Technical Skills or Knowledge:
- Participating in open source software development and significant contributions to open source projects are also highly valued in this role.
- Background with image processing/computer vision (e.g. microscopy) and specifically using data science techniques to extra information.
- Demonstrated experience in software engineering, applied machine learning and/or advanced statistical methods.
- Knowledge of software development best practices and commonly used tools.
- Deep learning, computer vision and medical imaging.
- Resume/CV (required)
- Cover Letter (preferred)
- References Contact Information (3)(preferred)
When applying, the document(s) MUST be uploaded via the My Experience page, in the section titled Application Documents of the application.
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Drug Test Required
Health Screen Required
Motor Vehicle Record Inquiry Required
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
We seek a diverse pool of applicants who wish to join an academic community that places the highest value on rigorous inquiry and encourages a diversity of perspectives, experiences, groups of individuals, and ideas to inform and stimulate intellectual challenge, engagement, and exchange.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes a review of conviction history. A conviction does not automatically preclude University employment. Rather, the University considers conviction information on a case-by-case basis and assesses the nature of the offense, the circumstances surrounding it, the proximity in time of the conviction, and its relevance to the position.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu . Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
Science Writer & Editor, University of Chicago (UC), United States, 2 days ago
Details Posted: 05-Dec-23 Location: Chicago, Illinois Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Other Staff/Administrative Staff/Administrative Internal Number: JR24650 Location: Chicago, IL Job De...
Instructional Professor (Open Rank) In Data Science, University of Chicago (UC), United States, 10 days ago
Details Posted: 28-Nov-23 Location: Chicago, Illinois Type: Full-time Categories: Academic/Faculty Computer/Information Sciences Mathematics/Statistics Employment Type: Full-time Organization Type...
Research Professional 2, University of Chicago (UC), United States, 7 days ago
Details Posted: 30-Nov-23 Location: Chicago, Illinois Type: Part-time Salary: Open Categories: Research - Laboratory/Non-Laboratory Staff/Administrative Internal Number: JR24236 Location: Lemont, ...
Associate Director Sees, University of Chicago (UC), United States, 15 days ago
Details Posted: 22-Nov-23 Location: Chicago, Illinois Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Other Staff/Administrative Staff/Administrative Internal Number: JR24517 Location: Chicago, IL Job De...
Strategic Communications Specialist, University of Chicago (UC), United States, 7 days ago
Details Posted: 30-Nov-23 Location: Chicago, Illinois Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Advertising/Marketing/Public Relations/Communications Staff/Administrative Internal Number: JR24477 L...
Program Manager, University of Chicago (UC), United States, 15 days ago
Details Posted: 22-Nov-23 Location: Chicago, Illinois Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Information Technology Staff/Administrative Internal Number: JR24637 Location: Illinois Job Descripti...