Harvard Art Museums
The Harvard Art Museums welcome visitors from around the corner and around the world. The three museums that comprise the Harvard Art Museums house one of the largest and most renowned art collections in the United States and continued growth in visitation represents a significant enhancement in opening the museums and collections to all. The art museums seek an organized and customer service-oriented Staff Assistant to provide administrative support to the Visitor Services department. Reporting to the Director of Visitor Services, the Staff Assistant performs complex and confidential administrative and financial duties. The Staff Assistant serves as a point of contact for the department, both internally and externally, answering questions and providing support in a professional, courteous, and collaborative manner. In addition, the Staff Assistant backs up Visitor Services and Shop Assistants as needed.
- Provides effective administrative support to the department:
- Answers division’s general phone line and email address. Assists and directs inquiries, and provides information on events, exhibitions, and museums policies as needed. Updates museums’ main phone line recording system.
- Prepares and updates digital and paper files, responsible for organizing documents on the shared network.
- Gathers and maintains data and assists in preparing reports, using a variety of software.
- Tracks a variety of information, including departmental Strategic Plan performance and interdepartmental use of museums’ publications.
- Manages Events Calendar.
- Provides backup support for group visits assistant.
- As needed, assists with the opening and closing procedures, and coverage for breaks and absences of the Visitor Services and Shop Assistants.
- Serves as the main purchaser for the department:
- Researches products and develops cost comparisons; including product development for special exhibitions as directed.
- Drafts major expenditure forms.
- Reviews all purchasing transactions for division.
- Provides backup for approving purchases.
- Processes all expenses for the director.
- Tracks inventory and orders department supplies in a timely fashion, compiles and updates list with vendor information.
- Supports financial processing and budget development:
- Assists with the development of annual budgets.
- Monitors the status of multiple budgets.
- Reviews detailed listing.
- Assists with revenue tracking.
- Counts, reconciles, codes and deposits weekly shop sales revenue.
- Assists with special projects:
- Creates presentations and supporting documents for meetings.
- Attends meetings and records minutes including action items.
- Assists with the development of visitor surveys and data collecting.
- Assists with special projects identified in the Strategic Plan.
- Related responsibilities as assigned.
Minimum of three years of related experience.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
Bachelor’s degree preferred. Experience with budget tracking and reconciling expenses and revenue. strongly preferred. Must be reliable, organized, and detail-oriented. Discretion with confidential information is essential. Excellent communication skills, both oral and written. Superior customer service and demonstrated problem-solving abilities. Proven ability to interact effectively with a wide range of people, and to be able to establish working relationships with a wide variety of constituents. Must be self-motivated, able to work independently and as a team member in a work environment of multiple and shifting priorities. Demonstrated knowledge of a wide range of software; experience with Harvard financial systems and University policies preferred.
Ability to lift up to 25lb. Able to walk, stand, stop, push and pull; must be able to reach and work about the shoulder, climb ladders, lift, kneel, twist and squat.
Requires appropriate attire as described by the department. Must present a clean, neat, and professional image at all times. The Harvard Art Museums are open year-round, so this position will be scheduled to work on some holidays. Requires participation in customer service training. Occasional weekend and evening hours are required.
This is an on-site position, Monday-Friday, 9 am-5 pm.
The Harvard Art Museums
Ever since their founding, the Harvard Art Museums—the Fogg Museum, Busch-Reisinger Museum and Arthur M. Sackler Museum—have been dedicated to advancing and supporting learning at Harvard University, in the local community, and around the world. Displayed in galleries that mix not only media but schools of art, the collection at Harvard is celebrated and interrogated within a larger story of artistic expression and historical and contemporary issues. The diverse collection is among the largest in the United States. Through research, teaching, professional training, and public education the museums strive to advance the understanding and appreciation of art.
The museums value staff diversity and are committed to building a culturally diverse community. We encourage candidates from underrepresented groups to apply.
The health of our workforce is a priority for Harvard University. With that in mind, we strongly encourage all employees to be up to date on CDC-recommended vaccines.
We invite you to visit Harvard’s Total Rewards website to learn more about our outstanding benefits package, which may include:
- Paid Time Off: 3-4 weeks of accrued vacation time per year (3 weeks for support staff and 4 weeks for administrative/professional staff), 12 accrued sick days per year, 12.5 holidays plus a Winter Recess in December/January, 3 personal days per year (prorated based on date of hire), and up to 12 weeks of paid leave for new parents who are primary care givers.
- Health and Welfare: Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, disability and life insurance programs, along with voluntary benefits. Most coverage begins as of your start date.
- Work/Life and Wellness: Child and elder/adult care resources including on campus childcare centers, Employee Assistance Program, and wellness programs related to stress management, nutrition, meditation, and more.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with contributions from 5% to 15% of eligible compensation, based on age and earnings with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive program including $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and reduced tuition through other participating Harvard graduate schools.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Program that provides 75% to 90% reimbursement up to $5,250 per calendar year for eligible courses taken at other accredited institutions.
- Professional Development: Programs and classes at little or no cost, including through the Harvard Center for Workplace Development and LinkedIn Learning.
- Commuting and Transportation: Various commuter options handled through the Parking Office, including discounted parking, half-priced public transportation passes and pre-tax transit passes, biking benefits, and more.
- Harvard Facilities Access, Discounts and Perks: Access to Harvard athletic and fitness facilities, libraries, campus events, credit union, and more, as well as discounts to various types of services (legal, financial, etc.) and cultural and leisure activities throughout metro-Boston.
Department Office Location
USA - MA - Cambridge
403033 Staff Assistant III
55 - Hvd Union Cler & Tech Workers
Credit, Criminal, Identity
Full time. Monday through Friday. Occasional weekend and evening hours are required. 35 hours per week.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Full Professor In Contemporary Art And Global And Social Challenges (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, 15 days ago
24 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Utrecht University Research Field Language sciences Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Established Researcher (R3) Country Netherlands Appl...
Full Professor In Contemporary Art And Global And Social Challenges (1.0 Fte) , Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 7 hours ago
Print this page Full Professor in Contemporary Art and Global and Social Challenges (1.0 FTE) Job description Utrecht University (UU) invites applications for a Full Professor in ‘Contemporary Art...
Administrative Officer, Department Of Digital Arts And Creative Industries, LINGNAN UNIVERSITY, United Kingdom, 12 days ago
Lingnan University, a distinctive liberal arts institution in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, is committed to the provision of quality whole-person education by combining the best of ...
Assistant Professor Of Teaching, Department Of Digital Arts And Creative Industries, LINGNAN UNIVERSITY, Hong Kong, 5 days ago
2 Dec 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company LINGNAN UNIVERSITY Research Field Arts History Philosophy Religious sciences Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) First Stage Researcher (R...
Tenure Track Associate Professor In Human Osteoarchaeology, NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, 4 days ago
5 Dec 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology Department NTNU University Museum Research Field History » Archaeology Cultural studies Research...
Professorship In Social And Cultural Anthropology (Open Rank) , ;, Switzerland, 11 days ago
The University of Zurich invites applications for a Professorship in Social and Cultural Anthropology (Open Rank) starting on 1 August 2025. The position is connected with the directorship of the ...