Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
The mission of the Department of Nutrition at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health is to improve human health through better nutrition and lifestyle. The Department strives to accomplish this goal through research aimed at an increased understanding of how diet influences health at molecular and population levels, the development of nutritional strategies, informing policy, the education of researchers and practitioners, and the dissemination of nutrition information to health professionals and the public.
The Administrative Assistant performs a variety of administrative support duties to coordinate the activities and procedures of the department's academic unit, administrative unit, and related projects and programs.
Departmental duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assisting with day-to-day flow of communications within the department (emails, phone calls, walk-ins, website updates, job postings, etc.)
- Sorting mail
- Ordering office supplies
- Maintaining and reserving the department conference rooms
- Assisting with general operations and IT requests
- Assisting with processing post doc and student reimbursements
- Providing support for department events
- Travel arrangements
- Processing reimbursements
- Updating CVs
- Providing support for event planning (symposiums, lectures, etc.)
- Drafting, editing, and preparing correspondence, reports and other materials using Word processing systems, Microsoft Excel, and various databases
- Assisting with faculty PowerPoint presentations
- Providing on-site audio/visual technology support, in collaboration with the Department of IT, as needed.
PLEASE NOTE: Until our return to campus and full operational status, which is still to-be-determined, this interview process and position will take place in a slightly modified manner – including virtual interviews and a combination of remote and on-site (on campus in Boston) onboarding and work. On-campus/in-person work is expected, though, upon start date – in accordance with approved COVID-related guidelines and protocols.
- 3+ years of related experience required; a combination of education and experience may be considered
Additional Qualifications and Skills
The following job-specific skills and competencies are preferred:
- Knowledge of Buy2Pay, Endnote, and Concur applications (plusses, but not required)
- Awareness of and aptitude to appropriately and effectively understand, respect, and adapt to cultural and identity-based difference within group environments
- Knowledge of and commitment to concepts and issues tied to social justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Skills related to creating and supporting an environment that allows for inclusion, effective intercultural engagement, and personal humility and authenticity
At the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, we believe that diversity is integral to the Harvard experience and our mission of improving public health education, research and policy. Diversity of cultural backgrounds, identities, lived experiences, perspectives, and ways of understanding the world enriches our community and enables us to best meet the public health needs of the United States and the world. Ongoing learning and development related to diversity allows for both individual and institutional growth, and is necessary to foster and sustain a culture of inclusion. To achieve this, we are committed to ensuring equitable access to opportunities for learning, living, and working at the Harvard Chan School. We maintain an unwavering dedication to diversity, inclusion, and belonging as core to our institutional values and to actively counter, minimize, and address racism, sexism, xenophobia, homophobia, gender bias, and all forms of discrimination.
Learn more about the School’s mission, objectives, and core values and our diversity, inclusion, and belonging initiatives.
Harvard University offers an outstanding benefits package including:
- Time Off: 3-4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12+ paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: Excellent and affordable medical, dental & vision plans, with coverage beginning as of an employee's start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance & Reimbursement Programs: $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School, discounted options through participating Harvard graduate schools, and reimbursement options for accredited schools outside of Harvard.
- Transportation: 50% discount on MBTA passes, as well as additional options (rideshare, biking, etc.) to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness & Professional Development: Programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, hard & soft skills development, career planning, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complimentary health services. Additionally, access to Harvard athletic facilities, libraries, campus events -- and many discounts for various cultural and leisure activities throughout metro Boston.
- The Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health does not provide visa sponsorship, now or in the future, for staff positions.
- Harvard University requires pre-employment reference checks and background screenings.
- This position has a 90 day orientation and review period. The O&R period will be waived for any internal Harvard employee transfers.
Harvard will require COVID vaccination for all Harvard community members. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement and exceptions may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage .
USA - MA - Boston
403033 Staff Assistant III
55 - Hvd Union Cler & Tech Workers
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Assistant Professor, University of Massachusetts Boston, United States, about 19 hours ago
The Department of Nursing invites applicants to join our diverse college as Assistant Professor on the tenure-track beginning September 1, 2022. Research experience is required and an established ...
Research Training Manager, University of Massachusetts Boston, United States, about 19 hours ago
General Summary: The Research Training Manager is responsible for the day to day operation of the UMass Boston Dana-Farber/Harvard Cancer Center U-54 Research Education Core (REC). She/he manages...
Assistant/Associate Professor In Global Health, Northeastern University, United States, about 8 hours ago
About Northeastern: Founded in 1898, Northeastern University is a global research university and the recognized leader in experience-driven lifelong learning. Our world-renowned experiential appro...
Lecturer/Senior Lecturer, Babson College, United States, 18 days ago
Division Summary: The Operations and Information Management Division at Babson College includes faculty with expertise teaching and researching issues related to evolving technologies that acceler...
Lecturer/Senior Lecturer, Babson College, United States, about 1 hour ago
Babson College is seeking a Lecturer or Senior Lecturer ( not a Tenure track position) in Operations and Information Management Division for the 2022-23 academic year. Responsibilities include tea...
Scientist Ii, Cancer Immunologic Data Commons, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, United States, 1 day ago
Scientist II, Cancer Immunologic Data Commons Dana-Farber Cancer Institute Boston, MA Full Time PTL Remote: 2-3 days remote/wk The Department of Data Science seeks a Scientist II to lead the devel...