Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
The Department of Global Health and Population (GHP) seeks to improve global health through education, research, and service from a population-based perspective.
Reporting to the Director of Administration, the Administrative Assistant serves as the first point of contact and information source for GHP. The Administrative Assistant is seated at the front desk (when we are on campus) and provides for smooth day-to-day flow of communications within the department by greeting visitors, answering and routing calls and emails, and incoming inquiries. This Administrative Assistant also oversees all basic but critical operational components including mail services, key distribution, and facilities interface.
This position is responsible for general office management duties including, but not limited to, the following:
- Answering and routing inquiries to appropriate parties in a timely manner and providing high-level customer service to individuals inside and outside of the organization
- Assisting the Manager of Administration and/or Director of Administration with administrative duties such as, but not limited to: scheduling meetings, preparing documents relating to faculty and general department correspondence, and filing and record-keeping
- Updating and maintaining department contact listings, keys, mailboxes, kitchen, and copy/supply room areas; maintaining inventory of office supplies and equipment, and restocking copy and print materials; ensuring that departmental common spaces are neat and organized
- Acting as the primary point of contact for School-wide offices including: Operations, Security/ID Office, and Information Technology (including HUIT phone); liaising with aforementioned offices for any repair needs, electronic or technical issues, and building access requests in consultation with supervisor
- Receiving and distributing mail
- Ordering supplies in Buy2Pay on behalf of various programs, and informing Associate Director of Finance of anu unusual or non-standard requests
- Tracking conference room reservations and ensuring that rooms are equipped
- Assisting in coordinating event logistics for department activities including marketing/publicity (including social media), reservations and scheduling, placing and receiving catering orders, conference room setup and cleanup, reserving parking, and providing technical assistance with electronic equipment and audio-visual needs
- Planning and executing the weekly departmental seminar series and other special events as needed
- Assisting with website maintenance as needed
- Performing other duties as assigned
- 3+ years of related experience required; a combination of education and experience may be considered
Additional Qualifications and Skills
The following job-specific skills and competencies are preferred:
- Experience supporting stakeholders (faculty and staff a plus) within a fast paced office setting
- Comfortable multi-tasking and following through on tasks
- Excellent verbal and writing skills
- Strong computer and technical skills, including experience using Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), and Adobe
- Experience problem-solving A/V equipment needs
- Strong attention to detail
- Exhibits sensitivity to cultural differences and have demonstrated the effective communication with a diverse group of people
- Flexibility and adaptability to changing and shifting priorities
- Awareness of and aptitude to appropriately and effectively understand, respect, and adapt to cultural and identity-based difference within group environments
- Knowledge of and commitment to concepts and issues tied to social justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Skills related to creating and supporting an environment that allows for inclusion, effective intercultural engagement, and personal humility and authenticity
At the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, we believe that diversity is integral to the Harvard experience and our mission of improving public health education, research and policy. Diversity of cultural backgrounds, identities, lived experiences, perspectives, and ways of understanding the world enriches our community and enables us to best meet the public health needs of the United States and the world. Ongoing learning and development related to diversity allows for both individual and institutional growth, and is necessary to foster and sustain a culture of inclusion. To achieve this, we are committed to ensuring equitable access to opportunities for learning, living, and working at the Harvard Chan School. We maintain an unwavering dedication to diversity, inclusion, and belonging as core to our institutional values and to actively counter, minimize, and address racism, sexism, xenophobia, homophobia, gender bias, and all forms of discrimination.
Learn more about the School’s mission, objectives, and core values and our diversity, inclusion, and belonging initiatives.
Harvard University offers an outstanding benefits package including:
- Time Off: 3-4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12+ paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: Excellent and affordable medical, dental & vision plans, with coverage beginning as of an employee's start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance & Reimbursement Programs: $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School, discounted options through participating Harvard graduate schools, and reimbursement options for accredited schools outside of Harvard.
- Transportation: 50% discount on MBTA passes, as well as additional options (rideshare, biking, etc.) to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness & Professional Development: Programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, hard & soft skills development, career planning, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complimentary health services. Additionally, access to Harvard athletic facilities, libraries, campus events -- and many discounts for various cultural and leisure activities throughout metro Boston.
- The Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health does not provide visa sponsorship, now or in the future, for staff positions.
- Harvard University requires pre-employment reference checks and background screenings.
- This position has a 90 day orientation and review period. The O&R period will be waived for any internal Harvard employee transfers.
Harvard will require COVID vaccination for all Harvard community members. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement and exceptions may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage .
USA - MA - Boston
403033 Staff Assistant III
Global Health and Population
55 - Hvd Union Cler & Tech Workers
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Assistant Professor, University of Massachusetts Boston, United States, 24 minutes ago
The Department of Nursing invites applicants to join our diverse college as Assistant Professor on the tenure-track beginning September 1, 2022. Research experience is required and an established ...
Lecturer/Senior Lecturer, Babson College, United States, 20 days ago
Division Summary: The Operations and Information Management Division at Babson College includes faculty with expertise teaching and researching issues related to evolving technologies that acceler...
Scientist Ii, Cancer Immunologic Data Commons, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, United States, about 8 hours ago
Scientist II, Cancer Immunologic Data Commons Dana-Farber Cancer Institute Boston, MA Full Time PTL Remote: 2-3 days remote/wk The Department of Data Science seeks a Scientist II to lead the devel...
Lecturer/Senior Lecturer, Babson College, United States, about 7 hours ago
Babson College is seeking a Lecturer or Senior Lecturer ( not a Tenure track position) in Operations and Information Management Division for the 2022-23 academic year. Responsibilities include tea...
Assistant/Associate Professor In Global Health, Northeastern University, United States, about 10 hours ago
About Northeastern: Founded in 1898, Northeastern University is a global research university and the recognized leader in experience-driven lifelong learning. Our world-renowned experiential appro...
Assistant Director Of Graduate Admissions, Brandeis University, United States, about 16 hours ago
Located in greater Boston and offering seven graduate programs in domestic and global policy and management, the Heller School is ranked by U.S. News & World Report in the top ten schools of Socia...