School of Medicine Established in 1930, Duke University School of Medicine is the youngest of the nation's top medical schools. Ranked sixth among medical schools in the nation, the School takes pride in being an inclusive community of outstanding learners, investigators, clinicians, and staff where interdisciplinary collaboration is embraced and great ideas accelerate translation of fundamental scientific discoveries to improve human health locally and around the globe. Composed of more than 2,500 faculty physicians and researchers, more than 1,300 students, and more than 6,000 staff, the Duke University School of Medicine along with the Duke University School of Nursing, Duke University Health System and the Private Diagnostic Clinic (PDC) comprise Duke Health. a world-class academic medical center. The Health System encompasses Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, Duke Raleigh Hospital, Duke Primary Care, Duke Home and Hospice, Duke Health and Wellness, and multiple affiliations.
As part of Academic Affairs (AA) Faculty Support team, perform responsible administrative duties of a complex and confidential nature in support of a group of assigned faculty members to maintain efficiency in organizational operations.
** NOTE: This position may have an opportunity to work remotely. All Duke University and Duke Health remote workers must reside in one of the following states or districts: Arizona; California; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Illinois; Maryland; Massachusetts; Montana; New Jersey; New York; North Carolina; Pennsylvania; South Carolina; Tennessee; Texas; Virginia or Washington, DC.
- Maintain clinical and non-clinical calendars; Schedule appointments and meetings with various departmental/divisional faculty, staff, vendors, and committees. Ensures that all logistical arrangements are made in terms of notifications and confirmations, physical space, materials, equipment and food, as needed.
- Coordinate all arrangements for domestic and international travel for assigned faculty member(s) as required to attend professional seminars, conferences, meetings and commitments. Ensures all expenses are appropriately documented, assigned and reconciled.
- Prepares correspondence, general communication materials and recommendation letters for designated faculty member(s), working from written or electronic drafts, dictation, researched information, or personal knowledge. Proofreads and edits correspondence documents to ensure the accuracy, clarity, and consistency of the content as directed.
- Performs special projects and other work as assigned. General knowledge and ongoing training mandate that this may include CVs, Bio Sketches appropriate for grant submission, Publications, PubMed and COI documentation, license renewals and other such related tasks.
- Using Concur, completes and submits applicable expense reports and cash expense reports in accordance with agreements; completes and submits online expense reports in a timely manner, ensuring privileges for use of P-card and reimbursements are current, completes and submits travel expense reports for P-card and cash transactions, tracks payments received as appropriate to DCRI, Duke University and/or faculty member(s) and follows up on outstanding reimbursements.
- Organize and maintain faculty electronic files - correspondence, credentialing, licensing and certification, reference materials, publications, memberships, project expenses; Format requested documents as needed.
- Maintain and/or assist with CVs for assigned faculty members; Insure maintenance of up-to-date faculty profiles.
- Assist with meeting agenda preparation and have available supporting documents prior to meetings, if needed; Assist faculty in the preparation of presentations and publications
- Conducts information-related research as needed using the Internet, professional publications, library resources, networking and other sources.
- Provides coverage for DCRI reception desk on a rotating schedule.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
Required Qualifications at this Level
Education/Training: This position requires excellent writing, editing, reading, and speaking skills normally acquired through two or more years of post-secondary education in administration or a related business field.
Experience: Work requires 2 years related business or administrative experience to become familiar with general personnel practices, accounting and budgeting principles and coordination of major office activities.
OR ANY OTHER EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE.
Skills: Proficiency in use of Microsoft Office applications of Word, Excel and Power Point. Also knowledge and ability to use Outlook for standard business functions, including calendaring. Knowledge and previous use of EndNote a plus.
- Ability to communicate effectively with people from any level of the organization and from many diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to use computer-based financial databases and systems.
- Efficient time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize tasks.
- Self-motivated and effective in a team setting.
- Ability to perform a variety of important, confidential and complex tasks with constantly changing priorities.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas-an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a broad knowledge of clerical and accounting principles and practices normally acquired through two years of post-secondary education in secretarial science or a related business field.
Work generally requires three years of related secretarial/clerical experience to acquire skills necessary to administer complex office functions related to office management, communications, and budgetary/accounting activities. OR and equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Associate In Research, Biomedical Engineering, United States, 24 days ago
Position ID:Duke -BME -DUKEKNIGHTINGALE [#25425, 1420] Position Title: Position Type:Other Position Location:Durham, North Carolina 27708, United States [map ] Subject Area: Engineering / Biomed...
Associate In Research, Biomedical Engineering, United States, 24 days ago
Position ID:Duke -BME -DUKEKYLE1 [#25434, 1420] Position Title: Position Type:Other Position Location:Durham, North Carolina 27708, United States [map ] Subject Area: Engineering / Biomedical Ap...
Tenure Track Assistant Professor Faculty Position Medical Imaging, Nature Careers, United States, 4 days ago
The Duke University Department of Biomedical Engineering (Duke BME) in the Pratt School of Engineering is seeking applicants for one Tenure-track Assistant Professor faculty position in the broad ...
Executive Director Of Energy Services, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, United States, 8 days ago
Posting Information Posting Information Department ES Admin-227010 Career Area Other Posting Open Date 09/05/2023 Application Deadline Open Until Filled Yes Position Type Permanent Staff (EHRA NF)...
Walker Percy Assistant Professor In Poetry, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, United States, about 16 hours ago
Posting Information Posting Information Department English and Comp Literature - 311500 Posting Open Date 09/21/2023 Application Deadline 10/20/2023 Open Until Filled No Position Type Permanent Fa...
Department Administrator, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, United States, 17 days ago
Posting Information Posting Information Department Study Abroad-313800 Career Area Academic Administration Is this an internal only recruitment? No Posting Open Date 08/25/2023 Application Deadlin...