Bachelor's degree in an environmental, natural, or applied science, or related field or equivalent and three years related experience.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Provides professional knowledge and expertise in the operation and support of occupational safety and fire prevention programs in compliance with regulatory agencies, national guidelines and institutional policies.
Department Marketing Statement
The University Of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB Health) provides world class healthcare, research and academics. The Environmental Health and Safety Department is seeking qualified candidates for the full time position of Senior Occupational Safety and Fire Prevention Specialist (aka Sr. Specialist). The desired candidate will have senior level experience in Fire and Life Safety programs. Preferred experience would come from the healthcare sector, however commercial and industrial experience will be considered. Construction project experience and emergency response experience is desired.
UTMB Health is looking for a multi-disciplined EHS professional that has a strong background utilizing problem solving skills across varied disciplines in general and specifically to include The Joint Commission and Environment of Care compliance, construction project management for safety, fire safety program development and fire systems testing/inspection. The Sr. Specialist will play a key role in developing, implementing, and managing EHS policies, procedures and programs across several of UTMB Health’s campuses in order to maintain a safe and healthy environment for our patients, visitors and employees.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Specific Job Related Duties
- Initiates audits to develop and ensure administrative and engineering controls are appropriate for the level of risk and design of the facility. Effectively communicates findings and ensures corrective actions
- Monitors effectiveness of multidisciplinary problem resolution activities
- Plays a key role in the construction teams during the expansion and renovation of facilities.
- Assures that inspections and testing of fire safety systems and equipment meets safety and compliance goals.
- Anticipates, develops and implements methods needed to remain state of the art in the field.
- Keeps current in field and immediately utilizes and applies new information fully.
- Identifies problems or non-compliance issues. Knows, understands and identifies all areas of expertise needed to resolve problems and then coordinates a team of those with needed expertise.
- Monitors and takes actions on projects to ensure completion.
- Recommends and/or develops action plans for problem resolution.
- Constantly seeks opportunities for process improvement.
- Reviews proposed state and federal regulations and develops comments appropriate to UTMB to be conveyed to UTMB, UT Systems and regulatory agencies.
- Fosters a learning environment.
- Actively participates in committees and provides reports and follow up action plans
- Adheres to internal controls and reporting structure.
- Performs related duties as required.
PREFERED EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE: Master’s degree in related field or applied science discipline and 5 years of related experience
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP)
- Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH)
- Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM)
- Certified Healthcare Facilities Manager (CHFM)
Equal Employment Opportunity
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Title: Sr. Occupational Safety & Fire Prevention Specialist
Job ID: 56663
Business Unit: FACSV
Third Assistant Engineer Temporary, Texas A&M University, United States, about 3 hours ago
Job Title Third Assistant Engineer--TEMPORARY Agency Texas A&M University at Galveston Department Personnel Office Proposed Minimum Salary $25.32 hourly Job Location Galveston, Texas Job Type Temp...
Chief Mate, Texas A&M University, United States, about 3 hours ago
Job Title Chief Mate Agency Texas A&M University at Galveston Department Ship Operations Proposed Minimum Salary $6,563.59 monthly Job Location Galveston, Texas Job Type Staff Job Description Qual...
Public Safety Officer Ii, University of Texas of the Permian Basin, United States, 9 days ago
We are looking for an enthusiastic team player to support the Police Department as a PUBLIC SAFETY OFFICER II. In this full time position you will provide supervisory skills to direct a Guard/Pub...
Master Of The Training Ship, Texas A&M University, United States, about 3 hours ago
Job Title Master of the Training Ship Agency Texas A&M University at Galveston Department Ship Operations Proposed Minimum Salary $8,033.59 monthly Job Location Galveston, Texas Job Type Staff Job...
First Assistant Engineer Temporary, Texas A&M University, United States, about 3 hours ago
Job Title First Assistant Engineer--TEMPORARY Agency Texas A&M University at Galveston Department Personnel Office Proposed Minimum Salary $37.27 hourly Job Location Galveston, Texas Job Type Temp...
Administrative Coordinator I, Texas A&M University, United States, 12 days ago
Job Title Administrative Coordinator I Agency Texas A&M University at Galveston Department Idc Research Management Proposed Minimum Salary $2,919.17 monthly Job Location Galveston, Texas Job Type ...