The Environmental Specialist is responsible for assisting the Associate Director of Environmental Management in the on-going management of the environmental programs at Boston University (BU) and Boston Medical Center (BMC). The position is responsible for the safe and compliant management of radioactive, universal, and hazardous waste at both BU campuses and BMC, conducting compliance audits of environmental programs across BU and BMC departments, improving environmental management systems through the assessment of work practices and to improve program efficiencies and to identify gaps in compliance. The position works closely with the Associate Director and Program Manager to ensure Environmental compliance at BU, BUMC and BMC.
- Join a face paced work environment providing service across all university and hospital operations
- Be part of a diverse EHS team with over 500 years of combined experience across all EHS disciplines
- Collaboratively work with other departments for BU’s sustainability efforts relating to waste minimization
- Have the benefits of working within a large university, which includes generous medical, dental, retirement, and tuition remission benefits .
- Help with managing the collection, storage, accumulation, and disposal of radioactive, hazardous, biological, universal, and electronic wastes
- Help with managing hazardous waste contract personnel
- Maintain organized and compliant environmental records
- Maintain waste facilities and associated equipment in an organized, efficient and complaint condition
- Monitor equipment and supplies inventory. Identify and implement cost reduction measures
- Help with managing laboratory decontamination and decommissioning projects
- Help with assessing environmental compliance through inspections and audits
- Help maintain laboratory wastewater treatment systems
- Help maintain environmental monitoring systems
- B.A./B.S. in a related field. (Environmental management, Environmental Engineering, Chemistry)
- 3-5 years of experience
- Laboratory or hazardous chemical handling experience
- Ability to regularly perform physical tasks including drum handling, lifting, standing for long periods, walking, and hazardous chemical handling
- Basic mechanical skills
- RCRA/DOT certification or ability to obtain
- OSHA HAZWOPER 40-hour Certification or ability to obtain
- 2-I Wastewater Operator License or ability to obtain
- Valid driver’s license
- Basic computer skills (business systems, Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Proficient communicator
- Successful completion of a pre-placement physical
- Environmental management experience in the academic or healthcare industry
- Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM) or other EHS professional certification
- Experience in maintaining and servicing wastewater systems
- Experience in permitting air emissions and waste water equipment
- Experience in compliance inspections with external environmental regulators
Please note all newly hired staff and faculty will need to be in compliance with Boston University’s COVID-19 Vaccination and Booster Requirement within 30 days of date of hire. You must upload your vaccine documentation or request a medical or religious exemption (instructions ). For further information on the University’s response to COVID-19, please visit the COVID-19 Resources site.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, military service, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, or because of marital, parental, or veteran status. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Environmental Program Manager, Northeastern University, United States, about 1 hour ago
About the Opportunity The Environmental Program Manager (EPM) reports to the Associate Director of Environmental Compliance and Occupational Safety (ECOS) and is responsible for developing, implem...
Science Laboratory Manager Roxbury Community College, Roxbury Community College, United States, 17 days ago
Details Posted: 12-May-23 Location: Roxbury, Massachusetts Salary: Open Categories: Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 162314 Location: Roxbury, MA Category: Staff Posted On: Thu May 11 20...
Zero Waste Program Manager, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), United States, 23 days ago
Details Posted: 05-May-23 Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Facilities//Maintenance/Trades Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 22697 Information on MIT'...
Zero Waste Program Manager, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States, about 5 hours ago
Information on MIT’s COVID-19 vaccination requirement can be found at the bottom of this posting. ZERO WASTE PROGRAM MANAGER, Facilities-Grounds Services, to be responsible for the management of a...
Research Animal Specialist Ii | Mgh Cancer Center, MGH Institute of Health Professions, United States, 13 days ago
Details Posted: 15-May-23 Location: Boston, Massachusetts Salary: Unpaid Categories: Education/Training Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 3239633-3499_1683994832 OVERVIEW STATEMENT: As a Resea...
Lab Safety Support Officer, Tufts University, United States, 23 days ago
Details Posted: 05-May-23 Location: Medford, Massachusetts Salary: Open Categories: Staff/Administrative Internal Number: 18895 Overview The Office of the Vice Provost of Research (OVPR) provides ...