Job Posting Closing Times: Job postings are removed from advertising at 12:00 A.M. on the closing date e.g., at midnight on the day before the closing date.
If you are a current Austin Community College employee, please click this link to apply through your Workday account .
Austin Community College is a public two-year institution that serves a diverse population of approximately 41,000 credit students each Fall and Spring semester. We embrace our identity as a community college, as reflected in our mission statement. We promote student success and community development by providing affordable access, through traditional and distance learning modes, to higher education and workforce training, including appropriate applied baccalaureate degrees, in our service area.
As a community college committed to our mission, we seek to recruit and retain a workforce that:
Reflects the diversity of our community
Values intellectual curiosity and innovative teaching
Is attracted by the college's mission to promote equitable access to educational opportunities
Cares about student success and collaborates on strategies to facilitate success for under-represented populations
Welcomes difference and models respectful interaction with others
Engages with the community both within and outside of ACC
Commitment to Equity and Inclusion
ACC is committed to the ongoing systemic changes needed to ensure the increased recruitment, inclusion, retention, and completion of historically underserved and underrepresented populations. Through continual strategic community engagement and professional development of administrators, faculty, staff, and students, the college demonstrates its dedication to fostering a culture and climate for equitable outcomes.
ACC is proud to serve a diverse student body as an open-access and low-cost institution. Dedicated faculty members are excellent professors who help students achieve their educational goals and are sensitive to our students' diverse cultures and socio-economic backgrounds. In 2017 our faculty adopted a Statement of ACC Faculty Values. This Statement affirms that ACC's faculty members value collaboration, service, agency, scholarship, inclusion, and teaching, all of which attest to our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion at the heart of our mission.
Job Posting Title:Specialist, Area of Study Advising (Student Affairs) (NRG)
Job Description Summary:To provide academic advising and related student support services and to facilitate Austin Community College's (ACC) Guided Pathways model. Work may be performed in-person or virtually.
Description of Duties and Tasks
1) Guides students during advising sessions regarding educational issues such as course and program selection, class scheduling, TSI compliance, Academic Standard Progress, adjustment to college life, study habits, career planning, and financial wellness.
2) Supports students during advising sessions with the application, award, and administration of financial aid to ensure eligible students have access to and leverage federal and state aid for the completion of academic awards.
3) Assesses needs for assistance, financial aid, or additional training, and refers students to the appropriate services.
4) Responsible for effective caseload management and implementation of interventions that promote student success and retention, with special emphasis supporting students who are academically at-risk/under-prepared.
5) Educates individuals using basic coaching techniques to help them understand and overcome personal, social, or behavioral challenges affecting their educational or career/employment objectives.
6) Coordinates referrals to college and community services as needed, including student mental health counseling.
7) Reviews transcripts, Interpret test scores and other information to determine college readiness and compliance with the TSI.
8) Maintains expert advising knowledge of assigned Area(s) of Study.
9) Maintains accurate and complete student records as required by laws, institutional policies, and administrative regulations.
10) Prepares students for later educational experiences (transfer) by encouraging them to explore career opportunities and to persevere with challenging tasks.
11) Confers with instructors, administrators, and other professionals to discuss students' progress, resolve academic, financial, and other challenges, and to determine priorities for students and their resource needs.
12) Documents advising recommendations, directives, interventions, and other pertinent information in the district's various information management platforms; reply to emails and telephone calls timely regarding program or course issues.
13) Gathers data and prepare reports on students and activities as required by supervisor or ACC leadership.
14) Participates in and promote career- and employment-related programs and events, such as transfer/career planning presentations, work experience programs, job/transfer fairs, and career/transfer workshops.
* Understanding of and commitment to the principles and best practices associated with Student Success specifically, effective educational plan development, timely and effective academic coaching strategies, graduation and transfer processes, short-term services and activities that support program persistence and completion.
* Student databases, information management systems, caseload management, Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and general administrative support.
* Multicultural education programs and systems and the importance of cultural competence in promoting student success.
* College admissions and onboarding processes, program offerings and educational pathways, and managing the transition to college.
* Maintain an established work schedule including weekend and evening hours.
* Effective interpersonal and public speaking skills.
* Effective organizational and planning skills.
* Disseminate complex information effectively to the intended recipient.
* Maintain confidentiality of work-related information and materials.
* Establish and maintain effective working relationships that foster continued student success.
* Exhibit cultural competence when working with all students and other members of the college community.
* Demonstrate initiative, follow-through, tact, diplomacy, and good judgment in dealing with constituents.
* Use a variety of spreadsheet, word processing, database, and presentation software.
Required Work Experience
* Two years related work experience.
* Bachelor's degree.
Other Preferred Qualifications
* Bilingual: English - Spanish
* Work is performed in a standard office or similar environment.
* Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, pushing, and pulling.
* Occasional lifting of objects up to 10 pounds.
* Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
$41,600 - $51,045
Number of Openings:1
Job Posting Close Date:December 16, 2022
As required by the US Department of Education, employees are required to report violations under Title IX and, under the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), select individuals are required to report crimes. If this position is identified as a Campus Security Authority (Clery Act), you will be notified, trained, and provided resources for reporting.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC at its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of the job.
Director, Cnbs Ssc, The California State University, United States, 2 days ago
Campus: Dominguez Hills Job ID: 526010 Job Title: Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: March 17, 2023 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: Management Personnel Plan (MPP) Link to Apply Onli...
Director Of The Student Success Center For The College Of Health, Human Services And Nursing (Administrator Ii), The California State University, United States, 2 days ago
Campus: Dominguez Hills Job ID: 526011 Job Title: Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: March 17, 2023 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: Management Personnel Plan (MPP) Link to Apply Onli...
Director Of The Student Success Center For The College Of Business Administration And Public Policy (Administrator Ii), The California State University, United States, 2 days ago
Campus: Dominguez Hills Job ID: 526005 Job Title: Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: March 17, 2023 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: Management Personnel Plan (MPP) Link to Apply Onli...
Academic Advisor, The California State University, United States, 9 days ago
Campus: Northridge Job ID: 525137 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: March 13, 2023 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: Academic Support (Unit 4...
Customer Relations Coordinator, The California State University, United States, 14 days ago
Campus: Pomona Job ID: 525025 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: March 7, 2023 Closing Date: March 21, 2023 Benefits Link: CSUEU (Unit 2, 5, 7, 9) Link to ...
Assistant Deputy Title Ix Coordinator And Civil Rights Resolution Specialist, California Institute of Technology, United States, 1 day ago
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on ...