The Research Services department of Princeton University Library is hiring a Special Collections Assistant IV to join a small team who collaboratively work with a variety of library materials in print, micro-format, and electronic formats. This position supports the operational work of Research Services related to subject librarian support, datasets, technical reports, ephemera and grey literature projects, government documents processing, and patron services.
The scope of the work includes:
- Assist with projects guided by subject librarians.
- Describe and digitize technical reports, and/or ephemera and grey literature.
- Process and maintain government documents collection in print and micro-format, and maintain reference collection.
- Curation of datasets.
- Assist with assessing the preservation needs of the Research Services print and micro-format specialized collections.
- Assist with projects involving digitization of technical reports and/or ephemera and grey literature.
- Assist with maintenance of online resources including SpringShare LibGuides.
- Conduct inventory, search PUL’s catalog and other bibliographic utilities such as OCLC, create bibliographic records and edit or add metadata in digital repository.
- Assist with physical arrangement and organization for physical materials from several library locations in Research Services under the guidance of subject librarians.
- Curation and archiving of datasets on obsolete formats. Handle the conversion and archiving of datasets (format conversion, file storage, technical processes) with supervision from subject librarians.
- Process new government documents materials utilizing acquisitions and cataloging operations. Maintain designated collections of the department (e.g. government documents in print, microfiche and electronic formats, general reference collection). Engage in re-shelving and assist with collection-related projects as requested.
- Three to five years of library or equivalent experience that demonstrates the ability to perform detailed analytical work with bibliographic information or datasets. Some technical experience with data files is required.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English with a variety of library staff in written and oral form.
- Experience working with the public in a customer-service oriented field.
- Ability to function within a small team working collaboratively.
- Ability to manage time and projects effectively.
- Facility with internet searching.
- Intermediate computer skills including proficiency in scanning operations, and basic knowledge of computer hardware, printers, and imaging equipment.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Research services and library public services orientation.
- Working knowledge of ALMA, Voyager modules or other library ILS system.
- Working knowledge of spreadsheet software, e.g. Excel and/or Google Sheets.
- Working knowledge of image editing software and scanning workflows.
- Ability to shift books and lift boxes up to 20 pounds.
- Work in a variety of environmental conditions.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW .
LIB-Amer Fed State County Mun Emps
Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University job offers are contingent upon the candidate’s successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. The type and extent of background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening may vary depending on the requirements and/or functions of the job and the candidate’s current employment status with Princeton University.
Go to our careers site.
Postdoctoral Researcher In Plankton Imaging And Ocean Biogeochemical Modeling, Princeton University, United States, about 16 hours ago
The Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences Program at Princeton University, in association with NOAA's Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory (GFDL), seeks a postdoctoral or more senior scientist to work...
Postdoctoral Research Associate On Decadal To Centennial Scale Sea Level Rise, Princeton University, United States, about 16 hours ago
The Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences Program at Princeton University, in association with NOAA's Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory (GFDL) and Center for Operational Oceanographic Products and ...
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Rutgers University, United States, 30 days ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Postdoctoral Research Fellow Job Category Staff & Executive - Research (Laboratory/Non-Laboratory) Department Inst-Hth,Hth Care Pol&Agng Res Overview New...
Postdoctoral Fellow, Rutgers University, United States, 6 days ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Postdoctoral Fellow Job Category Staff & Executive - Research (Laboratory/Non-Laboratory) Department Inst-Hth,Hth Care Pol&Agng Res Overview New Jersey’s...
Temporary Research Assistant, Rutgers University, United States, 3 days ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Temporary Research Assistant Job Category Staff & Executive - Research (Laboratory/Non-Laboratory) Department RWJ-CABM Overview New Jersey’s academic hea...
Research Assistant Per Diem, Rutgers University, United States, 16 days ago
Position Details Recruitment/Posting Title Research Assistant Per Diem Job Category Staff & Executive - Research Support (Laboratory/Non-Laboratory) Department Rutgers School of Dental Medicine Ov...