Title: Software Engineering and Programming Associate
Division: Molecular and Human Genetics
Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8 AM - 5 PM
Work Location: Hybrid
Salary Range: $90,000 - $125,000
FLSA Status: Exempt
Requisition ID: 11625
Are you looking to leverage your full-stack or microservice development experience into a new job?
Are you skilled in NodeJS and familiar with databases (relation, NoSQL, or graph) or message queues?
Are you interested in applying your enthusiasm and capability for software development to support genetic researchers?
The Bioinformatics Research Laboratory at Baylor College of Medicine is seeking a highly capable Software Engineering and Programming Associate to join our team.
Help us drive innovation and support research by applying your full-stack or microservice development experience. You will contribute software solutions in support of high impact National Institutes of Health (NIH) funded projects, with a focus on implementing web services, automating data processing pipelines, and developing or extending data repositories.
Ideally, you have excellent NodeJS experience, are comfortable developing for the front- and back-end, and are self-motivated to learn about and incorporate new technologies or tools into your software solutions. You have experience working with diverse kinds of databases, with REST APIs, or with message queues such as Kafka, Pulsar, or RabbitMQ.
This position is eligible for a hybrid remote/WFH arrangement.
- Design, implement, test, and debug novel software and tools.
- Maintain, extend, and integrate existing software.
- Collaborate within a development team regarding requirements, timelines, tasks, and interoperability.
- Ensure that project software and tools are developed, tested and delivered on time.
- Create databases and design web API and UI services to support data set analysis and presentation.
- Support end-users and fellow developers by authoring documentation, as well as following collaboration standard practices.
- Bachelor's degree. Four years of relevant experience may substitute for degree requirement.
- Two years of relevant experience.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Information Technology or a related field.
- Full-stack experience in NodeJS and able to design, implement, and test generic software solutions with an emphasis on reusability, as well as to extend existing systems.
- Knowledge and experience with development, compilation, and deployment in a GNU/Linux server environment is required.
- Some experience with Ruby, including Rails, is a plus.
- Able to present and discuss requirements, specifications, backend and UI designs, create necessary test data, test software, and prepare documentation.
- Able to contribute to and use shared object-oriented code libraries.
- Functional familiarity with standard web technologies such as Ajax, CSS, HTML, REST APIs, JSON.
- Experience authoring web API services and front-ends, such as Vue or web components, is an advantage.
- Experience with document, graph, and relational databases is an advantage, as is experience with message queues.
- Experience with good software engineering practices, with designing and developing software solutions to specifications and according to local standards and practices, with the use of version control systems, and with the use of integrated development environments (IDEs).
- Must have excellent English-language communication skills, interpersonal skills, and be capable of working within a team of biologists and developers.
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
CA; CH; DI
Senior Software Developer, University of Canterbury, New Zealand, 7 days ago
Te Ratonga Tautoko Hangarau | Digital Services Located in Ōtautahi | Christchurch, Aotearoa | New Zealand Full-time at 37.5 hours per week (1.0 FTE) Continuing (i.e. permanent) position Kia hiwa r...
Software Engineer (F/M/D), Leibniz, Germany, 18 days ago
The Bioinformatics and Information Technology (BIT) group is responsible for the IPK wide infrastructural backbone for research data management. A core service is the data sharing and data public...
Temporary Web Developer, Wesleyan University, United States, about 11 hours ago
Position Information Position Information Job Posting Number T00718 Position Title Temporary Web Developer Department Creative Services -1199 Job Category Temporary Posting Pay Type Hourly Salary ...
Web Application Developer, Arizona State University, United States, 22 days ago
81689BR Off-Campus: Scottsdale Web Application Developer (IT) Job Description EdPlus at ASU is seeking a motivated, self-directed Web Application Developer to join our high-performing Digital Prod...
Web Development Educator , Waikato Institute of Technology, New Zealand, 5 days ago
About the role We are looking for a Web Development Educator to apply their professional and educational skills to help grow the web developers of the future. You’ll be part of a diverse team teac...
Assistant Manager, Educational Technology And Production, SINGAPORE UNIVERSITY OF SOCIAL SCIENCES, United Kingdom, 8 days ago
Job Description Application Development To provide, recommend and evaluate various possible solutions and clearly communicate the cost and benefits of the various solutions To design, develop and ...