Harvard Medical School
Facilitate complex accounting activities, serve as a subject matter expert, and provide analysis, reporting, and compliance applications.
The Wyss Institute’s mission is to transform healthcare and the environment by emulating the way nature builds. We harness the freedom of academia and the focus of industry in order to translate revolutionary technologies into commercial products and solutions. At the Wyss Institute, faculty from premier academic and clinical institutions, collaborate with staff scientists, postdocs, graduate students, industry experts, business development leaders, and entrepreneurs across disciplines to invent and de- risk new technologies that don’t just succeed at making it to the market – they disrupt it. We support research that universities, companies, and venture capital firms don’t fund because they view it as too risky. We prefer to use the word “challenging,” and we love challenges. For more information, visit: http://wyss.harvard.edu/
You are a collaborative, impact-focused problem solver with a strong attention to detail. You want to be part of a dynamic team dedicated to running the financial accounting and operations of an institute that provides novel approaches to global challenges in healthcare and sustainability. You adapt easily to changing priorities in a fast-pace environment. You enjoy working with diverse groups of people across all levels of the organization.
About the Role:
We are looking for Senior Accountant with significant expertise in accounting principles and tax regulations to join our Finance team. Reporting to the Director of Accounting and Reporting, you will assist in the management of the daily financial accounting and operations of the Institute.
What you’ll do:
- Support the Director of the Accounting and Reporting in preparing information and backups for annual standalone audit and tax IRS 990 & MA PC filings
- Perform the monthly, quarterly and annual close and provide flux analysis in the financial results for management review
- Develop and document processes, procedures, tools and train staff to comply with GAAP and other Harvard-wide accounting requirements
- Identify and develop enhanced financial reporting to facilitate the management and analysis of the daily financial operations of the Institute
- Provide guidance and conduct monthly internal control reviews on fixed asset management
- Oversee and manage accounting transactions, account reconciliations, journal entry verifications and other monthly reporting
- Conduct financial operation planning for space and facilities
- Execute other special ad-hoc projects as required
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others
Typical Core Duties
- Review and approve staff-developed journal entries
- May function as subject matter expert or project lead on accounting
- Responsible for complex analysis
- Develop accurate and timely financial reporting
- Implement solutions for complex accounting and financial reporting issues
- May prepare tax documentation and financial statements
- Enhance the control environment by monitoring accounting processes and systems; may recommend process changes and improvements
- Provide staff mentoring and training
- Ensure financial compliance with University policies and procedures, audit and accounting disclosure requirements, and applicable legal rules and regulations
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or equivalent work experience required
- Minimum of 7 years’ relevant work experience
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- MBA or Master’s degree in relevant field preferred
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, intermediate Excel skills
- Working knowledge of budget management, financial analysis and financial modeling
- Advanced knowledge of accounting principles and tax regulations
- Demonstrated experience with financial systems and data query tools
- High level of attention to detail
- Strong written and oral communication skills are essential in a fast paced team environment
- Familiarity with Harvard systems and policies is highly desirable
Work is performed in an office setting.
The Wyss is currently operating in a modified manner resulting from restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic. Until the Wyss returns to full operational status, this position will start as a remote position with transition to onsite at our Wyss campus in Boston, MA when the office reopens. The Wyss generally supports flexible work arrangements, subject to business need. These options will be discussed and evaluated upon hire.
Harvard is unable to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Why you’ll like working with us:
At the Wyss Institute, you’re a member of a supportive, dynamic community that is united by its shared goal of changing the world through groundbreaking technology development and commercialization. We encourage your professional growth and development through mentorship and tuition reimbursement to support continued learning, and more. We also support your physical, financial, and mental well-being through generous time off benefits, gym reimbursements, and other programs offered through Harvard. We value an inclusive and diverse workforce, and believe that our differences enrich the work environment for all.
Our outstanding benefits package includes:
- Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan contributions from 5% to 15% of eligible compensation, based on age and earnings with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
- Facilities access and Discounts: Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Not ready to apply?Join our talent community to stay up to date on career information and the latest news from the Wyss Institute
USA - MA - Boston
F0058P Accountant IV
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Credit, Criminal, Education, Identity
Monday through Friday, 9am - 5pm
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Sr. Customer Service Representative, Harvard University Financial Administration, United States, 21 days ago
Harvard's Financial Administration Department (FAD) is responsible for the stewardship of the University's finances, including related business processes and technology. FAD is dedicated to suppor...
Associate Director, Identity And Access Management, Harvard University Information Technology, United States, 21 days ago
Please provide a cover letter with your application and upload as one document. Please note: Harvard University requires pre-employment reference and background screening. We are unable to provide...
Senior Grants And Contracts Manager, Harvard University T.H. Chan School of Public Health, United States, 19 days ago
The mission of the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health is to advance the public's health through learning, discovery and communication. To pursue the mission, the school produces knowledge ...
Staff Assistant Iii (Administrative Assistant), Harvard University T.H. Chan School of Public Health, United States, 19 days ago
The Planetary Health Alliance (PHA) is the leading organization at the forefront of planetary health, a new, rapidly growing global field focused on the human health impacts of our disruption and ...
Associate Director Of Financial Aid, Harvard University T.H. Chan School of Public Health, United States, 27 days ago
At the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, we believe that diversity is integral to the Harvard experience and our mission of improving public health education, research and policy. Diversi...
Technical Support Engineer, Harvard University Information Technology, United States, 21 days ago
Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is a community of Information Technology professionals committed to understanding our users and devoted to making it easier for faculty, students, ...