220,945! That is the number of entries in the Human Metabolome database. As a metabolomics expert in the Translational Profiling group within the Chemical Biology and Therapeutics department of NIBR, you will have the opportunity to use your knowledge in this fascinating field between chemistry and biology in the development of innovative medicines to improve lives of patients. The Translational Profiling group is a global team of proteomics, metabolomics, imaging and data science expertise, located in Basel, Switzerland and Cambridge, MA sites. We lead break-through therapeutic innovation in drug discovery by reimagining analytical technologies.
We are seeking a Senior Scientist-Metabolomics to be based out of our Cambridge, MA office. In this role, you will have experience in mass spectrometry as applied to targeted quantitative analysis and profiling of endogenous metabolites, lipodomics expertise, and with a passion for applying analytical expertise to solve challenging biological questions in support of our innovative drug discovery efforts. Join this amazing team, bring your passion and expertise and make an immediate impact today!
What you’ll be doing: Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• In collaboration with project partners, design and execute experiments from sample preparation, LC-MS analysis, to data processing and analysis.
• Data interpretation under supervision toward addressing the project’s key scientific questions.
• Document your work using internal documentation system.
• Present key outcomes of experiments to the project team and plan follow-up steps to further advance the project.
• Develop and implement new LC-MS methods based on project needs.
• Contribute to assessing and implementing state of art analytical methodologies to augment the group’s technology portfolio and expand its abilities to elucidate the role of metabolism in diseases and response to therapeutics.
This position will be located at the Cambridge, MA site and will not have the ability to be located remotely. This position will require 0% travel as defined by the business (domestic and/ or international).
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
What you’ll bring to the role: (required)
• M.S. in Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, or related field with 3+ years relevant experience or B.S. in related fields with 7+ years of relevant experience in Pharma/Biotech.
• Experience in biological mass spectrometry and metabolomics including, but not limited to: quantitative targeted/multi-targeted LC-MS analyses of endogenous small molecules, i.e., metabolites and lipids; metabolic profiling of samples originating from complex biological matrices, such as cell culture, biofluids, and organ tissues.
• Experience in sample preparation and extraction protocols from different cell types, tissues and biofluids of animal or human origin to generate material for mass spectrometric analysis of endogenous small molecules.
• You are well trained in operating and troubleshooting LC-MS instrumentation, developing LC-MS methods of endogenous metabolites, mass spectrometric data processing, interpretation, quantitative analysis, and performing statistic tests. Coding skill to develop your own solutions is a plus.
• Demonstrated diligence in protocoling experiments, data and results in electronic lab journal or laboratory information management systems.
• Critical and creative problem-solving skills with independent thinking.
• Good oral and written English communication skills. Track record in publishing scientific peer reviewed articles or presentation on scientific meetings is a plus.
766 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2021, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations: The Novartis Group of Companies are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] call +1 (877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $88K-121,000 a year; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, restricted stock units, and discretionary awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered.
Scientific Editor Cell Chemical Biology, Cell Press, United States, 2 days ago
Scientific Editor-Cell Chemical Biology Do you enjoy being part of a team that collaborates to deliver success? Do you enjoy learning new areas of research? Title of the role: Scientific editor, f...
Laboratory Technician, Harvard University, United States, 8 days ago
25-Jan-2023 Faculty of Arts and Sciences 61284BR Job Summary Under the direction of the PI and senior scientists, the Laboratory Technician will be responsible for the daily maintenance of human p...
Technical Associate I, Bhatia Lab, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States, about 7 hours ago
Information on MIT’s COVID-19 vaccination requirement can be found at the bottom of this posting. TECHNICAL ASSOCIATE I, BHATIA LAB , Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research, to join a dyna...
Editor In Chief/Legal Editor – Star Protocols, Elsevier Inc., United States, 3 days ago
Editor in Chief/Legal Editor – STAR Protocols Your new role: Are you passionate about the importance of reproducibility in science? Are you interested in developing a product that helps researcher...
Laboratory Technician, Harvard University, United States, 5 days ago
27-Jan-2023 Faculty of Arts and Sciences 61348BR Job Summary The Macklis Lab is directed toward (1) understanding molecular controls and mechanisms over neuron sub-type development, diversity, axo...
Business Development Manager – Us East Coast, BioLamina AB, United States, 23 days ago
If you have a desire to make a difference and want to be part of a team striving to enable the transformation of future medicine, we have an exciting opportunity. We are looking for a Business Dev...