Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
*This position is a 3 year term.*
As a member of the project management team in the Facilities Design and Construction Department, the Senior Project Manager reports to the Senior Director of Design and Construction.
The Senior Project Manager’s primary responsibility is for the management of capital improvement projects and annual laboratory and office renewal projects within the Caltech complex. The role involves working on complex projects for various Divisions and Departments that requires thorough knowledge of project management best practices from project inception through project close-out. Additional responsibilities include providing project management oversight and mentoring of Project Engineers and Assistants and Associate Project Managers, as assigned.
Duties include, but are not limited to, conducting comprehensive research on project needs, integrating project functions within the framework of ongoing activities within the Institute, advising customers on complex project plans, overseeing design and construction of multiple projects, preparing budgets, schedules, scopes of work, and status reports. In addition, this position is responsible for developing and negotiating construction contracts; managing the bidding process, contract award, documentation, invoices, change orders, commissioning, and close-out of the projects. The Senior Project Manager must maintain close working relationships with management, Institute clients, and outside professionals.
- Oversee all aspects of the project which includes, but is not limited to, construction, contractors, costs, quality, timeline, etc.
- Work collaboratively with other Divisions/Departments in developing project scope and associated project cost related details.
- Oversee/direct all necessary documentation in preparation for bidding.
- Manage the bidding process in collaboration with the Procurement Officer.
- Negotiate complex design and construction contracts with the Office of General Counsel and Procurement Officer.
- Provide design and construction administration support, coordinating with engineering consultants and in-house staff to review construction documents, submittals, RFIs, and field observation reports.
- Establish budget estimates and ensure projects are delivered within budget constraints.
- Develop complete project schedules and ensure that projects are delivered on time.
- Establish and manage construction progress through meetings, consultations, and field observations.
- Review and approve the design and construction for adherence to Caltech design standards, project specifications, and local and government standards and requirements.
- Prepare progress and financial reports for all ongoing projects.
- Advise customers on complex project plans; effectively manage customer expectations during the planning, execution, and closure of projects by anticipating challenges and developing contingency plans accordingly.
- Identify and correct quality issues and program budgets during the different stages of the project.
- Ensure maintenance of complete and accurate files suitable for audit purposes on all projects.
- Provide construction support, coordination with contractors, facilities management personnel, and customers.
- Perform other related duties as assigned including Emergency Operation Center Support when required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BA/BS degree, preferably in engineering, construction management, architecture, or other related discipline.
- Minimum eight years’ work experience in project management or construction management of new building and/or renovation projects.
- Must have a LEED AP or LEED GA certification or the ability to obtain one within 12 months of employment.
- Must have Project Management Professional certification or Certified Construction Manager or the ability to obtain one within 12 months of employment.
- Complete OSHA 10-hour Construction Training within six months of employment and refresher training every four years.
- Strong oral and written communication skills are required, as is the ability to effectively communicate with all levels of management and other professionals.
- Proficient in the use of MS Outlook, Word, Excel, and Project.
- Must be able to lift and carry 25 lbs., walk half a mile unaided, climb ladders and stairs, and enter and leave excavations for the purpose of observing and planning work.
- Institutional and Higher Education project experience.
- Laboratory project experience.
- State of California licensed professional.
- AiM Capital Planning and Project Management (CPPM) or other project management systems expertise.
Minor Capital Program Manager, The California State University, United States, 14 days ago
Campus: Northridge Job ID: 503556 Job Title: Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: October 13, 2021 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: Management Personnel Plan (MPP) Link to Apply Online:...
Space Management Analyst (Aa/S Eii), The California State University, United States, 13 days ago
Campus: Pomona Job ID: 506016 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: October 14, 2021 Closing Date: October 28, 2021 Benefits Link: CSUEU (Unit 2, 5, 7, 9) Lin...
Supervising Electrician, The California State University, United States, 14 days ago
Campus: Pomona Job ID: 505964 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: October 13, 2021 Closing Date: October 27, 2021 Benefits Link: Skilled Crafts (Unit 6) Lin...
Administrator Of Innovation Initiatives (Associate, Academic & Institutional Studies Iii), The California State University, United States, 24 days ago
Campus: Pomona Job ID: 63218 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: October 1, 2021 Closing Date: October 15, 2021 Benefits Link: CSUEU (Unit 2, 5, 7, 9) Link ...
Innovation Initiatives Coordinator (Administrative Analyst/Specialist Exempt Ii), The California State University, United States, 24 days ago
Campus: Pomona Job ID: 63217 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: October 1, 2021 Closing Date: October 15, 2021 Benefits Link: CSUEU (Unit 2, 5, 7, 9) Link ...
Senior Coordinator, Product Design Program, Art Center College of Design, United States, 8 days ago
Qualifications 5–7 years of administrative support experience Excellent written and oral communication skills, detail-oriented, highly organized, able to balance priorities, takes initiative, reli...