The Environmental Analytical Facility (EAF) at the University of Massachusetts Boston is seeking a Senior Laboratory Scientist to assist with the chemical analysis of environmental samples and to assist in technical and operational management of the EAF. The qualified candidate will be responsible for facilitating work-flow management of chemical analysis of waters, sediments, soils, and biological (chiefly invertebrate) tissues. The Senior Laboratory Scientist will establish and maintain a well-organized lab environment; will provide guidance in the use of laboratory materials and equipment; will provide safety protocols associated with experiments and equipment; and will monitor lab courses as they take place to ensure the correct execution, operation of equipment and compliance to standard operating procedures. The Senior Laboratory Scientist will also orient and assist in the training of undergraduate and graduate students as Laboratory Assistants; and will assist in the development of new analytical methods, as directed.
Examples of Duties:
- Assist students, faculty, staff, and outside users with chemical analyses of environmental samples within the EAF;
- Train students, faculty, staff, and outside users in proper methods for instrumental analysis of environment samples within the EAF;
- Work with internal and external users on the appropriate EAF operating guidelines, and ensure that all UMass Boston core facility policies and procedures are communicated and complied with;
- Analyze environmental samples using instruments housed in the EAF;
- Establish and maintain a well-organized laboratory environment; set-up, maintain and organize prep space environments to accommodate the needs of the laboratory preparation classes of users of the EAF, including cleanliness and safety of the laboratory according to established standards and procedures and EHS guidelines, such as storage and handling of chemicals, liquid nitrogen, hazardous waste, analytical instrumentation and other equipment, as well as the disposal of contaminants, washing and cleaning labware;
- Maintain the organization of the inventory of laboratory disposables, as well as reusable hardware and equipment; maintain inventories of chemicals, preserved specimens, frozen samples, and other laboratory supplies and assist in ordering additional supplies as necessary;
- Serve as a principal investigator and/or co-principal investigator on research proposals submitted to outside funding agencies;
- Teach a class on instrumental analysis to upper level undergraduate and graduate students interested in analyzing the chemistry of environmental samples.
- Provide other EAF related duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. degree in Chemistry, Earth or Ocean/Marine Sciences, Biology, Physics, or another closely related field with a minimum of five years of experiences in instrumental analyses of environmental samples, or other samples composed of similar complex matrices; relevant Master’s degree of higher is preferred;
- Experience with inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (ICP-MS) or isotope ratio mass spectrometry (IRMS), both are preferred, and the willingness to acquire the knowledge/training necessary to assist analyses using the other analytical instruments housed within the EAF;
- Laboratory skills that include experience with sample preparation, data analysis and management, quantitative instrumental analysis, clean-room experience, and the ability to work with EAF users including UMass faculty and students, as well as outside users from the Boston metropolitan area and beyond;
- Ability to provide direction, training and supervision to junior personnel, faculty, and students.
Additional desired skills:
- Extensive knowledge of current methods for research/data collection and instrumentation in chemical analyses of environmental samples, which are characterized by complex matrices;
- The ability to design and construct special purpose equipment for research synergistically utilizing/integrating current off the shelf technology;
- The ability to design, analyze, repair, and adapt complex electronic devices/instruments at the component level. Includes familiarity with embedded microprocessors;
- Experience with diagnosing instrumental errors and/or working closely with technical staff from major analytical instrument manufacturers to troubleshoot and fix analytical instrumentation.
- Write and submit research proposals for extramural funds and collaborate as a co-principal investigator with other SFE and College of Science and Mathematics faculty at UMass Boston.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter and list of three professional references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Only Internal candidates in the Professional Staff Bargaining Unit will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Salary Ranges for the appropriate Pay Grade can be found at the following link:
This is an exempt union position. This is a grant funded position with a current end date of October 31, 2023, subject to renewal contingent on funding and university needs.
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
UMass Boston requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and to confirm proof of their vaccination status. Exemptions from the vaccine requirement will be permitted only for qualifying religious or medical reasons. Regardless of vaccination status, you must wear a face covering in public indoor spaces on campus.
Technical Associate Ii, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States, 7 days ago
Information on MIT’s COVID-19 vaccination requirement can be found at the bottom of this posting. TECHNICAL ASSOCIATE 2, Research Laboratory of Electronics (RLE)-Photovoltaic Research Laboratory (...
Core Facility Co Manager, Harvard University, United States, 18 days ago
05-Jan-2023 Harvard Medical School 61122BR Position Description Position open for a Flow Cytometry Core Manager in the Department of Immunology at Harvard Medical School. This Flow Cytometry Facil...
Assistant Director & Chemical Hygiene Officer, Oars, Northeastern University, United States, 3 days ago
About the Opportunity This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. It is not intended to be construe...
Technical Associate I, Bhatia Lab, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States, 5 days ago
Information on MIT’s COVID-19 vaccination requirement can be found at the bottom of this posting. TECHNICAL ASSOCIATE I, BHATIA LAB , Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research, to join a dyna...
Director, Custodial Operations, Facilities Mgmt & Planning, Custodial Service (22500059531018), Boston University, United States, 8 days ago
The main purpose of the Director of Custodial Operations is to ensure all Boston University Campus buildings are kept functioning in a clean, sanitary, and safe condition for the benefit and use o...
Senior Associate Scientist, Pfizer, United States, 4 days ago
Senior Associate Scientist, High-Throughput Protein Production Pfizer's BioMedicine Design (BMD) High-Throughput Protein Production (HTP) group is seeking a highly motivated scientist to manage an...