|Functional Title:||Senior Enterprise Systems Engineer|
|Category Status:||33-Exempt Regular|
|Applicant Search Category:||Staff|
|University Authorized FTE:||100|
|Unit:||VPR-Applied Research Lab for Intelligence & Security|
Founded in 1856, University of Maryland, College Park is the state’s flagship institution. Our 1,250-acre College Park campus is just minutes away from Washington, D.C., and the nexus of the nation’s legislative, executive, and judicial centers of power. This unique proximity to business and technology leaders, federal departments and agencies, and a myriad of research entities, embassies, think tanks, cultural centers, and non-profit organizations is simply unparalleled. Synergistic opportunities for our faculty and students abound and are virtually limitless in the nation’s capital and surrounding areas. The University is committed to attracting and retaining outstanding and diverse faculty and staff that will enhance our stature of preeminence in our three missions of teaching, scholarship, and full engagement in our community, the state of Maryland, and in the world.
Offers of employment are contingent on completion of a background check. A prior criminal conviction or convictions will not automatically disqualify a finalist from employment in the position.
The University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University System of Maryland (USM) recently announced that students, faculty, and staff on USM campuses this fall, including UMD, are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMD, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any University of Maryland location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement at return.umd.edu and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or to obtain approval for a medical or religious exemption will result in the offer of employment being rescinded.
|Position Summary/Purpose of Position:||
The Senior Enterprise Systems Engineer will be responsible for providing high-level technical design, management, and troubleshooting expertise in support of the ARLIS mission critical IT infrastructure and related components, including 7 by 24 on-call engineering support when conditions warrant. The infrastructure includes all classified and unclassified administrative and research computational resources, servers, storage arrays/SANs, desktops, networks, telecommunications systems, cabling, and related software. It also includes a new cloud-first infrastructure environment that will be compliant with DoD regulations on handling Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI). Some of the duties below involve implementation and operation of the infrastructure in highly sensitive and classified national security environments.
Required: Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems Engineering or Electrical Engineering; Master’s degree in CS, EE, MIS, or a related discipline preferred.
Currently valid Security+ CE, CASP, CISSP, or similar DOD 8570 security certification; otherwise willingness to complete such credentials within one year
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in systems development and implementation, server installation and support, cloud systems deployment and support, and front-line technical support.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Broad knowledge of computer (hardware & software) installation and operations; particularly cloud-based virtualized server environments (Azure and AWS). Basic knowledge of server deployment, operation, and troubleshooting in cloud and hybrid cloud environments.
- In-depth knowledge of system (server and desktop) and storage virtualization, especially planning, design, implementation, and advanced troubleshooting of these infrastructures and environments.
- Broad knowledge of systems management, vulnerability management, and patch management software, systems, and procedures – especially system administration, security (e.g. – Windows Security Hardening tools, Nessus, etc.), and common monitoring tools for Windows, Linux, VMware, and SAN environments. Knowledge of NIST, DISA, and DoD vulnerability assessment and remediation policies, including STIGs and IAVAs.
- Knowledge of IP-based networking infrastructure, TCP/IP network stacks, and server/storage-related network configuration and troubleshooting.
- Basic knowledge of server facilities operations and maintenance (power, UPS, air conditioning, rack layouts, etc.)
U.S. CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED *ABILITY TO OBTAIN AND HOLD A U.S. GOVERNMENT TS/SCI SECURITY CLEARANCE AND UNDERTAKE A GOVERNMENT POLYGRAPH IF REQUIRED *
Current certification in MS Office365 administration or similar strongly preferred.
CE (Computer Environment) certification strongly preferred.
- Very good oral and written skills including the ability to document and communicate technical information in an understandable manner; ability to communicate in a wide variety of environments and with personnel at all leadership levels and with varying levels of technology experience.
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction as well as part of an interdisciplinary team.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in installation, operation, and troubleshooting Intel and AMD-based servers running Windows and Linux on both virtualized and physical platforms..
- At least two years experience implementing and operating high performance storage (both direct attached and networked), SANs, and backup systems/software.
- Hands-on experience using hardening, auditing, and security tools for Windows and Linux-based systems to maintain compliance with government and university security directives.
- Experience in installation, operation, and troubleshooting Intel-based servers running Linux, with a variety of system, application, DevOps, and network management packages.
- Experience in the implementation and operation of mixed Windows/Linux-based computing environments (particularly authentication/IAM and systems management).
-Support to deploy and operate cyber-physical test beds in support of complex sociotechnical system modeling and simulation efforts.
-Strong analytic skills.
|Job Risks||Not Applicable to This Position|
Ability to lift and install computers and networking equipment in a variety of environments including secure offices, computer labs, and IT closets; this may involve work under the facility raised floor and/or ceilings or other constrained environments. Sitting or standing for long periods of time in a variety of environments while configuring, troubleshooting, and/or monitor systems and infrastructure. Some responsibilities (e.g. – incident response/spills) may involve high consequence decision making and operation under significant stress.
|Open Until Filled||No|
|Best Consideration Date||12/31/2021|
The University of Maryland, College Park, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, creed, marital status, political affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of rights secured by the First Amendment, in all aspects of employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
Senior Network Engineer – Information Technology, Henry M. Jackson Foundation, United States, 16 days ago
Description Join the HJF Team! HJF is seeking a Senior Network Engineer to support the Information Technology (IT) Department, located at the HJF Home Office in Bethesda, MD. Helps users achieve o...
Senior It Infrastructure And Security Engineer, Georgetown University, United States, about 4 hours ago
Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation's capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitmen...
Research Scientist Ii Finite Element Analysis/Heat Transfer – Biotechnology High Performance Computing Software Applications Institute, Henry M. Jackson Foundation, United States, about 1 hour ago
Description Join the HJF Team! HJF is seeking a Research Scientist II to support the Finite Element Analysis/Heat Transfer – Biotechnology High-Performance Computing Software Applications Institut...
Data Analyst I (Remote) Center For Neuroscience And Regenerative Medicine, Henry M. Jackson Foundation, United States, about 1 hour ago
Description Join the HJF Team! HJF is seeking a Data Analyst I to support the Center for Neuroscience and Regenerative Medicine (CNRM) located at 6720B Rockledge Drive in Bethesda, Maryland. HJF p...
Container And Virtual Network Systems Administrator, Virginia Tech, United States, about 12 hours ago
Apply now Job no:518852 Work type:Staff Senior management: Vice President for Research Department: Hume Center Location:Blacksburg Area, Washington, D.C., Metro Area Categories:Information Systems...
Senior Computational Biologist – Murtha Cancer Center, Henry M. Jackson Foundation, United States, about 1 hour ago
Description Join the HJF Team! HJF is seeking a Senior Computational Biologist to support the Murtha Cancer Center (MCC) located at Uniformed Services University in Bethesda, Maryland HJF provides...