Harvard Medical School
This role is a key strategic leader within the Harvard Medical School IT department, who manages the finances of an approximately $50M department, and works with Harvard Medical School leadership to analyze and develop funding strategies for technology innovation at the medical school. Oversees and manages the budget, financial management, procurement, and accounting operations for the department, including oversight and financial management of IT research Cores, grants, and gifts.
Direct financial analysis and financial operations for the Information Technology department at Harvard Medical School. Prepares annual budgets, mid-year forecasts, multi-year financial plans, multi-year capital plans and monthly and quarterly management reporting and analyses. Present analytics and recommendations to management to facilitate strategic financial decision making.
- Direct and manage a budget of ~$50M
- Partner with IT Directors and Program Managers to estimate and track strategic investments for funding strategies and operational projections.
- Oversee financial operations including grant management and core facilities, and the department’s four finance staff.
- Assist with workforce planning, envisioning the IT staff of the future.
- Partner with IT application and service owners to develop requirements for financial planning, record keeping, and automated processes.
- In conjunction with Strategic Procurement and the HUIT Vendor Management Office, ensures contracts are negotiated and maintained at the optimum cost and benefit for HMS within budget.
- Evaluates and tracks financial aspects of service contracts , Asset Lifecycle Management, and long-term commitments.
- Acts as the primary liaison between IT and Research Administration.
- Lead and serve as advisor to committees that are working to identify the best method of revenue capture and recovery for services provided to HMS departments, as well as other Harvard schools or affiliated organizations Ensures research grants are managed in accordance within school and University policies. Partners with Research Administration team and project leads to evaluate project progress and effective financial planning.
- Ensures IT-based core facilities/service centers adhere to relevant school and university policies and processes including routine review of rates, annual budgeting, allocation of costs, and ongoing financial operations. Leads initiatives around the strategy of establishing new cores as a means of recouping costs for new IT initiatives.
- MBA, Master’s degree or equivalent work experience required
- Minimum of 10 years’ relevant work experience
- Supervisory experience
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree will be considered for candidates demonstrating appropriate drive and experience.
- Excellent analytical skills required
- Excellent communications skills required.
- Knowledge of research grant management preferred
- Knowledge of Federal Indirect cost rules preferred
- Ability to present complicated financial information to non-financial staff and leadership, in order to help facilitate decision making and show departmental managers how their decisions impact the financial health of the organization.
- Ability to drive change in a complicated matrix word environment, with multiple stakeholders and affiliated organizations.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, advanced Excel and PowerPoint skills
- Advanced knowledge of budget management, financial analysis and financial modeling; working knowledge of accounting principles
- Demonstrated experience with financial systems and data query tools
- Excellent communication skills; ability to present complex financial data to leadership in a succinct and approachable manner for those who are not as skilled in finance concepts.
This position is based in Boston and some in-person on-campus work will be required, and flexible/remote work is an option. Any remote work must be performed in a state in which Harvard is registered to do business (CA*, CT, MA, MD, ME, NH, NY, RI, and VT). Individual flexible and remote work options for this role will be discussed during the interview process. *Note: Harvard employees working in California must be exempt.
The University requires all Harvard community members to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and remain up to date with COVID-19 vaccine boosters, as detailed in Harvard’s Vaccine & Booster Requirements . Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement, exemptions, and verification of vaccination status may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/ .
Please note that we are currently conducting a majority of interviews and onboarding remotely and virtually. We appreciate your understanding.
Harvard University offers an outstanding benefits package including:
- Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, incredibly affordable classes directly at the Harvard Extension School, and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complementary health services.
- Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events, and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
The Harvard Medical School is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Not ready to apply? Join our Talent community to keep in touch and learn about future opportunities!
USA - MA - Boston
F0960M Financial Analysis Mgt VI
IT | Project Management Office
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Credit, Criminal, Education, Identity
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
We are committed to cultivating an inclusive workplace culture of faculty, staff, and students with diverse backgrounds, styles, abilities, and motivations. We appreciate and leverage the capabilities, insights, and ideas of all individuals. Harvard Medical School Mission and Community Values
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Senior Grants Manager, Center for Biostatistics in Aids Research, United States, about 2 hours ago
Position ID:Harvard School of Public Health -CBAR -SGM [#22385] Position Title: Position Type:Administration Position Location:Boston, Massachusetts 02215, United States [map ] Subject Area: Fina...
Grants Management Officer, National Institutes of Health, United States, about 13 hours ago
The Grants Management Officer I is responsible for providing knowledge in the area of pre-award and post-award non-financial grants management. He/she will work with the Assistant Director of Gran...
Senior Research Administrator, National Institutes of Health, United States, about 13 hours ago
The Department of Cancer Biology is seeking a highly experienced Senior Research Administrator (RA) to provide sponsored research management for our research laboratories. We are seeking candidate...
Financial And Grants Manager, School Of Medicine, Dean's Office (22500321070726), Boston University, United States, about 8 hours ago
The Office of Finance and Grants Administration (OFGA) provides a centralized, specialized financial, and grants management service throughout the School of Medicine. It currently oversees seven d...
Financial Officer, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States, 1 day ago
Information on MIT’s COVID-19 vaccination requirement can be found at the bottom of this posting. FINANCIAL OFFICER, School of Engineering (SOE), to serve as a floating financial officer for units...
Associate Director, Operations, Enrollment, Financial Assistance (22500152480720), Boston University, United States, about 7 hours ago
About the Role Boston University Student Financial Services seeks an Associate Director. The Associate Director is one of two managers at Student Financial Services. This role supports the operati...