IT Services collaborates with campus partners to support the mission of the University of Chicago through the consistent delivery of high-quality solutions and services. • We provide secure, stable, and reliable infrastructure and applications to support the mission of the University. • We support and enable faculty research and teaching with the effective use of technology. • We simplify the technology experience for faculty, students, alumni, and staff, and we ensure technology is mobile-friendly and accessible. • We identify, manage, and mitigate the technology risks of the University.
About the Department
This individual will be the technical lead on projects to design, develop, and QA Data Warehouse (DW) and extract/transform/load (ETL) environments, and other database environments to enable analytics. Following the prescribed project and development methodology under the direction of a Project Manager, the Senior Data Engineer will work closely with the Lead Architect, BI Lead, DW developers, source application developers, and subject matter experts (SMEs). The Senior Data Engineer will support, maintain, and enhance these environments to achieve a cross-functional, integrated reporting and analysis environment for University users.
- Works closely with business analysts and subject matter experts to understand data analysis requirements, data definitions, and to develop data mappings, data rules, and data transformations for reporting related to a particular data warehouse and/or analytic subject area.
- Finalizes the conceptual data models developed by the BI Lead, most often a dimensional model with facts and dimensions. Documents and communicates model design to project team.
- Leads development of logical data models. Documents, communicates, and maintains model design for the project team.
- Leads design and implementation of physical databases including index definitions, partitioning, parallelism, tuning, and space management.
- Utilizes database design and documentation tools to document, analyze, and communicate database information.
- Designs data warehouse security.
- Implements tests and QA strategies and prepares for rollout, including assuring data validation and integrity.
- Coordinates development resources to ensure that project timelines are met.
- Leads the design of ETL processing modules based on transformation rules, mapping rules, processing requirements and database model.
- Leads the design of ETL auditing steps to ensure data integrity and completeness of the ETL process.
- Leads the design of ETL process flow including module dependencies and parallel processing opportunities.
- Provides documentation for and works with job scheduling team to automate ETL processing.
- Leads the design of programming specifications for each ETL component.
- Leads the design of testing plans for each phase of the development process. Plans must ensure accuracy and quality of program code as well as thorough data validation procedures.
- Develops efficient code that meets analysis and design criteria.
- Coordinates ETL development resources to ensure that project timelines are met.
- Provides break-fix support and communicates outages as defined by IT Services standards.
- Troubleshoots and tunes data warehouse and analytic systems.
- Coordinates testing of software patches and upgrades.
- Works closely with BIS colleagues to implement data warehouse best practices, supporting integration of information from different subject areas.
- Promulgates data warehouse, ETL and related development standards, processes, and best practices throughout BIS.
- Participates in the selection of data warehouse, ETL and related enabling tools, including software and consulting.
- Deep expertise in data warehouse, ETL and analytic systems best practices and emerging trends is imperative.
- Works with users to ensure deliverables are meeting or exceeding expectations. Provides support and communicates issues to users as defined by IT standards.
- Plans, tests and guides roll-out of patches and upgrades to the BI and analytic software. Solves problems in the development and interpretation of BI and analytics system standards and procedures.
- Performs other related work as needed.
Education:Minimum requirements include a college or university degree in related field.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Advanced study or professional certifications in database, data management, DW, or ETL disciplines.
- Four years experience designing and building ETL using ODI.
- Four years experience designing and building data warehouse systems using Oracle and VPD.
- Seven years of database and application development experience with a formal software development life cycle.
- Three years Hadoop experience with Cloudera Apache Hadoop Ecosystem (Nifi, Zeppelin, Oozie, Spark, Impala, Kafka, et al).
- A minimum of five years of data warehouse development experience including expert knowledge of data warehousing methodologies (e.g. Kimball).
- A minimum of four years of experience designing and building dimensional data warehouses with Oracle db, Oracle Stored Procedures and Packages.
- A minimum of four years designing and developing ETL processes for data warehouse implementations using Oracle OWB or equivalent ETL tools.
- Experience as lead data warehouse/ETL designer on two successful enterprise data warehouse initiatives, using both formal software lifecycle development and project management.
- Two years experience working within the ITIL framework including incident, service, problem, and change management processes and procedures.
Technical Skills or Knowledge:
- Expertise with data query, analysis, reporting techniques, and OLAP.
- Expertise in database design and tools (e.g. Power Designer or Erwin).
- Expertise to develop and administer UNIX-based relational database architectures ( ODBC, JDBC, Perl DBI, shell scripting, PL/SQL, SQL Developer, SQL Plus, SQL Loader, TOAD, Java).
- Superior ETL design and development skills including maps, process flows, auditing, and scheduling using vendor tools (OWB, ODI, Data Stage, or Informatica).
- Expertise in SQL coding techniques, performance monitoring and tuning.
- Work with Unix Server, and Windows Workstation and Server environments.
- Microsoft Office application suite, especially Excel.
- Programming environments, languages, and systems built using (Java, Python, R).
- Experience with AI/ML and predictive analytic algorithms.
- Knowledge of reporting and analytic systems based on current-generation ERP systems.
- Familiarity with Business Objects, Tableau or OBIA/OBIEE.
- Experience with Oracle Cloud Financials.
- Familiarity with higher ed administrative systems and data.
- Excellent analytic skills to quickly synthesize technical, functional, and user inputs, and manage problem-solving to issue resolution.
- Expert skills in data profiling, source-target mapping, implementation of transformations and business rules.
- Joint design sessions, documenting the results using business process design tools.
- Strong oral and written and oral communication skills, including to develop standards and procedures, and present technical concepts to non-technical audiences.
- Commitment to working and sharing expertise in a collaborative team environment.
- Strong sense of accountability for completing work within defined scope and timeline, with ability to multi-task effectively.
- Very high attention to detail and accuracy.
- Standard office environment.
- On call responsibilities.
- Resume/CV (required)
- Cover Letter (required)
When applying, the document(s) MUST be uploaded via the My Experience page, in the section titled Application Documents of the application.
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Drug Test Required
Health Screen Required
Motor Vehicle Record Inquiry Required
Employees must comply with the University’s COVID-19 vaccination requirements. More information about the requirements can be found on the University of Chicago Vaccination GoForward .
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
We seek a diverse pool of applicants who wish to join an academic community that places the highest value on rigorous inquiry and encourages a diversity of perspectives, experiences, groups of individuals, and ideas to inform and stimulate intellectual challenge, engagement, and exchange.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes a review of conviction history. A conviction does not automatically preclude University employment. Rather, the University considers conviction information on a case-by-case basis and assesses the nature of the offense, the circumstances surrounding it, the proximity in time of the conviction, and its relevance to the position.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu . Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
Laboratory Schools: Makerspace Teacher Middle School/High School, University of Chicago (UC), United States, 17 days ago
Details Posted: 11-May-23 Location: Chicago, Illinois Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Other Staff/Administrative Staff/Administrative Internal Number: JR21862 Location: Chicago, IL Job De...
Project Analyst, University of Chicago (UC), United States, 23 days ago
Details Posted: 05-May-23 Location: Chicago, Illinois Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Research - Laboratory/Non-Laboratory Staff/Administrative Internal Number: JR21603 Location: Illinois...
Assistant Director Of The Equitable Healthcare Lab, Illinois Institute of Technology, United States, about 3 hours ago
Position Details Position Information Position Title Assistant Director of the Equitable Healthcare Lab Requisition # S01185P FLSA Exempt Location IIT-Institute of Design (ID), Chicago, IL Departm...
Intermediate Erp Business/Analyst Developers, DePaul University, United States, 9 days ago
Job Description Job Title: Intermediate ERP Business/Analyst Developers Location: Various and unanticipated worksites throughout the U.S. (HQ: Chicago, IL) Job Description: Analyze and design Ente...
Research Specialist, University of Chicago (UC), United States, 22 days ago
Details Posted: 06-May-23 Location: Chicago, Illinois Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Research - Laboratory/Non-Laboratory Staff/Administrative Internal Number: JR21788 Location: Chicago,...
Cyber Defense Operations Lead Engineer, University of Chicago (UC), United States, 12 days ago
Details Posted: 16-May-23 Location: Chicago, Illinois Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Information Technology Staff/Administrative Internal Number: JR21937 Location: Chicago, IL Job Descri...