Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Internal Number: 3243201-3499_1683925060
General Summary/Overview Statement:
There is an opening starting Fall 2023 for a Biomechanical Engineer. The Biomechanical Engineer working will participate as a specialist in research area, performing the most complex research and related tasks, independent research projects, may act as a working lead for professional staff members. Receives general supervision from a principal investigator, faculty member, or other employee of higher rank. Leads research assistant, para-professional, clerical or other staff members of lower rank, as assigned.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Determine priorities, schedule, assign, oversee or review research projects
- Determine research project cost and budget operation
- Supervise Residents, Fellows, Outside Researchers and Surgeons on the utilization of the Bioskills and Biomechanics laboratories equipment.
- Deep knowledge in Human Musculoskeletal Anatomy and Physiology for detailed dissection of human tissue. Figure out correct loading vectors and attachments into Material Test System on dissected area of interest.
- Design, Construction and Optimization of fixtures used to enable testing of human cadaver parts.
- Ordering, safe handling and disposal of cadavers (Bio Hazard materials). Cadaver specimen preparation and detailed dissection.
- Conducts acquisition and analysis of various load, force, torque, strain and pressure sensors for research studies of biomechanics on musculoskeletal tissue and surgical constructs.
- Operates Material Test System (Instron ElectroPuls E10000 Test System); computer work stations; evaluate mechanical integrity of bone and soft tissue; collect and analyze data for presentation and publication in collaboration with Surgeons, Fellows, Residents and Medical students.
- Design of custom fixtures and instrumentation, to facilitate testing of shoulder, elbow, knee, ankle and foot for possible repairs and injury management.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Indirect: Leads research assistant(s), para-professional, clerical or other staff members of lower rank, as assigned
- Non-Employees: Oversees any research scholars while working in Biomechanics Lab
- Biomechanics Lab in the MGB Charlestown Navy Yard (Charlestown, MA)
- May occasionally be required to lift standard laboratory equipment/supplies
- May be exposed to some risk of injury from such elements as toxic vapors (PMMA), and toxic radioactive materials (X-Ray) and/or disease bearing substances
- Master's Degree in Biomechanics or other relevant discipline required
- Minimum 3 years research experience in related health care field preferred
- Experience in research studies and preparation of publications is preferred
- Experience and interest in sports and motion analysis is preferred
- Considerable knowledge of relevant research protocols, principles, and procedures
- Knowledge of relevant advanced scientific techniques
- Considerable knowledge of experimental design, mathematics, statistics, relevant computer applications/resources, laboratory equipment/procedures
- Considerable knowledge of a relevant science such as chemistry, biology, microbiology, pharmacology
- Considerable knowledge of physical and data resources in applicable research disciplines
- Oral and written communication skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Ability to identify, produce, quantify, organize, analyze, evaluation, interpret and report data
- Design advanced computer software programs such as LabVIEW and Vicon NEXUS/ ProCalc to run custom shoulder simulator fixture.
- Supervisory ability
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.Partner's Healthcare is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.
Create a Job Alert for Similar Jobs
About MGH Institute of Health Professions
MGH Institute of Health Professions, founded by Massachusetts General Hospital in 1977, is an innovative and independent graduate school in Boston that is a member of Partners HealthCare. A progressive leader in developing comprehensive models of health care education, the MGH Institute prepares advanced practice professionals in the fields of nursing, physical therapy, occupational therapy and communication sciences and disorders through a distinctive combination of academic study, clinical practice, and research. More than 1,200 students are enrolled in graduate level and certificate programs, with an increasing number of courses available online. The Institute is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC).
Connections working at MGH Institute of Health Professions
More Jobs from This Employer
Return to Search Results
Laboratory Technician I Biology & Chemistry Dep..., Bunker Hill Community College, United States, 2 days ago
About Bunker Hill Community College: Bunker Hill Community College (BHCC) is a multi-campus institution with vibrant, urban campuses in Boston, Massachusetts, in nearby Chelsea, Massachusetts, an...
Plumber, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States, about 3 hours ago
Job Description PLUMBER, Facilities-Repair and Maintenance, to perform plumbing work in all areas of the Institute. This will involve installing, repairing, maintaining, and troubleshooting a ful...
Lecturer (Rehabilitation Counseling And Csp), University of Massachusetts Boston, United States, about 17 hours ago
We are seeking a qualified candidate to join our exceptional faculty on a full-time basis in the College of Education and Human Development at the University of Massachusetts Boston preferably beg...
Assistant Or Associate Professor Position Harvard Medical School And Massachusetts Eye And Ear, Mass Eye & Ear, United States, 19 days ago
The Eaton-Peabody Laboratories (EPL) at Massachusetts Eye and Ear (MEE) and the Department of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery (OHNS) at Harvard Medical School seek applications from researc...
Technical Associate I, Synthetic Neurobiology Group, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States, about 3 hours ago
Job Description TECHNICAL ASSOCIATE I, McGovern Institute for Brain Research-Synthetic Neurobiology Group , to join a group that is developing cutting-edge methods for mapping the wiring and molec...
Lecturer (Counseling Psychology), University of Massachusetts Boston, United States, about 17 hours ago
We are seeking an outstanding candidate to join our faculty in the College of Education and Human Development at the University of Massachusetts Boston, beginning Spring 2024. The candidate will a...