Emory University is a leading research university that fosters excellence and attracts world-class talent to innovate today and prepare leaders for the future. We welcome candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community.
The Division of Advancement and Alumni Engagement utilizes resources, technology, and business for the purpose of constituent engagement, donor research and solicitation, and stewardship throughout Emory University and Health Systems. Our mission is to inspire and steward meaningful, lasting relationships that elevate engagement and giving to fulfill Emory’s mission to serve humanity.
The Engagement, Communications & Marketing team connects alumni to the university and each other, builds traditions, and fosters student and alumni leadership. These positions will report to the Senior Director of Editorial Content.
Principal Gifts Focus:
- Supports the solicitation and stewardship of major and principal gifts donors.
- Collaborate closely with fundraisers, program staff, subject-matter-experts, and beneficiaries to craft compelling communications that inspire continued and increased giving to Emory.
- Serves as a project manager and writer for strategic communications produced by Advancement and Alumni Engagement including gift proposals, stewardship and fund reporting, articles for publications, direct marketing, web content, philanthropic or alumni-centric collateral, and strategic donor relations reporting.
- Takes a lead role in campaign messaging strategy and development.
- Represents department with senior leaders across the University.
- Serves as a coach and mentor to other writers within the department.
- Interviews alumni, donors, technical experts, and researchers for content.
- May develop proposals for major and principal gift prospects in partnership with development officers and/or division Leadership.
- Proposals and reports often span multiple schools/units.
- Responsible for managing all components of communication projects and process from start to finish.
- Develops materials using specialized or technical language.
- Partners with client to determine strategic communications plans.
- Identifies opportunities for and writes news releases and articles for publications.
- Writes and/or edits materials consistent with strategic initiatives and objectives of Advancement and Alumni Engagement.
- Contributes content to the communications team and helps coordinate coverage to serve the strategic communications needs of the division.
- May edit/review content created by other staff.
- May manage or advise staff.
- Performs related responsibilities as assigned.
ADDITIONAL JOB DETAILS: In addition to the duties outlined above, the Senior Associate Director may be required to:
- Translate scientific and academic information and language into understandable messaging to engage prospects to support Emory through philanthropy.
- Collaborate with fundraisers and graphic designers to develop creative briefs and timelines at the outset of projects.
- Manage projects from intake to completion, coordinating with stakeholders to ensure deadlines are met and projects are completed efficiently and successfully. Use project management software (currently Wrike) to keep project status and information up to date and to collaborate with graphic designers.
- A bachelor's degree and four years of professional experience in journalism, communications, or marketing OR an equivalent combination of experience, education and/or training.
- Successful candidates will possess superb writing, editing, interviewing, and oral presentation skills.
- Experience in journalism, storytelling, with philanthropic, advancement, donor recognition, research, or healthcare environments.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and problem-solving skills with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, and navigate a complex work environment.
- Commitment to delivering excellent customer service, the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively, and comfort working with ambiguity.
- Possess a high level of professionalism and commitment to confidentiality with sound judgment and discretion.
- Prior experience in advancement, fundraising, alumni engagement, non-profit, or a university setting.
- Flexibility to accommodate changing priorities and deadlines.
NOTE: This role will be granted the opportunity to work from home regularly but must be able to commute to Emory University on a flexible weekly schedule based upon business needs Schedule is based on agreed upon guidelines of department. This role requires residency in the state of GA. Emory reserves the right to change remote work status with notice to employee.
Emory University is dedicated to providing equal opportunities and equal access to all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, gender, genetic information, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, and veteran's status. Emory University does not discriminate in admissions, educational programs, or employment on the basis of any factor stated above or prohibited under applicable law. Students, faculty, and staff are assured of participation in University programs and in the use of facilities without such discrimination. Emory University complies with Executive Order 11246, as amended, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veteran's Readjustment Assistance Act, and applicable executive orders, federal and state regulations regarding nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action. Emory University is committed to achieving a diverse workforce through application of its affirmative action, equal opportunity and nondiscrimination policy in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training. Inquiries regarding this policy should be directed to the Emory University Department of Equity and Inclusion, 201 Dowman Drive, Administration Building, Atlanta, GA 30322.
Emory University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. To request this document in an alternate format or to request a reasonable accommodation, please contact the Department of Accessibility Services at 404-727-9877 (V) | 404-712-2049 (TDD). Please note that one week advance notice is preferred.
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration!
Assistant Director, University Donor Relations And Engagement, Harvard University, United States, 21 days ago
02-Feb-2024 Alumni Affairs and Development 64945BR Job Summary Alumni Affairs and Development (AA&D) Alumni Affairs and Development is a dedicated team supporting Harvard’s advancement activity th...
Director, Major And Annual Giving, Harvard University, United States, 8 days ago
15-Feb-2024 Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health 65065BR Job Summary The Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health Office of Development and Alumni Relations (ODAR) is committed to securing t...
Director Of Development, Joseph M. Katz Graduate School Of Business & College Of Business Administration, University of Pittsburgh, United States, about 20 hours ago
Director of Development, Joseph M. Katz Graduate School of Business & College of Business Administration PAE-Office of the Vice Chancellor - Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh - (24001379) The University of ...
Director Of Leadership Giving And Relationships, Assoc Dir Of The Ferris Foundation, Ferris State University, United States, about 19 hours ago
Strong knowledge base and relationships in West Michigan, including Grand Rapids and surrounding communities. Ability to increase the effectiveness of fundraising and relationship building through...
Leadership And Annual Giving Coordinator, Harvard University, United States, 21 days ago
01-Feb-2024 Harvard Kennedy School 64808BR Job Summary As part of an ambitious and creative team, the Annual Giving Coordinator is responsible for the coordination of projects and initiatives in t...
Assistant Director, Development Strategy, University Development Office, Harvard University, United States, 14 days ago
09-Feb-2024 Alumni Affairs and Development 65025BR Job Summary Alumni Affairs and Development (AA&D) Alumni Affairs and Development is a dedicated team supporting Harvard’s advancement activity th...