Job Posting Title
Senior Administrative Assistant- Biological Sciences
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Position involves administrative and general office support duties along with some specialized tasks, including providing assistance to the departmental chair and faculty. Duties will include communication, accounting and bookkeeping, assistance with personnel processes, data management, and public relations assignments. Will utilize standard office tools and technology, and supervise and provide leadership to student employees. A successful candidate needs to be able to manage tasks simultaneously, work independently, possess strong communication skills, be well organized, and detailed oriented.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: High School diploma or GED equivalency and one year of office experience or one year of post-secondary education.
- Associate’s degree or higher
- More than one year of experience in an office or administrative setting
- Excellent customer service skills
- Supervision experience
- Superior written communication skills
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Quickbooks experience
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
SALARY: $13.98 per hour plus benefits package.
BENEFITS: Competitive benefit package http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/Prospective-Employees/
- Communicates with students, faculty, staff and administrators on a daily basis, sometimes regarding confidential issues. The Senior Administrative Assistant is the primary contact person for students, faculty, and staff who come into the office, email, or telephone the office for information. The individual hired must be able to communicate with individuals of various backgrounds and temperaments on a daily basis.
- Maintains all budgetary accounts including grants and FHSU Foundation accounts. Prepares payment vouchers, travel authorizations, travel payment vouchers, and purchase requisitions through Workday. Classifies and records transactions and identifies and resolves discrepancies and any other related transactions. Reviews purchase orders, vouchers, bills and forms to approve merchandise or reimbursements or to make payment for goods or services.
- Reconciles all department accounts between Workday and Quickbooks every month and provides monthly department account activity and balance reports to chair.
- Assists chair with correspondence, spreadsheets, and documents.
- Assists department chair with ensuring schedules for on-campus and on-line classes, including resolving room conflicts, are submitted accurately, timely, and adhering to FHSU deadlines. Submits Virtual College Course Approval forms for on-line classes.
- Assists in the planning, coordinating, and scheduling of meetings for the chair. Uses Outlook and other communication and scheduling tools.
- Maintains inventory and orders office supplies and equipment as needed. Coordinates the maintenance of office equipment. Orders and purchases supplies and equipment as necessary.
- Interviews, selects, coordinates, supervises, evaluates, and mentors student employees. Maintains records, payroll, and hiring of all student employees. Sets work schedules of students workers in consultation with chair each semester; establishes priorities and delegates work assignments and reviews completed work of student employees for accuracy.
- Makes travel and lodging arrangements, reimbursement for faculty travel, and candidate interview travel.
- Other duties as might be assigned by the department chair.
REQUIRED APPLICATION DOCUMENTS: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three professional references. Applicant documents should be submitted in one PDF.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Name: Dr. Rob Channell
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT:
The Department of Biological Sciences has 16 full-time faculty positions representing the disciplines of anatomy, botany, ecology, microbiology, molecular biology, physiology, and zoology. The department offers B.S. and M.S. degrees in biology. Graduate teaching assistants facilitate teaching undergraduate labs; additional graduate assistantships are available through the Sternberg Museum of Natural History, the Kansas Wetlands Education Center, and four donor supported graduate research fellowships. Available departmental research resources include a microbiology and molecular biology research lab, extensive aquatic and terrestrial sampling equipment, excellent computing and GIS facilities, outstanding technical support, large museum collections for plants, insects, and vertebrates, a 1,000-acre tract of native prairie, greenhouse and other related resources. The department is housed in Albertson Hall, which includes fully mediated classrooms and laboratories. The department employs a full-time lab coordinator and office manager, and a half-time greenhouse manager.
ABOUT THE COLLEGE:
The Werth College of Science, Technology and Mathematics was formed in 2015 by bringing together the departments of Agriculture, Applied Technology, Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Computer Science, Geosciences, Mathematics, and Physics. The college has 75 full-time faculty, more than 1800 undergraduate majors, and 50 graduate students. It also makes significant contributions to the university’s General Education program and to the Kansas Academy of Mathematics and Science, which is an early-college program for high-achieving high school students. A new applied technology building has recently been completed and complement existing state of the art facilities. Undergraduate students participate in technical, classroom, field, and lab experiences that many schools would reserve for graduate students. Our academic programs are innovative and our facilities are outstanding. The Werth College of Science, Technology and Mathematics teachers embrace a one-on-one teaching and mentoring philosophy and provide robust research opportunities for our students.
ABOUT HAYS, KS
Candidates will discover a locale where professional satisfaction and career achievement are paired with an optimal quality of life. Fort Hays State University is located in Hays, Kansas, a vibrant, growing community of over 20,000 that takes great pride in the University's presence. Hays is a celebration of historic and contemporary contrasts, evidenced in its frontier roots highlighted throughout the city and local museums and in its redeveloped downtown area where residents enjoy one-of-a-kind restaurants, unique shopping, and a vibrant arts scene. This community’s commitment to the future inspires Hays businesses to reinvest locally.
A welcoming and family-centered community, Hays offers premier healthcare services, a growing high-tech and retail business community, and excellent Pre-K and K–12 schools in both the private and public sectors. The City of Hays has long been known as a safe community, and the FHSU campus is recognized by the National Council for Home Safety and Security in 2018 as one of the Top 100 Safest College Campuses in America. For entertainment, recreation, education, employment, or simply for a comfortable place to live, residents of all ages will find in Hays the elements that contribute to a safe, enjoyable, and fulfilling lifestyle.
Notice of Non-discrimination – Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position: Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org for further information on how this might affect you.
Director Biodiversity Institute & Natural History Museum, Professor, University of Kansas, United States, about 23 hours ago
17429BR Biodiversity Institute Position Overview The University of Kansas seeks a director for the Biodiversity Institute (BI), which includes the KU Natural History Museum (KUNHM). The Biodivers...
Pool Teacher Candidate Supervisor, University of Kansas, United States, about 23 hours ago
16734BR Curriculum & Teaching Position Overview The University of Kansas, Department of Curriculum & Teaching anticipates openings for the position of University Supervisor in the 2020-2021 academ...
20 111: Satellite Researcher And Science Coordinator, Colorado State University, United States, about 3 hours ago
Posting Details Working Title 20-111: Satellite Researcher and Science Coordinator Position Location Kansas City, MO Research Professional Position Yes Posting Number 202000528AP Position Type Adm...
Admissions Application Coordinator I, Kansas City University of Medicine & Biosciences, United States, about 9 hours ago
Job Type: Staff Job Description: The Admissions Application Coordinator I processes medical school/graduate student applications; provides day-to-day clerical/administrative support to the departm...