This position provides technical and operational support for the University’s EH&S programs to minimize risks and ensure compliance with EH&S laws and regulations. Primary responsibilities include serving as an EH&S service liaison for schools/departments, providing technical support, conducting EH&S inspections, investigating workplace injuries and illnesses, direct oversight to one or more EH&S programs and participation on EH&S project teams. Work requires building and maintaining excellent customer relationships and maintaining technical expertise in technical disciplines, direct customer support and technical guidance, development and maintenance of University programs and other related technical documentation, development and delivery of training, collecting data and performing trending and other analysis, creating and maintaining school/departments specific Safety and Compliance Management Plans, report generation for internal and external customers and serving as regulatory interface with local, state and federal EH&S agencies.
BS or BA in occupational safety, environmental science or related field or an equivalency of professional training, certifications, and work experience. Progress demonstrated towards obtaining a professional certification (e.g. CSP/CHMM/CIH/PE, etc.) is preferred.
Minimum of 5 years of safety/EHS-related experience. Education, professional training and certificates may count towards work experience.
Possess a strong working knowledge of federal, state and local occupational health, safety and environmental regulations.
Familiar with the implementing and assessment of occupational health, safety and or environmental compliance programs. A strong focus on safety program implementation for diverse clients.
Excellent oral and written communication skills, including training program delivery.
Ability to work in a fast-paced operations environment, handling multiple assignments for independent operating units.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
Technology Skills Required
Must be proficient in the use of technology and computers including Microsoft Teams, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint. Must be proficient in database management. Experience with HTML or other Web tools is preferred.
Participates in EHS Emergency Response program on a rotating basis. While on call, responds to emergencies during business and non-business hours.
Must have sufficient mobility, dexterity, and endurance to perform emergency response activities and field visits. Must be capable of using personal protective equipment and monitoring equipment be able to access any area of the University to perform designated work functions including but not limited to inspections, job safety assessments, and emergency response.
Emergency Status Designation: Critical Operations Personnel
On Campus Requirements:
This position is based out of the Cambridge campus with an expectation to be on site between 3 -5 days per week. Periodic travel between campuses is expected.
The health of our workforce is a priority for Harvard University. With that in mind, we strongly encourage all employees to be up-to-date on CDC-recommended vaccines.
We invite you to visit Harvard’s Total Rewards website to learn more about our outstanding benefits package, which may include:
- Paid Time Off: 3-4 weeks of accrued vacation time per year (3 weeks for support staff and 4 weeks for administrative/professional staff), 12 accrued sick days per year, 12.5 holidays plus a Winter Recess in December/January, 3 personal days per year (prorated based on date of hire), and up to 12 weeks of paid leave for new parents who are primary care givers.
- Health and Welfare: Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, disability and life insurance programs, along with voluntary benefits. Most coverage begins as of your start date.
- Work/Life and Wellness: Child and elder/adult care resources including on campus childcare centers, Employee Assistance Program, and wellness programs related to stress management, nutrition, meditation, and more.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with contributions from 5% to 15% of eligible compensation, based on age and earnings with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive program including $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and reduced tuition through other participating Harvard graduate schools.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Program that provides 75% to 90% reimbursement up to $5,250 per calendar year for eligible courses taken at other accredited institutions.
- Professional Development: Programs and classes at little or no cost, including through the Harvard Center for Workplace Development and LinkedIn Learning.
- Commuting and Transportation: Various commuter options handled through the Parking Office, including discounted parking, half-priced public transportation passes and pre-tax transit passes, biking benefits, and more.
- Harvard Facilities Access, Discounts and Perks: Access to Harvard athletic and fitness facilities, libraries, campus events, credit union, and more, as well as discounts to various types of services (legal, financial, etc.) and cultural and leisure activities throughout metro-Boston.
Department Office Location
USA - MA - Cambridge
396057 Environmental Health & Safety
Hybrid (partially on-site, partially remote)
Environmental Health & Safety
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Criminal, Drug Testing, Education, Employment, Identity
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Nurse Practitioner Prn, Arizona State University, United States, 1 day ago
97264BR Campus: Tempe Nurse Practitioner PRN Job Description Provides medical care and treatment to clients in Employee Health clinic. Job Family Health Care Services Department Name EHS ASU Emplo...
Safety Technician Resource Conservation/Hazardous Materials, Arizona State University, United States, 2 days ago
97149BR Campus: Tempe Safety Technician Job Description Monitors, controls, and processes biological, chemical, radioactive materials and associated hazardous wastes which includes but is not limi...
Laboratory Safety Specialist, University of Pittsburgh, United States, about 1 hour ago
Laboratory Safety Specialist Health and Safety Office - Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh - (23008442) Job Summary Conducts operational and pre-operational inspections and evaluations of University laborato...
Research Officer, UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE, Australia, 17 days ago
18 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE Research Field Medical sciences Chemistry Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) First Stage Researcher (R1) Country...
Research Instrumentation Scientist / Specialist In The Center For Core Technology Platforms, NEW YORK UNIVERSITY ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates, 21 days ago
17 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company NEW YORK UNIVERSITY ABU DHABI Research Field Engineering Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) First Stage Researcher (R1) Country United A...
Caregiver, University of Arkansas, United States, 10 days ago
Current University of Arkansas System employees including student employees and graduate assistants need to log into Workday on My Apps. Simply enter "Find Jobs" in the Workday search bar to view ...