The Resident Director is a live-in member of the University Housing team and is responsible for all aspects of the housing and residence life program in their assigned area. Oversees administration, including training and supervision of staff, residential curriculum oversight, policy enforcement and conduct case adjudication, student development, and on-call responsibilities.
FGCU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity and Access Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability, sex, pregnancy, national origin, marital status, genetic predisposition, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, veteran status, and any other protected class(es), as required by applicable state and federal law, as well as University regulations and policies.
Typical duties may include but are not limited to:
- Establishes and facilitates a community environment within the assigned residence hall to promote and enhance students’ educational, social and personal development.
- Supervises and develops a team of Resident Assistants, depending on the residential area, and Residence Life Team Assistants.
- Participates in recruiting, hiring, training, and evaluating Residents Assistants, Residence Life Team Assistants, Desk Assistants, and full-time staff members.
- Implements and facilitates the residential curriculum for their specific area. Ensures that learning outcomes are met and reports assessment outcomes back to the department. Designs programs and activities to promote student development and academic success.
- Addresses facilities issues that compromise the health and safety of the residents. Monitors and maintains facility issues within the community in collaboration with the Facilities team.
- Interprets and enforces the Student Code of Conduct and all administrative policies and procedures. Acts as an administrative hearing officer for cases involving alleged student conduct.
- Responds to crisis and emergency situations in accordance to established procedures. Conducts follow-up and utilizes campus and community resources to address situations.
- Assists with housing and resident life student engagement, including creating direct connections with students, following up on students of concern and proactively addressing roommate conflicts.
- Facilitate and lead staff meetings and one-on-one meetings with Resident Assistants and other residential student leaders.
- Coordinate and support operational functions such as front desk operations, key distribution and collection, damage assessment, reporting and billing, maintenance requests, and building opening and closing. Assists in providing tours of the residential areas.
- Advises Area Council and other student organizations. Cultivates, coordinates, and assists in the development of student leadership and responsibility through programming and direct involvement with students.
- Serves on an on-call rotation to ensure the safety and welfare of residential students.
- Serves as essential personnel and provides assistance in the event of an emergency on campus.
- Provides good stewardship and fiscal management to all budgets for assigned areas or committees.
- Participates in department and university committees as needed. Represents the department in university wide events and to a variety of different constituents.
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
Additional Job Description
- Bachelor’s degree and one year of full-time Housing & Residence Life or Student Affairs experience. Two years of experience as a Resident Assistant will substitute for the one-year full time experience.
- Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience, and/or certifications may be considered.
- Master's degree from an accredited institution in an appropriate area of specialization.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of student development theory, techniques and research.
- Knowledge of and ability to manage a student residential area of approximately 400-600 students.
- Knowledge of the fundamental aspects of college student intellectual, emotional, and social development.
- Knowledge of campus resources used to support the residential program and individual students.
- Knowledge of the fundamental indicators of student mental health concerns, substance abuse, and domestic violence.
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to thrive in an organization that values the diversity of its student body and workforce and actively promotes an equitable environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both verbal and written form.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in making decisions.
- Ability to assume responsibility, work independently, and take initiative.
- Ability to work effectively and positively in an environment characterized by change.
- Ability to train and supervise others.
- Ability to react quickly and calmly in emergencies.
- Ability to live and work on campus in order to respond to the needs of the department 24 hours per day.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
Pay Grade: 13
Housing Assignments Coordinator, Case Western Reserve University, United States, 4 days ago
POSITION OBJECTIVE The Resident Services Coordinator is responsible for the management of housing assignment administration. The coordinator will utilize a developmental, intentional, and comprehe...
Assistant Director For Academic Year Assignments Residential Operations Georgetown University, Georgetown University, United States, 1 day ago
Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation's capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitmen...
Resident Assistant, Fairmont State University, United States, 3 days ago
Posting Details Posting Detail Information Student Requisition Number 2024150STP Job Title Resident Assistant Number of Positions Available 10 Funded by Federal Workstudy only No Description of Jo...
Associate Vice President For Student Affairs And Dean Of Students, Case Western Reserve University, United States, 7 days ago
A strong internal candidate has been identified. POSITION OBJECTIVE The Associate Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students serves as a member of the Student Affairs executive team. ...
Title Ix Coordinator, University of San Francisco, United States, about 21 hours ago
Job Title: Title IX Coordinator Job Summary: Reporting to the Associate Vice President of Student Life and Dean of Students, the Title IX Coordinator will have primary responsibility for managing ...
Bme Laboratory Manager, Case Western Reserve University, United States, 4 days ago
POSITION OBJECTIVE Working with a high degree of independence and under general direction, provide leadership and scientific expertise in the planning implementation of major projects, services, a...