Starting Salary Range: $13.73 - $18.87
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: 8:30-5pm (may vary due to experiments)
Employee subgroup: Non-Exempt
Department name: School of Medicine
Personnel area: Pediatrics
The position will be working on a new project entitled “Polyionic papillomavirus-like particles (VLP) for the treatment of prostate cancer”. The project involves development of a novel vaccine technology to treat cancers. The position will be working in the Pediatrics Neurovirology laboratory under the general supervision of a faculty investigator or laboratory supervisor, requires working knowledge of applicable laboratory procedures, tests, techniques and terminology. The range of duties includes, but is not limited to: conducting experiments, collecting and summarizing data, and providing proper laboratory/study subject care. May repair research equipment and/or maintain research facility.
- Work requires basic use of scientific methods, procedures and techniques gained through previous training and experience.
- Working knowledge of theory behind experiments and applies basic analytical skills to implement assigned projects, and to identify and trouble-shoot situations needing special attention.
- Follows established procedures or protocols and utilizes aseptic technique to perform laboratory tests and/or experiments which may include: basic tissue culture, cell separation methods, electrophoretic separations, assays, basic molecular biology, or other specialized histology and biological science techniques. May utilize in vivo models in experiments.
- Operate basic laboratory equipment such as centrifuge, pH meter, analytical balance, incubator, scintillation counter, spectrophotometer, microscope, and/or utilize laminar flow hood.
- Use sterile techniques to avoid contaminating lab experiments.
- Collects data and monitors data quality and accuracy as required by research protocol. Maintains appropriate documentation of research results, as required by research protocol. Recommends revisions to experimental methods based upon observations of the data.
- Maintain accurate lab notebook and other data records.
- Comply with biohazard/radiation safety standards and other general laboratory safety guidelines through proper handling of potentially hazardous chemicals and biological agents and/or radiation sources in the workplace.
- Use universal safety precautions to provide self and co-workers from biohazardous material, including blood borne pathogens.
- Prepare solutions, reagents, and stains following standard laboratory formulas and procedures.
- Monitors inventory levels, orders materials and supplies in accordance with established policies and procedures, counts orders upon receipt
- Other duties as assigned by faculty/PI’s, lab manager or other lab staff.
Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences, chemistry, or related field required and some related experience.
Some post-undergraduate experience in a comparable laboratory, or a significant independent research project, not related to normal course requirements preferred.
Research Specialist, HHMI, United States, about 13 hours ago
Research Specialist Tracking Code 715-908 Job Description The Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) has an opening for a skilled biochemist to provide assistance to multiple projects in the labor...
Technician B, Columbia University, United States, about 20 hours ago
Job Title Technician B Job Code Title Job Requisition Number 091187 Department 7584- SCI Col Stem Cell Initiative Location Medical Center Job Type Support Staff Full-Time Regular Bargaining Unit 1...
Research Worker General Medicine, Columbia University, United States, 20 days ago
Job Title Research Worker - General Medicine Job Code Title Job Requisition Number 091307 Department 7518- MED Medicine Location Medical Center Job Type Support Staff Full-Time Regular Bargaining ...
] Research Assistant/Laboratory Technician, , United States, about 19 hours ago
Position Title: Research Assistant / Laboratory Technician - Structural Biology - Advanced Science Research Center Job ID: 18142 Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience and qualification...
Technician A Ccti, Columbia University, United States, about 21 hours ago
Job Title Technician A - CCTI Job Code Title 510214 Job Requisition Number 091349 Department 7519- MED Medicine Location Medical Center Job Type Support Staff Full-Time Regular Bargaining Unit 119...
Director Of Research And Technical Services, Columbia University, United States, about 21 hours ago
Job Title Director of Research and Technical Services Job Code Title Job Requisition Number 091436 Department 4041- A&S Biological Sciences Location Morningside Job Type Officer Full-Time Regular...