Starting Salary Range: $13.73 - $18.87
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: 8:30-5pm (may vary due to experiments)
Employee subgroup: Non-Exempt
Department name: School of Medicine
Personnel area: Pediatrics
The position will be working on a new project entitled “Polyionic papillomavirus-like particles (VLP) for the treatment of prostate cancer”. The project involves development of a novel vaccine technology to treat cancers. The position will be working in the Pediatrics Neurovirology laboratory under the general supervision of a faculty investigator or laboratory supervisor, requires working knowledge of applicable laboratory procedures, tests, techniques and terminology. The range of duties includes, but is not limited to: conducting experiments, collecting and summarizing data, and providing proper laboratory/study subject care. May repair research equipment and/or maintain research facility.
- Work requires basic use of scientific methods, procedures and techniques gained through previous training and experience.
- Working knowledge of theory behind experiments and applies basic analytical skills to implement assigned projects, and to identify and trouble-shoot situations needing special attention.
- Follows established procedures or protocols and utilizes aseptic technique to perform laboratory tests and/or experiments which may include: basic tissue culture, cell separation methods, electrophoretic separations, assays, basic molecular biology, or other specialized histology and biological science techniques. May utilize in vivo models in experiments.
- Operate basic laboratory equipment such as centrifuge, pH meter, analytical balance, incubator, scintillation counter, spectrophotometer, microscope, and/or utilize laminar flow hood.
- Use sterile techniques to avoid contaminating lab experiments.
- Collects data and monitors data quality and accuracy as required by research protocol. Maintains appropriate documentation of research results, as required by research protocol. Recommends revisions to experimental methods based upon observations of the data.
- Maintain accurate lab notebook and other data records.
- Comply with biohazard/radiation safety standards and other general laboratory safety guidelines through proper handling of potentially hazardous chemicals and biological agents and/or radiation sources in the workplace.
- Use universal safety precautions to provide self and co-workers from biohazardous material, including blood borne pathogens.
- Prepare solutions, reagents, and stains following standard laboratory formulas and procedures.
- Monitors inventory levels, orders materials and supplies in accordance with established policies and procedures, counts orders upon receipt
- Other duties as assigned by faculty/PI’s, lab manager or other lab staff.
Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences, chemistry, or related field required and some related experience.
Some post-undergraduate experience in a comparable laboratory, or a significant independent research project, not related to normal course requirements preferred.
Technician B, Columbia University, United States, 42 minutes ago
Job Title Technician B Job Code Title Job Requisition Number 096128 Department 7574- JSB C2B2 Location Medical Center Job Type Support Staff Full-Time Regular Bargaining Unit 1199 / SSA Area If te...
Research Technician B, Yeshiva University, United States, about 22 hours ago
Founded in 1955, the Albert Einstein College of Medicine (Einstein) is one of the nation’s premier institutions for medical education, basic research and clinical investigation. A full-time facult...
Research Technician A, Yeshiva University, United States, 17 days ago
We study how enveloped emerging viruses enter their host cells and initiate infection. Our work is interdisciplinary in nature, involving forward and reverse viral genetics, host genetics, biochem...
Technician B, Columbia University, United States, about 1 hour ago
Job Title Technician B Job Code Title Job Requisition Number 096354 Department 7538- PAT Pathology Location Medical Center Job Type Support Staff Full-Time Regular Bargaining Unit 1199 / SSA Area ...
Technician A Ccti, Columbia University, United States, about 1 hour ago
Job Title Technician A - CCTI Job Code Title Job Requisition Number 096087 Department 7519- MED Medicine Location Medical Center Job Type Support Staff Full-Time Regular Bargaining Unit 1199 / SSA...
Technician B, Columbia University, United States, 43 minutes ago
Job Title Technician B Job Code Title Job Requisition Number 096238 Department 7575- ICG Location Medical Center Job Type Support Staff Full-Time Regular Bargaining Unit 1199 / SSA Area If tempora...