- Tracking Code
- Job Description
Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is a science philanthropy whose mission is to advance biomedical research and science education for the benefit of humanity. We empower exceptional scientists and students to pursue fundamental questions about living systems, and work to share scientific discoveries with researchers, students, and science-curious individuals around the world.
Founded in 1953 by aviator and industrialist Howard R. Hughes, HHMI is headquartered in Chevy Chase, Maryland, and employs more than 2,500 people across the U.S. Visit hhmi.org/careers to learn more about working at HHMI.
The Howard Hughes Medical Institute has an exciting opportunity for a Research Technician to join the research team in a Lab at Stanford University. Our laboratory is focusing on fundamental developmental questions. We study cell-fate transitions, cell division and cell-cell signaling. These broad questions are addressed specifically in the stomatal lineages of various genetic model plants, including Arabidopsis Brachypodium and tomato. The Research Technician assists scientists to support research under general supervision and performs experimental techniques such as standard molecular methods (PCR, electrophoresis, molecular cloning, DNA/RNA extraction), plant-related work (crossing, planting, harvesting), tissue-culturing and callus transformation, and general lab support and maintenance. Collect, verify, record, and compile data and information in support of laboratory research.
- Assist scientists and technicians by performing investigative procedures and operating a variety of instruments and other scientific equipment, i.e. microscopy, molecular cloning, PCR, genotyping, gel electrophoresis, biochemical assays.
- Maintain plants and/or bacterial and tissue cultures for experimental purposes.
- Maintain plant growth facilities to be suitable for transgenics, regeneration and intensive phenotyping.
- Collect, record, organize and verify the accuracy of data; perform calculations and prepare charts, graphs and reports. May use software application to assemble, manipulate and/or format data and test reports.
- Configure and operate laboratory apparatus and instruments; read and record instrument data, tabulate data; keep laboratory records.
- Maintain chemical stocks and inventory in compliance with environmental health and safety standards. Order chemicals, reagents, and other laboratory supplies.
- Participate in laboratory meetings and planning sessions.
- Read literature applicable to research areas as required.
- Perform duties of laboratory assistant as required.
- Demonstrate various laboratory techniques to laboratory personnel and students as needed.
- Contribute to research results on and on-going basis.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Biology, Molecular Biology or related field AND one or more years of related laboratory experience.
- Experience with basic molecular biology techniques (DNA, cloning, PCR, DNA/RNA isolation)
- Generally experienced in job duties and in the principles and practices associated with those duties with an understanding of the underlying scientific principles.
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Ability to draft routine reports and keep accurate records of work performed.
- Actively seeks opportunities to increase skills and expertise.
- Able to learn complex tasks with general instruction.
- Able to use experience and perform a variety of new techniques.
- High motivation to support basic research and general interest in fundamental biological questions.
- Understands role in the work unit as well as how the job relates to the organization as a whole.
- Able to train others in specialized tasks within their own area of expertise.
Additional Information: this is a fixed term position, up to 2 years.
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Job Location
- Stanford, California, United States
- Position Type
LinkedIn Facebook Twitter Email AddThis
Return To Job Listings
Senior Quality Control Analytical Scientist, Stanford University, United States, about 19 hours ago
Grade: K FTE: 100% Stanford Laboratory for Cell and Gene Medicine (LCGM) is seeking a Senior Quality Control Analytical Scientist (CMQCA3) to design, develop, evaluate and implement product charac...
Life Science Technician Ii, Stanford University, United States, about 18 hours ago
The Annes Lab in the Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology , is looking for a full-time Life Science Technician II to engage in exciting, animal model-based, drug discovery-oriented r...
Life Science Research Professional 1, Stanford University, United States, about 20 hours ago
The Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases is seeking a Life Science Research Professional 1 to perform basic functions and activities involved in defined research projects, and ...
Manufacturing Specialist 2, Stanford University, United States, about 18 hours ago
Grade: G FTE: 100% The Stanford Laboratory for Cell and Gene Medicine (SLCGM) is seeking a Clinical Process Development & Manufacturing Professional 2 to independently conduct major portions of c...
Manufacturing Specialist, Stanford University, United States, about 18 hours ago
Grade: F FTE: 100% The Stanford Laboratory for Cell and Gene Medicine (SLCGM) is seeking a Manufacturing Specialist (CPDMP1) to perform process development and clinical materials biomanufacturing ...
Laboratory Research Coordinator, Stanford University, United States, about 19 hours ago
The Clinical and Translational Research Unit (CTRU) laboratory at Stanford University, is seeking a Laboratory Research Coordinator to perform laboratory and administrative support duties related ...