- Tracking Code
- Job Description
Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is a science philanthropy whose mission is to advance biomedical research and science education for the benefit of humanity. We empower exceptional scientists and students to pursue fundamental questions about living systems, and work to share scientific discoveries with researchers, students, and science-curious individuals around the world.
Founded in 1953 by aviator and industrialist Howard R. Hughes, HHMI is headquartered in Chevy Chase, Maryland, and employs more than 2,500 people across the U.S. Visit hhmi.org/careers to learn more about working at HHMI.
The Howard Hughes Medical Institute has an exciting opportunity for a Research Technician to join the research team in a Lab at Stanford University. Our laboratory is focusing on fundamental developmental questions. We study cell-fate transitions, cell division and cell-cell signaling. These broad questions are addressed specifically in the stomatal lineages of various genetic model plants, including Arabidopsis Brachypodium and tomato. The Research Technician assists scientists to support research under general supervision and performs experimental techniques such as standard molecular methods (PCR, electrophoresis, molecular cloning, DNA/RNA extraction), plant-related work (crossing, planting, harvesting), tissue-culturing and callus transformation, and general lab support and maintenance. Collect, verify, record, and compile data and information in support of laboratory research.
- Assist scientists and technicians by performing investigative procedures and operating a variety of instruments and other scientific equipment, i.e. microscopy, molecular cloning, PCR, genotyping, gel electrophoresis, biochemical assays.
- Maintain plants and/or bacterial and tissue cultures for experimental purposes.
- Maintain plant growth facilities to be suitable for transgenics, regeneration and intensive phenotyping.
- Collect, record, organize and verify the accuracy of data; perform calculations and prepare charts, graphs and reports. May use software application to assemble, manipulate and/or format data and test reports.
- Configure and operate laboratory apparatus and instruments; read and record instrument data, tabulate data; keep laboratory records.
- Maintain chemical stocks and inventory in compliance with environmental health and safety standards. Order chemicals, reagents, and other laboratory supplies.
- Participate in laboratory meetings and planning sessions.
- Read literature applicable to research areas as required.
- Perform duties of laboratory assistant as required.
- Demonstrate various laboratory techniques to laboratory personnel and students as needed.
- Contribute to research results on and on-going basis.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Biology, Molecular Biology or related field AND one or more years of related laboratory experience.
- Experience with basic molecular biology techniques (DNA, cloning, PCR, DNA/RNA isolation)
- Generally experienced in job duties and in the principles and practices associated with those duties with an understanding of the underlying scientific principles.
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Ability to draft routine reports and keep accurate records of work performed.
- Actively seeks opportunities to increase skills and expertise.
- Able to learn complex tasks with general instruction.
- Able to use experience and perform a variety of new techniques.
- High motivation to support basic research and general interest in fundamental biological questions.
- Understands role in the work unit as well as how the job relates to the organization as a whole.
- Able to train others in specialized tasks within their own area of expertise.
Additional Information: this is a fixed term position, up to 2 years.
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Job Location
- Stanford, California, United States
- Position Type
LinkedIn Facebook Twitter Email AddThis
Return To Job Listings
Deputy Director, Molecular Imaging Program At Stanford, Stanford University, United States, 3 days ago
The Molecular Imaging Program at Stanford (MIPS) brings together scientists who share a common interest in developing and using state-of-the-art imaging technology and developing molecular imaging...
Life Science Rsch Prof 2, Stanford University, United States, 3 days ago
This recruitment is for up to two (2) identical positions. The Life Science Research Professional 2 (LSRP2) position will provide the ideal candidate an opportunity to lead a project and work clos...
Cmc Operations Manager, Stanford University, United States, 5 days ago
The Center for Cancer Cell Therapy (CCT) is offering an exciting new professional opportunity: CMC Operations Manager (ASA2); a role specifically created to support operational logistics of Proces...
Protein Aggregation In Neurodegenerative Diseases *Deadline Approaching*, National Institutes of Health, United States, 4 days ago
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), Rocky Mountain Labs, Hamilton, MT Position Description: A postdoctoral position is available in the TSE/Prion Biochemistry Section, L...
Senior Director, Alumni Relations, Stanford University, United States, about 17 hours ago
The Stanford Laboratory for Cell and Gene Medicine (SLCGM) is seeking a Manufacturing Specialist (CPDMP1) toperform process development and clinical materials biomanufacturing consistent with prin...
Life Science Research Professional 1, Stanford University, United States, about 17 hours ago
Stanford University Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases & Geographic Medicine is seeking a Life Science Research Professional 1 to perform basic functions and activities invol...