Classified Title: Research Specialist
Working Title: Research Specialist
Starting Hourly Range: $15.96 - $21.94
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday-Friday/8:30-5:00pm/40 hours
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 04-MD:School of Medicine Campus
Department name: 10002936-SOM Onc Pediatric Oncology
Personnel area: Johns Hopkins University
The Department of Oncology is seeking a full time Research Specialist to work in their laboratory. Our laboratory focuses on the development of cell-based immunotherapy for malignancy, primarily pediatric leukemia. As a translational research laboratory, our goal is to increase our understanding of immunobiology in order to design improved combinatorial treatment strategies. The candidate will be able to work on multiple research projects simultaneously while overseeing laboratory operations on a daily basis.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Will oversee laboratory operations, including but not limited to: ordering and stocking supplies, ensuring laboratory safety, maintaining data and inventory spreadsheets, training new employees, updating protocols, will research and implement new technologies as needed, and will maintain a clean laboratory.
- Manages the extensive inventory of all biological specimens entering the laboratory
- Oversees and assures laboratory compliance with regulatory requirements and JHU standards, policies and procedures
- Will participate in developing experimental designs and has the responsibility for planning, implementation, evaluation and interpretation of results
- Compiles, analyzes, and interprets research data using various computer software applications. Conducts library research and participates in editing and preparing manuscripts, scientific illustrations and computer graphics for publication
- Will process human blood and bone marrow specimens as described in the ongoing clinical trials.
Must be knowledgeable in RNA/DNA/Protein isolation, PCR, qPCR, ELISA, SDS-PAGE, immunoblotting, tissue culture, electrophoresis, animal work, including tail vein injection, among others;The candidate should be able to design controlled experiments independently.The candidate will be responsible for oversight and training of new employees.Candidate will perform established laboratory assays with the initial supervision of senior personnel until capable of performing those assays independently.
Bachelor's degree in biology, chemistry or related field required. One (1) year laboratory experience performing relevant techniques required. Master's degree, with related graduate research, may substitute for experience to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
JHU Equivalency Formula: 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org . For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information