The Department of Oncology, Division of Pediatric Oncology is looking to fill the position of Research Specialist II. This position will develop, conduct and evaluate scientific research in a laboratory environment. Will have a working understanding of the context and implications of the research in order to apply and interpret theoretical knowledge necessary to conduct research. The range of duties includes, but is not limited to: project planning, experimental design, developing methodology, conducting procedures, modifying procedures as needed, data collection and analysis, overall laboratory management, animal colony oversight and project management, preparing reports, and communication and instruction. Work may include the training and supervision of staff, students and others in performing specific techniques or phases of experiments.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops experimental designs and has primary responsibility for planning, implementation, evaluation and interpretation results. The design process may be in collaboration with the PI or completed independently.
- Identifies problems, troubleshoots and analyzes variations observed and reported in regular testing protocols; modifies, refines or adapts techniques and procedures; modifies and/or adjusts quality control measures.
- Coordinates and/or conducts multiple, concurrent assignments or a multi-faceted project.
- Compiles, analyzes, and interprets research data using various computer software applications.
- Monitors documentation of results; reviews and recognizes documentation, which may lead to modification and adaptation of research methodologies; may collaborate with others. Adapts and/or modifies experimental methods based upon interpretation of data.
- Conducts literature searches and participates in editing and preparing manuscripts, scientific illustrations and computer graphics for publication.
- Oversees and assures laboratory compliance with regulatory requirements and JHU standards, policies and procedures.
- Works with research staff to prioritize and schedule projects.
Equipment, Machine, or Tool Requirements:
- Electrophoresis equipment, centrifuges and PCR.
- Operates lab computers (Mac) for data entry.
- Proficiency in MS Excel or Animal Colony Management software is preferred.
B.S. degree in biology, chemistry or related field and two years laboratory experience performing relevant techniques. Master's degree, with related graduate research, may substitute for experience to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
JHU Equivalency Formula: 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience.
Salary: $37,781 - $51,950
Work Schedule/Hours: Monday-Friday/8:30-5:00pm/37.5 hrs
Location: East Baltimore Campus
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org . For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information
Research Specialist, Weill Cornell Medicine, United States, about 14 hours ago
Title: Research Specialist Location: Upper East Side Org Unit: Appel Institute Work Days: Monday-Friday Exemption Status: Non-exempt Position Summary This position will be located in the Gan labor...
Research Technician Ii, Weill Cornell Medicine, United States, 13 days ago
Title: Research Technician II Location: Upper East Side Org Unit: Annarita DiLorenzo Lab Work Days: Monday-Friday Exemption Status: Non-exempt Position Summary Under supervision, assists scientist...
Research Technician I, Weill Cornell Medicine, United States, 22 days ago
Title: Research Technician I Location: Upper East Side Org Unit: Multiple Sclerosis Lab Work Days: Monday-Friday Exemption Status: Non-exempt Position Summary Under supervision, assists scientists...
Research Technician I, Weill Cornell Medicine, United States, 1 day ago
Title: Research Technician I Location: Upper East Side Org Unit: Jingli Cao Lab Work Days: Exemption Status: Non-exempt Position Summary Participate in an exciting research environment to investig...
Cce Of Saratoga County Animal Science Resource Educator – Ballston Spa, Ny, Cornell University, United States, about 7 hours ago
CCE of Saratoga County is seeking a full time qualified and experienced incumbent responsible for developing, planning, implementing and evaluating the 4-H Animal Science and CCE Equine educationa...
Procurement Specialist Rarc Temporary, Weill Cornell Medicine, United States, 13 days ago
Title: Procurement Specialist - RARC - Temporary Location: Upper East Side Org Unit: Administrative Finance and Info Services Work Days: Monday-Friday Exemption Status: Non-exempt Position Summary...