Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation's capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitment to social justice. Our community is a tight knit group of remarkable individuals interested in intellectual inquiry and making a difference in the world.
Research Specialist II, Biochemistry and Molecular & Cellular Biology, Georgetown University Medical Center
The Research Specialist 2 (RS2) will provide critical scientific support and play a co-managing role in the skin biology research program in the laboratory of Dr. Dean Rosenthal , and will be responsible for basic laboratory research, performing technical aspects of assigned projects, development of lab protocols and procedures, ordering reagents and keeping track of reagents and lab materials, and helping in the training of other technical staff and students in the lab in certain technical skills. The RS2 will assist the PIs with grant preparation, literature searches, slide preparations, research meetings, and other presentations.
The Research Specialist's duties include but are not limited to:
- Performs tests, assays, and protocols appropriate to the project, and follows standard protocols.
- Administers day-to-day laboratory organization and procedures for management of assigned projects.
- Performs immunohistochemical staining, computer- imaging and enumeration, protein / western blots and appropriate 2D and 3D cell culture and histological procedures, as well as CometChip assays.
- Develops laboratory protocols and procedures, and investigates, evaluates, does background testing, and implements new and optimized protocols; problem solving and trouble-shooting.
- Performs literature searches as needed • Provides data analyses and statistical evaluation.
- Keep track of the experimental animals if any; animal care, treatments, measurements, imaging, dissection, preparation of tissues for protein/RNA analysis
- Contributes to generation of high quality data for publications and for grant applications. Generate publicationquality data for ~two manuscripts per year.
- Maintains or oversees the maintenance of laboratory supplies and inventory.
- Ensures preventative maintenance and all necessary procedures are conducted to ensure that equipment is maintained in good operating conditions at all times.
- Provides training for staff, students, and users for procedures and use of lab equipment.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities appropriate to the position and the goals of the laboratory.
- Master’s degree required in biology/biochemistry, molecular biology, cell biology, or biotechnology.
- One year of relevant experience in molecular biology/biochemistry and lab maintenance
- Experience required in molecular biology such as RNA and DNA extraction, cloning, RT-PCR, qPCR, cellular biology, cell culture, transfection, transduction, immunostaining, protein extraction, immunoprecipitation, western blot, Comet assays, cell viability and apoptosis assays
- Working knowledge and expertise in the operation and applications of equipment including brightfield and fluorescence microscopes, standard immunohistochemistry procedures, automated equipment for conducting assays and analysis, digital and other imaging technology, software and computer support for operations, and for other equipment in the laboratory including molecular biology procedures and equipment for DNA and RNA, PCR, gels, biochemical assays
- Experience in use of mouse models and animal maintenance
- Biochemistry methods such as protein extraction, immunoprecipitation, western blot
- Ability to work in a team environment and strong organizational skills are critical Preferred requirements and qualifications should be listed separately here
- Expertise in DNA repair assays (CometChip assays), 3D cell culture, mouse xenografting and treatment (gavage) and small animal research
- Excellent communication skills – both verbal and written, management and organization skills
- Strong computer skills, expertise in imaging and graphic software, statistics, data analysis and ability to multitask; familiarity and ability to work with various laboratory equipment
- Ability to produce publication quality data to assist in paper and grant submissions by PI; computer skills: powerpoint, excel, word, photoshop
- Doctorate degree
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu ) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or email@example.com .
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website .
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law .
Georgetown University offers a wide variety of comprehensive and competitive benefits. Benefits packages include comprehensive health, dental and vision plans, disability and life insurance coverage, retirement savings programs, tuition assistance, voluntary insurance options (including group legal, accident, and critical illness), and much more. Whatever your need, the Office of Faculty and Staff Benefits will be standing by to support you. You can learn more about the benefits offered to eligible faculty and staff at https://benefits.georgetown.edu or view the online interactive benefits guide for more information.
Laboratory Technician I, Henry M. Jackson Foundation, United States, about 3 hours ago
Join the HJF Team! HJF is seeking a Laboratory Technician I to support the Kortum laboratory in the Department of Pharmacology at Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, ...
Faculty Specialist, University of Maryland, United States, about 14 hours ago
Posting Details Posting Details Position Number: 125287 Title: Faculty Specialist Functional Title: Faculty Specialist Category Status: 15-Fac.Non-Tenured,Continuing Con Applicant Search Category:...
Laboratory Technician Ii, Henry M. Jackson Foundation, United States, about 2 hours ago
Join the HJF Team! HJF is seeking a Laboratory Technician II to support the Diarrheal Pathogens in the Microbiology & Immunology Department at the Uniformed Services University (USU) in Bethesda, ...
Assistant Professor Of Anatomy & Cell Biology (Histology/Medical Ethics), George Washington University, United States, about 17 hours ago
Recruitment Plan I. RECRUITMENT PLAN Posting Number: F001582 Academic Title: Assistant Professor of Anatomy & Cell Biology (Histology/Medical Ethics) Rank: Assistant Professor Administrative Title...
Assistant/Associate Professor Of Anatomy & Cell Biology (Gross Anatomy/Neuroanatomy), George Washington University, United States, about 17 hours ago
Recruitment Plan I. RECRUITMENT PLAN Posting Number: F001583 Academic Title: Assistant/Associate Professor of Anatomy & Cell Biology (Gross Anatomy/Neuroanatomy) Rank: Associate Professor, Assista...
Faculty Assistant, University of Maryland, United States, about 14 hours ago
Posting Details Posting Details Position Number: 124793 Title: Faculty Assistant Functional Title: Faculty Assistant Category Status: 15-Fac.Non-Tenured,Continuing Con Applicant Search Category: F...