The Research Scientist will be involved directly in the execution and frequently the design of Dr. Sellers’ research activities. The candidate will support the PI with designing experiments constituting a phase of a research project for which precedents are few. S/he will: conduct experiments which may involve coordinating a complex experimental protocol; collaborate with the PI to design a research approach of a project and/or integrate results of the project; independently identify/modify standard procedures based on judgment concerning the general goals of a project; and develop, test, and evaluate new protocols and methods by remaining up to date on relevant new literature.
The candidate will support the preparation of various protocols, proposals, progress, and final reports as well as be likely co-author on reports for publication or professional presentation with the work being reviewed by the PI or faculty. S/he will present ongoing work and findings to colleagues in internal and external research settings and complete project-related administrative and budgetary responsibilities of a limited scope as needed. It is expected that the Research Scientist help oversee the guidance of postdoctoral scholars, graduate and undergraduate students in the laboratory.
• Design research approaches for a major portion of research project(s), including background research, experimental design and execution, problem-solving, and writing up for publication.
• Develop new protocols; test and evaluate a variety of approaches.
• Perform complex (lab and/or field) experiments, and maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes; analyze and interpret research data resulting from original procedures and methods.
• Assist with new research proposals and applications for funding and grants.
• Lead or participate in multidisciplinary teams across different faculties or schools.
• Prepare periodic progress reports or written reports on all phases of the research project.
• Contribute substantively to the preparation of papers for publication, especially in the results section. May be a co-author on publications. Present ongoing work and findings to colleagues at academic conferences.
• Perform ongoing literature review to remain current with new procedures and related research; propose new research directions based on new advances discussed in literature.
• Oversee supply and equipment budget under minimal supervision of principal investigator or business manager.
• Work with health and safety department to ensure lab complies with regulations and all required trainings.
• Formally supervise and train new staff or students as needed, including hiring, performance management, and related duties, in addition to instruction on techniques and consultation on project work.
Director, Sofia, American Geophysical Union, United States, 5 days ago
SOFIA, the Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy, is a NASA program to understand Cosmic Origins by studying the formation and evolution of planets, stars and galaxies, planets in our s...
Library And Librarian, The California State University, United States, 24 days ago
Description: San José State University - San José, California POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT Subject to Budgetary Approval Specialization: Instruction Strategy Librarian Job Opening ID (JOID): 25186 Rank: ...
Budget And Personnel Specialist, The California State University, United States, 1 day ago
Description: Reporting to the Chief of Staff, the Budget and Personnel Specialist works independently to provide highly complex administrative office support for the Chief of Staff and the Office ...
Research And Innovation Marketing And Communications Specialist, The California State University, United States, about 14 hours ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 25281 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: December 12, 2019 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: CSUEU (Unit 2, 5, 7, 9) ...
Events And Communications Analyst, The California State University, United States, 3 days ago
Description: Reporting to the Dean of Humanities & the Arts and working in close collaboration with the Dean's and Hammer Theatre staff, the Events and Communication Analyst is charged with overse...
Assistant Director For Transition Programs, The California State University, United States, 24 days ago
Campus: San Jose Job ID: 25258 Job Title: Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: November 19, 2019 Closing Date: Open until filled Benefits Link: Academic Support (Unit 4...