Harvard Medical School
The Research Data Manager Specialist reports to the Health Care Policy (HCP) Department Data Manager and works with highly confidential regulated healthcare data from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and other healthcare providers, insurers, state, and federal sources. These data form the foundation for HCP's research and publications. The positions core focus will be the organization, management, and optimization of HCP’s data warehouse for CMS data, enabling ease of use and access by HCP faculty, biostatisticians, analysts, and students.
The role will serve as a gatekeeper for the HCP secure regulated data environment, enduring download requests meet all cell suppression and deidentification of personal health identifier criteria. They will guide researchers through the Data Safety research compliance process, advising on research data management best practices that comply with Harvard information technology security policies.
They provide support and training resources related to regulated data while collaborating with faculty investigators and analysts to ensure compliance with data use agreement requirements and Harvard data security policies. The Research Data Manager Specialist maintains the metadata and documentation repository for all data resources in the Center for Healthcare Data Analytics (CHDA). In addition, they will serve as the point knowledge specialist for HCP data resources and data analysis software, as well as help analysts solve connection and coding issues in collaboration with HCP information technology support staff.
- Perform extract, transform, and load (ETL) processes for research identifiable files from Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) data. Work may include creating project-specific analytic data sets from the master data resources.
- Reviews output and data extract download requests from the CHDA regulated data environment for cell suppression and personal health information.
- Investigates data issues related to the regulated and public use data sets.
- Support faculty research goals with use of highly confidential research data including curation and linking of public use files with the CMS data
- Provide orientation and one-on-one training for users of the regulated environment including collaborating with HCP and HMS help desks to navigate user’s identity and access connection issues.
- Maintains user group collaborations through internal websites and Microsoft Teams.
- Supports the HCP onboarding and offboarding process including implementation of enhancements to the database application in Microsoft Power Apps and Automate.
- Must be able to communicate clearly with both technical and non-technical staff about HCP data issues and usage, converting complex data into understandable recommendations, visualizations, and written reports.
- Minimum of two years’ post-secondary education or relevant work experience
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelors degree with 2+ years of relevant experience in data management, data governance, and/or statistical analysis.
- 2+ years of coding with statistical software or data science applications.
- Experience in managing individually identifiable and high-risk confidential information. Strong technical skills using SQL, Stata, R, Ohython, or other scripting languages profilling of large datasets to assess data quality and identify issues, inconsistencies, and missing data.
- Demonstration of strong analytical, organizational, and task management skills.
- Experience with medical claims data resources, such as Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) data, insurance claims data, or other electronic health record data.
- Ability to handle confidential information with high discretion.
- Experience working large datasets in a variety of formats, understanding of different file structures, relational databases, and able to extract and transform to analytic sets.
- Experience with Microsoft products, especially Teams, SharePoint, and Excel, as well as developing workflows in Power Automate or application in Power Apps is desirable.
- Experience with Unix/Linux command line interfaces.
- Understanding of data models, taxonomy, and an appreciation of data standards, organization and quality.
- Aptitude for and interest in acquiring new development skills and learning new software/programming languages to support research teams evolving needs.
- Customer service experience demonstrating a customer-focused, results-oriented attitude and an ability to successfully negotiate and collaborate with others of different skillsets, backgrounds, and levels within HU.
- Understanding of data compliance policies and regulations (e.g., HIPPA) related to working with medical claims data, electronic health records, and other sensitive personal health information.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills, both written and verbal. Comfortable with knowledge sharing among both technical and bob-technical research staff.
- Ability to work independently while finding solutions to problems in collaboration with small research teams.
Certificates and Licenses
- Completion of Harvard IT Academy specified foundational courses (or external equivalent) preferred
This is a one-year term position from the date of hire, with the possibility of extension, contingent upon work performance and continued funding to support the position.
This position is based in Boston and some in-person on-campus work will be required, and flexible/remote work is an option. Any remote work must be performed in a state in which Harvard is registered to do business (CA*, CT, GA, IL, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, RI, VA, VT, and WA). Individual flexible and remote work options for this role will be discussed during the interview process. *Note: Harvard employees working in California must be exempt.
Harvard University continues to place the highest priority on the health, safety, and well-being of its faculty, staff, and students, as well as the wider community. Please note that all new employees will be required to complete an attestation of having received their primary series COVID-19 vaccination prior to hire, as detailed on ourCOVID-19 Vaccine Requirement Webpage
. Individuals may request exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons prior to completing the hiring process. Additional information regarding this requirement, exemptions, verification of vaccination status, and other related policies and resources may be found on the University’sCOVID-19 Information Website
Please note that we are currently conducting a majority of interviews and onboarding remotely and virtually. We appreciate your understanding.
The Harvard Medical School is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Not ready to apply? Join our talent community to keep in touch and learn about future opportunities!
We invite you to visit Harvard’s Total Rewards website to learn more about our outstanding benefits package, which may include:
- Paid Time Off: 3-4 weeks of accrued vacation time per year (3 weeks for support staff and 4 weeks for administrative/professional staff), 12 accrued sick days per year, 12.5 holidays plus a Winter Recess in December/January, 3 personal days per year (prorated based on date of hire), and up to 12 weeks of paid leave for new parents who are primary care givers.
- Health and Welfare: Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, disability and life insurance programs, along with voluntary benefits. Most coverage begins as of your start date.
- Work/Life and Wellness: Child and elder/adult care resources including on campus childcare centers, Employee Assistance Program, and wellness programs related to stress management, nutrition, meditation, and more.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with contributions from 5% to 15% of eligible compensation, based on age and earnings with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive program including $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and reduced tuition through other participating Harvard graduate schools.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Program that provides 75% to 90% reimbursement up to $5,250 per calendar year for eligible courses taken at other accredited institutions.
- Professional Development: Programs and classes at little or no cost, including through the Harvard Center for Workplace Development and LinkedIn Learning.
- Commuting and Transportation: Various commuter options handled through the Parking Office, including discounted parking, half-priced public transportation passes and pre-tax transit passes, biking benefits, and more.
- Harvard Facilities Access, Discounts and Perks: Access to Harvard athletic and fitness facilities, libraries, campus events, credit union, and more, as well as discounts to various types of services (legal, financial, etc.) and cultural and leisure activities throughout metro-Boston.
Department Office Location
USA - MA - Boston
I1356P IT Data Architect Prof II
Hybrid (partially on-site, partially remote)
Health Care Policy
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Criminal, Education, Identity
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
We are committed to cultivating an inclusive workplace culture of faculty, staff, and students with diverse backgrounds, styles, abilities, and motivations. We appreciate and leverage the capabilities, insights, and ideas of all individuals. Harvard Medical School Mission and Community Values
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Msl, Novartis, Japan, 15 days ago
Job Description To serve as a liaison to the medical/ scientific community and responsible for establishing, developing and partnering with Health Care Providers/ Professionals (HCPs) and HCS. To ...
Doctoral Student In Precision Nutrition And Multi Omics Research, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, about 18 hours ago
This is a unique opportunity to join a highly productive and innovative research team at the forefront of precision nutrition research. You will have the chance to develop cutting-edge skills in m...
Staff Chaplain Foxborough And Milford Regional Campuses, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, United States, 16 days ago
Details Posted: 13-May-23 Location: Foxborough, Massachusetts Salary: Open Internal Number: 2023-34662 The Staff Chaplain will provide spiritual support and services to patients and caregivers and...
Doctoral Student In Precision Nutrition And Multi Omics Research, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, 17 days ago
12 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Chalmers University of Technology Research Field Biological sciences » Nutritional sciences Computer science » Programming Medical sciences » Medic...
Associate Academic Research Scientist School Of Medicine, Pediatrics, Emory University, United States, 7 days ago
Emory University is a leading research university that fosters excellence and attracts world-class talent to innovate today and prepare leaders for the future. We welcome candidates who can contri...
Research Associate Dr. Heather Melichar' Lab, McGill University, Canada, 4 days ago
Please refer to the How to Apply for a Job (for External Candidates) job aid for instructions on how to apply. If you are an active McGill employee (ie: currently in an active contract or positio...