|Department||UNC Inst for the Environment - 635200|
|Career Area||Research Professionals|
|Posting Open Date||11/18/2022|
|Position Type||Temporary Staff (SHRA)|
|Position Title||Research Assistant|
|Hours per week||15|
|Position Location||North Carolina, US|
|Hiring Range||17.00 to 20.00 per hour|
|Proposed Start Date||01/03/2023|
|Estimated Duration of Appointment||6 months or less|
|Primary Purpose of Organizational Unit||
The Center for Public Engagement with Science (CPES) in the UNC Institute for the Environment enhances public understanding of current environmental science and health research and its relevance to daily life, empowering North Carolinians to make informed decisions that protect the environment and public health. We provide technical assistance to community groups and government agencies, prepare K-12 teachers to bring current science into classrooms, and create experiential education opportunities for undergraduate students. We also coordinate citizen science programming that enables lay publics to participate in environmental science research. In 2015, we received the Office of the Provost Award for Engaged Scholarship for Partnership, which recognized our partnerships with Triangle-area environmental nonprofits and local governments to protect area waterways. We seek to work with individuals who value teamwork and creativity and recognize the power of experiential learning.
The UNC Institute for the Environment (IE) has a multifaceted mission:
(1) To strengthen environmental research capacity across UNC by supporting a multi-disciplinary community of scholars that enhances collaboration, increases sharing of knowledge, and identifies solutions to the world’s critical environmental problems.
(2) To work in partnership across UNC and with external partners to coordinate and deliver 21st century educational programs that provide students with the experience and skills to thrive in a growing global economy.
(3) To put new environmental knowledge into action by engaging and serving communities, here in North Carolina and around the world.
(4) To fuel and harness the university’s sustainability activities through the Sustainable Carolina Initiative
The Research Assistant is a temporary staff member in the Center for Public Engagement with Science (CPES). This position will assist CPES with the Private Well and Water Infrastructure Equity Research Project. This position will assist CPES staff in implementing research on well water infrastructure and equity. Activities will include conducting literature reviews, coordinating interviews with community organizations and residents, collecting well water samples, and contributing to communication materials.
|Minimum Education and Experience Requirements||
Bachelor’s degree in a discipline related to the area of assignment; or equivalent combination of training and experience. All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
|Required Qualifications, Competencies, and Experience||
* Experience conducting literature reviews
* Experience conducting qualitative research, including interviews and focus groups
* Experience working with community-based organizations
* Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
* Ability to work as a member of a team and independently
* Applicants who have not completed Collaborative Institutional Training Institute (CITI) training in social and behavioral conduct of research will be required to do so prior to beginning work on projects that involve human subjects.
|Preferred Qualifications, Competencies, and Experience||
* Experience collecting water samples
* Experience designing communications materials
|Special Physical/Mental Requirements|
|Campus Security Authority Responsibilities||
|Temporary Employment Policies||
Temporary Employment Policies
Posting Contact Information
|Office of Human Resources Contact Information||
If you experience any problems accessing the system or have questions about the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (919) 843-2300 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: The Office of Human Resources will not be able to provide specific updates regarding position or application status.
|Equal Opportunity Employer Statement||
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, race, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.
Post Doc Research Associate, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, United States, 20 days ago
Post-Doc Research Associate Primary Purpose of Organizational Unit The UNC School of Medicine has a rich tradition of excellence and care. Our mission is to improve the health and wellbeing of Nor...
Post Doc Research Associate, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC), United States, 17 days ago
Primary Purpose of Organizational Unit The UNC School of Medicine has a rich tradition of excellence and care. Our mission is to improve the health and wellbeing of North Carolinians, and others w...
Postdoctoral Associate, Department of Chemistry, United States, 11 days ago
Position ID:Duke -Department of Chemistry -IMH_PSD [#24159] Position Title: Position Type:Postdoctoral Position Location:Durham, North Carolina 27708, United States [map ] Subject Area: Chemistry...
Postdoctoral Associate, Civil and Environmental Engineering, United States, 11 days ago
Position ID:Duke -Civil and Environmental Engineering -PD_BERGIN1 [#24085, 3820] Position Title: Position Type:Postdoctoral Position Location:Durham, North Carolina 27708, United States [map ] Su...
Epa Postdoctoral Fellowship On Evaluating Health Impacts Of Underground Storage Tank Emissions Using Electronic Health Records: North Carolina, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), United States, 17 days ago
Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation. AgencyU.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)LocationChapel Hill, North CarolinaJob CategoryPost Doctoral Appoi...
Postdoctoral Research Associate In Computational Structural Biology, Computer Science, United States, 11 days ago
Position ID:Duke -CS -PDA_DLAB [#24179, 3820] Position Title: Position Type:Postdoctoral Position Location:Durham, North Carolina 27708, United States [map ] Subject Area: Computer Science / Com...