Research Advancement Manager
The School of Biological and Health Systems Engineering (SBHSE) is seeking a talented individual to join the team and support the advancement of critical research initiatives. SBHSE is a school in the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering and works at the interface of technology and medicine on challenges that are critical to the advancement of health and scientific discovery. Under administrative direction of the School Director, the Research Advancement Manager provides leadership to enhance and increase the success of the research enterprise of SBHSE. As such, SBHSE is seeking a candidate who has demonstrated success in building a collaborative team and effectively supporting research advancement strategies and proactive activities.
The position directs and supervises pre- and post-award management of the unit’s sponsored research projects by providing oversight of the research pre-award team in the development, preparation, and submission of sponsored projects proposals to various funding agencies and oversight of the post-award team in the administration and financial oversight of sponsored and non-sponsored projects, and leads the professional development of the staff.
Working at ASU has additional perks and outstanding benefits, which include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; sick leave and holidays; ASU/UA/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members, state, and optional retirement plans; access to ASU recreation and cultural activities; and more. To estimate the value of your total compensation, please visit https://cfo.asu.edu/compensation-estimator .
Engineering will consider a relocation stipend for candidates on a case-by-case basis.
Sch Biological & Hlth Sys Engr
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
$66,000 - $80,000 per year; DOE
- Leads new administrative initiatives impacting research administration and compliance.
- Provides research administration specific guidance to leadership including pre- and post-award activities, requests, policies, and practices.
- Serves as primary liaison and subject matter expert for resolution of issues related to sponsored research, strategic planning and implementation of SBHSE's research goals and objectives.
- Directs operational initiatives and processes in pre-award and post-award areas.
- Monitors faculty finances for the school by examining financial reports.
- Directs and implements policies and procedures relative to pre- and post-award operations within SBHSE.
- Leads the effort to develop workload performance indicators for comparison with benchmarking data in support of the School’s and ASU’s mission.
- Responsible for personnel actions in accordance with university polices.
- Conduct employee reviews and make recommendations on promotions and annual merit increases.
- Supervise and mentor pre- and post-award research advancement staff to verify that all SBHSE and established ASU research processes are properly implemented.
- Coordinate and support team development by providing training for department staff.
- Provide expert guidance and counsel to staff when issues, questions, or other matters arise relating to grants and contracts.
- Evaluates work methods and procedures and sets clear team goals.
- Fosters a positive team climate by working collaboratively.
Workload in either Financial Account Support or Pre-Award/Proposal Support
Financial Account Support
- Manages a complex portfolio of accounts; analyzes and prepares reports.
- Monitors and approves expenditures and various financial processes related to sponsored projects.
- Forecasts accounts to avoid deficits and provide information to end users for decision making.
- Responsible for development, preparation, and submission of research proposals.
- Administrative resource to investigators, provides guidance and counsel during development and proposal submission.
- Assists with post submission action items requested by the sponsor such as just-in-time requests, revised budgets, scope of work changes, and additional certifications.
- Manages cost share, limited submissions, and internal funding initiatives.
- Exercises the highest level of discretion in dealing with sensitive and/or confidential information concerning professional and personal issues.
- Responds to requests timely using effective interpersonal communication, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills and methods.
Bachelor's degree in a related field. Seven years experience in any combination of the following areas: procurement (federal, state, or industrial), proposal submissions, contract negotiation, grant and contract administration and financial administration; which includes two years of supervisory experience,OR Any equivalent combination of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skill and abilities have been achieved.
- Experience in taking initiative, acting with diplomacy, being proactive, and effectively managing stressful situations.
- Experience with work that requires attention to detail, organization, and time management.
- Evidence of effective communication skills.
- Experience in using analytical skills.
- Evidence of supervision including leadership, team coordination, and performance development.
- Demonstrated knowledge of policies, regulations, and strategies pertaining to proposal, grant, and contract administration.
- Experience in working with large groups of faculty in the pre- and post-award context and with a variety of sponsors in a high-volume, fast-paced environment that is subject to quickly changing priorities and deadlines.
- Experience working across multiple disciplines in a transdisciplinary environment.
- Experience working in higher education.
- Activities are primarily performed in a regular, climate controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting.
- Visual acuity and manual dexterity associated with daily use of desktop computer; bending, stooping, reaching and lifting up to 20 pounds.
- Ability to clearly communicate to perform essential duties.
- Ability to work both independently or within a complex structured team.
- May determine methods and procedures on new assignments and may provide guidance to unit personnel.
- Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices & policies in selecting methods, techniques & evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Managerial review of results and objectives.
The Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering is the largest producer of engineering and technical talent in the nation and seeks to deliver a world-class learning experience for our students and to advance research and innovation – all at scale. We value and emphasize inherently interdisciplinary endeavors that leverage the breadth and depth of expertise among our outstanding faculty, and have built a unique place for large-scale innovation characterized by foundational excellence and translational impacts. We are an engineering school on the rise at the most innovative university in the country and in the heart of the nation’s fifth largest metropolitan area. The scale of our faculty research interests and interdisciplinary mindset, combined with more than 48 graduate degree programs and 25 undergraduate degree programs, provide the foundation for knowledge generation and collaborative opportunities to advance new ideas.
The Fulton Schools of Engineering, located across ASU’s Tempe and Polytechnic campuses, is comprised of seven schools based on academic programs and research areas. Fulton Engineering has a nationally recognized faculty that conducts research, instructs and mentors students, provides service to engineering, computing and technology professions and creates lasting impacts across local and global communities.
The Fulton Schools of Engineering follows a framework of values designed to distinguish our practice and guide daily decisions in our academic, research, corporate engagement and entrepreneurial endeavors. These values influence how we recognize, reward and communicate our achievements. At the Fulton Schools of Engineering, we:
- Cultivate excellence.
- Deliver innovation that matters.
- Encourage bold thinking.
- Foster a community of learning and collaboration.
- Build a foundation for all to be successful.
Working at ASU has outstanding benefits that include: health, dental and vision insurance plans; ASU/UA/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; life insurance and disability programs; sick leave and holidays; state and optional retirement plans; access to ASU recreation and cultural activities, and more. To estimate the value of your total compensation, please visithttps://cfo.asu.edu/compensation-estimator
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU PD at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources .
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Fingerprint Check Statement
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.
Post Award Management Coordinator, Institute of Photonic Sciences, Luxembourg, 10 days ago
ICFO is a research center located in the Mediterranean Technology Park in the metropolitan area of Barcelona, and currently hosts 400+ people, including researchers, PhD students and staff personn...
Grants & Contracts Specialist Iii (Pre & Post Award), University of Pittsburgh, United States, about 19 hours ago
Grants & Contracts Specialist III (Pre & Post-Award) Med-Neurology - Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh - (23008660) In addition, perform pre-post award accounting for clinical trials, this includes budget n...
Sr Research Operations Analyst, City of Hope, United States, 13 days ago
About City of Hope City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases. Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader...
Sponsored Prog Administrator, William and Mary, United States, 2 days ago
Position Information Position Information Present Position Number 00798W Role Code Title Financial Specialist II Position Title Sponsored Prog Administrator Unit Mission Statement The William & Ma...
Senior Grants Manager, Harvard University, United States, about 16 hours ago
01-Dec-2023 Harvard Medical School 64363BR Position Description The Senior Grants Manager (SGM) will be responsible for all pre-and post-award management for a specific grants portfolio. Pre-award...
Communications And Grant/Technical Writer, University of Alberta, Canada, about 13 hours ago
This position is a part of the Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA). This position has a term length of one year plus a day with a possibility of renewal and offers a comprehensive benefits packa...