Sun Corridor Network (SCN), as Arizona’s Research and Education Network is among the fastest growing such organizations in the country. Formed as a collaboration between Arizona’s public universities our mission is to advance connectivity, research, and education at gigabit speeds for all Arizonans. The SCN is at the forefront of advancing innovative technologies to address the most pressing needs of educators, researchers, and society in Arizona. Among these challenges are digital inclusion, science instruction & engagement, research data transit, cloud computing, and regional scale innovation. Embedded within Arizona State University’s Enterprise Technology division we act in concert with the technology experts from all three state Universities.
ASU, the largest state university and recognized for the last 8 years in a row by US News & World Report as the most innovative university, is committed to maintaining the most dynamic and productive learning experience in higher education. Enterprise Technology (ET) is at the forefront of developing IT platforms and tools that add value to the student experience.
The ideal SCN R&E Network Engineer will have a proven track record of technical leadership and success in designing, evaluating, and implementing backbone and branch networks from conception to resolution. Our Network Engineers must demonstrate in-depth knowledge of network engineering, concepts, and best practices, with operational experience in supporting a medium to large-scale service provider (SP) network. As a technical leader, Network Engineers manage diverse stakeholder relationships (with both internal members and external vendors) as SCN continues developing new services and delivering cutting edge technologies to our members. An interest in working with new technologies and pushing the envelope on existing technology is a must.
As with everyone in the Enterprise Technology team, our intentional focus on diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging as well as culture and communications are core responsibilities in this role. With an increased emphasis on authenticity, compassion, and inclusivity, this position strives to embody and advance our Enterprise Technology Positive Core .
ET Sun Corridor Network
ASU Enterprise Technology
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
$95,000-$145,000 per year; DOE
On the job, SCN Network Engineers perform the following primary job duties:
- Identifying and delivering first-in-class technology solutions to members utilizing a mix of different manufacturer and developer products, while remaining conscious of the financial constraints of publicly funded institutions of varying sizes.
- Implementing long-term strategies as theoretical needs materialize into actual needs, including deployment and maintenance of routers, switches, firewalls, application servers, and copper and fiber optic networking and devices.
- Identifying the current networking needs of connected members and the appropriate solutions available to meet those needs in a cost-effective manner.
- Identifying, troubleshooting, and resolving technical network problems and unintended consequences of technology solutions which might compromise the integrity of SCN deployed technologies in the backbone, aggregation layer, or on-premise equipment used to deliver connectivity.
- Applying strong and professional communication skills to interact with and relate to non-technical users, highly technical users, and business administrators from a wide variety of backgrounds.
- Culturally cognizant and aware of, and able to interact with, the variety of Tribal, minority, unserved and underserved communities that SCN is/will be supporting.
- Providing operational support to both SCN staff and SCN members in the daily use and configuration of the equipment deployed as a part of SCN’s statewide infrastructure.
- Identifying, troubleshooting, and communicating about recurring platform issues with SCN’s Network Architects to ensure such issues are addressed in long-term strategic plans.
- Applying strong hands-on skills with essential infrastructure components, including Routers, Switches, Firewalls, Application servers, and copper and fiber optic networking mediums and devices.
- Applying strong hands-on skills essential infrastructure management protocols, including iBGP, eBGP, OSPF, OSPFv3, IPv6, MPLS and Metro Ethernet Forum (MEF) connectivity types.
- Adaptability in rapidly acquiring understanding of emerging infrastructure technologies as new solutions become available.
Take responsibility for fostering culture, advancing our values, and championing engagement in all its forms -- collaborating across our teams as well as participating in ET/ASU events and programs. Demonstrates commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment. Advances our Enterprise Technology Affirmative Pledge .
Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Information Systems, or related field AND five years’ of related experience, which includes three years of supervisory experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Ability to stimulate changes in individual, institutional, and corporate behaviors to create a more sustainable environment
- Ability to lead by example in communicating, participating and encouraging support of the institution’s sustainability programs
- Ability to identify creative solutions to challenges presented to successfully build a network across multiple jurisdictions and varying policy guidelines and restrictions
- Ability to model empathy, compassion, and emotional intelligence
- Creativity in problem solving and solution development.
- Ability to understand respectfully engage the vast cultural diversity of Arizona
- Experience hiring in a values-led organization, emphasizing diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging
- Ability to help foster a safe psychological space for all teammates where everyone can thrive
- Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding, and manipulating a computer mouse; required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work
- Frequent bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds
- Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts
- Ability to clearly communicate to perform essential functions
Enterprise Technology (ET) embraces its role as both an enabler and catalyst for advancing the vision and work of the New American University. We are a values-driven organization. Our commitments are reflected in all of the work we do in pursuit of operational excellence, the experience and delight of our community, and our strategic and innovation initiatives. Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States.
Join the team that sparks human-centered innovation.
ET is a rapidly reconfigurable and entrepreneurial organization at ASU that prioritizes and
executes to meet the needs of our community of learners, faculty, researchers and staff. Our
work emphasizes autonomy, flexibility and distributed decision-making to leverage the strengths of individuals. Together, we embrace a culture that nurtures, engages and embraces diverse voices with a shared lens of positive community impact and expanded opportunities for collaboration.
Why join us?
Mission oriented. Everything we do is to advance ASU’s charter (see below) -- measuring who we include and how they succeed along with serving our communities. We are staunch champions of learner success and put people first.
Flexibility. Our hybrid work environment prioritizes personal autonomy and trust around how work gets done. Staff touch base in person a few times per week with freedom to decide how, when and where.
Culture forward. We embrace a Positive Core culture: Belonging, Relational, Authentic, Visionary and Empowered. The ET fabric weaves together diversity, equity and inclusion applied in our daily work and interactions.
Scale of impact. Our work changes the world. With 180k+ learners, faculty, researchers and staff, working with ET means you have the capacity to improve many lives and entire communities.
World-class, low cost education. Our professional development is built in! ET encourages staff to seek additional certificates and degrees via ASU’s top ranked programs with major tuition breaks.
Exposure to industry giants. ET partners with Amazon, Apple, Cox, Verizon, Salesforce, Alteryx and a diversity of technology companies to enhance our innovations and deepen their impact.
Making a difference. We offer the ability to improve the lives of children, students and families across the state, through initiatives in digital equity, science democracy, and smart cities.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources .
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Fingerprint Check Statement
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
Assistant Professor In Information & Communication Systems , Universiti Brunei Darussalam ;, United Kingdom, 5 days ago
Location: Bandar Seri Begawan - Brunei Salary: Not specified Hours: Full Time Contract Type: Permanent Placed on: 16th January 2023 Closes: The Faculty of Integrated Techno...
Network Analyst I, University of Mississippi, United States, about 15 hours ago
Note for Current UM Employees Current employees must apply internally via connectU > connectu.olemiss.edu Definition of Class This position is responsible for assisting in the design, installation...
Research Associate (Postdoc) In Sdn/Nfv, Interdisciplinary Centre for Security, Reliability and Trust (SnT), University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg, about 23 hours ago
Research Associate (Postdoc) in SDN/NFV (Valid from 17/01/2023 to 21/03/2023) Language: English (UK) Country: Luxembourg Organisation Interdisciplinary Centre of Security, Reliability and Trust da...
Senior Core Network Specialist Developer, University of Alberta, Canada, 5 days ago
This position is a part of the Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA). This position offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at: Faculty & Staff Benefits . Location - North camp...
Drug Product Functional Lead Senior Expert Science & Technology, Novartis, Austria, 4 days ago
Job Description Drug Product Functional Lead, Global Drug Development, Schaftenau, Austria 45+ curious and engaged scientists are developing together 15+ Biologics in the Drug Product Development ...
Part Time Department Coordinator (F/M/D), Central European University, Hungary, 7 days ago
Position: Staff Location: Vienna Status: Part-time Unit: Department of Network and Data Science E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Open for Employee Referral Application deadline: Open until filled Startin...