AIR is seeking a Quantitative Researcher focused on advancing justice and public health to join our Youth, Family, and Community Development program area within our Human Services Division .
AIR’s work to advance justice and public health is committed to transformative change that dismantles structural disparities. Our work spans prevention to intervention and reentry—and embeds community-based, restorative, developmentally appropriate, and culturally responsive approaches.
In support of this work, candidates will work across relevant content areas including:
- Violence prevention and intervention (e.g., community violence, child abuse and neglect)
- Root causes of violence and crime
- Community trust and police accountability
- Reimagining systems of public safety and justice
- Community restoration
- Racial and ethnic disparities in the justice and child welfare systems
- Social determinants of health
- Restorative justice
- Court reform (e.g., fines and fees, alternatives to incarceration)
AIR is seeking candidates with experience conducting impact, quasi-experimental, and/or implementation studies using quantitative or mixed data sources. Experience with participatory research designs is a plus. The researcher will provide project management support and task leadership for contract and grant research and evaluation projects. In this role, the researcher contributes to conceptualizing the vision for this work, serves as a key team member in implementing research studies and evaluations, manages their own work and/or the work of others to ensure the timely completion of tasks within budget, and adheres to high quality research and evaluation standards that meet client requirements. AIR is seeking a researcher who values diversity, equity, and inclusion. The ideal candidate is committed to a strengths-based perspective as well as mitigating the impacts of both personal and systemic biases in research. Candidates with relevant lived experience are encouraged to apply.
Candidates hired for the position may work remotely within the United States (U.S.) or from one of our U.S. office locations. This does not include U.S. territories.
Established in 1946, with headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, AIR is a nonpartisan, not-for-profit institution that conducts behavioral and social science research and delivers technical assistance to solve some of the most urgent challenges in the U.S. and around the world. We advance evidence in the areas of education, health, the workforce, human services, and international development to create a better, more equitable world.
AIR’s commitment to diversity goes beyond legal compliance to its full integration in our strategy, operations, and work environment. At AIR, we define diversity broadly, considering everyone’s unique life and community experiences. We believe that embracing diverse perspectives, abilities/disabilities, racial/ethnic and cultural backgrounds, styles, ages, genders, gender identities and expressions, education backgrounds, and life stories drives innovation and employee engagement. Learn more about AIR's Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Strategy and hear from our staff by clicking here .
The responsibilities for the position include:
- Manage day-to-day project work and operations in task lead roles and maintain positive and collaborative relationships.
- Lead tasks and projects using rigorous designs such as randomized control trials, regression discontinuity, and quasi-experimental designs.
- Provide guidance to project staff in terms of appropriate research methods, analysis, and reporting.
- Demonstrate cultural and linguistic competence and sensitivity in all interactions with colleagues, partners, and project participants.
- Conceptualize problems and identify questions in advancing public health and justice research and evaluation and collaborate in designing studies to address them (topics listed above)
- Contribute to the development of study designs, research questions, survey questionnaire development, aligned methods, analytic plans and execute relevant and responsive projects for the field.
- Analyze, interpret, and report on complex quantitative data using appropriate methods.
- Write reports and other documents that are clear, concise, and contribute to the field.
- Communicate study progress and findings.
- Communicate clearly with diverse partners and represent AIR in a professional manner.
- Write reports to describe and interpret findings for clients.
- Write proposals for Federal, state, foundation, and other clients.
- Actively pursue business through managing partner relationships and by staying abreast of the direction of the field.
Education, Knowledge, and Experience:
- PhD in related subject area (Economics, Statistics, Public Policy, Public Health, Human Development, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, or related field), or Master’s degree with a minmum of 4 years of relevant experience
- Experience designing rigorous research and evaluation studies including, randomized control trials, regression discontinuity, and quasi-experimental designs
- Experience managing large datasets, and experience with rigorous designs. Open to learning other software as required by different projects
- Experience working with data related to health, justice, or other human serving systems and ability to link data across multiple administrative sources (e.g., policing, probation, and hospitalization records)
- Experience managing complex data collections a plus but not required
- Experience in business development a plus but not required
- Strong analysis skills, including proficiency with an analytical software (e.g., Stata, R)
- Able to communicate effectively about methods and interpret findings collaboratively with technical and practitioner audiences
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to collobrate effectively with individuals at all levels and from diverse backgrounds
Strong communication skills with the ability to work effectively with others in a virtual work environment
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.
AIR adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo reference and background checks.
AIR’s Total Rewards Program , is designed to reward our staff competitively and motivate them to achieve our critical mission. This position offers an anticipated annual salary of $85,000 - $115,000. Salary offers are made based on internal equity within the institution and external equity with competitive markets. Please note this is the annual salary range for candidates that are based in the United States.
AIR maintains a drug-free work environment .
Fraudulent Job Scams Warning & Disclaimer
AIR is aware of individuals falsely presenting themselves as AIR representatives. Fraudulent job scams seek to extract sensitive information or money from victims. To protect yourself, please be aware that AIR recruitment will only email you from an “@air.org” domain. Please take extra caution while examining the email address, for example email@example.com is correct and firstname.lastname@example.org is not a legitimate AIR email address. If you are unsure of the legitimacy of a communication you have received, please reach out to [email protected] .
If you see a job scam, or lose money to one, report it to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at ReportFraud.ftc.gov . You can also report it to your state attorney general . Find out more about how to avoid scams at ftc.gov/scams .
Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Maryland, United States, about 17 hours ago
Posting Details Posting Details Position Number: 129138 Title: Post-Doctoral Associate Functional Title: Postdoctoral Researcher Category Status: 15-Fac.Non-Tenured,Continuing Con Applicant Search...
Faculty Research Assistant, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, United States, 8 days ago
Details Posted: 17-Feb-24 Location: MD Salary: Open Categories: Academic/Faculty Biological/Biomedical Sciences Internal Number: 494449 Application Instructions: Apply via Interfolio at: apply.in...
Doe Stp Office Of Policy, Office Of Energy Jobs Research And Analysis Fellowship Opportunity , U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), United States, about 11 hours ago
Organization U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Reference Code DOE-STP-OP-2024-0004 How to Apply Click on Apply below to start your application. This is a continuous posting. Applications will be rev...
Post Doctoral Associate, University of Maryland, United States, about 18 hours ago
Posting Details Posting Details Position Number: 129057 Title: Post-Doctoral Associate Functional Title: Post-Doctoral Associate Category Status: 15-Fac.Non-Tenured,Continuing Con Applicant Search...
Post Doctoral Associate, University of Maryland, United States, about 18 hours ago
Posting Details Posting Details Position Number: 120769 Title: Post-Doctoral Associate Functional Title: Post-Doctoral Associate Category Status: 15-Fac.Non-Tenured,Continuing Con Applicant Search...
Fda Fellowship In Development And Characterization Of A Phage Therapy To Decolonize Vancomycin Resistant Enterococci , Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research (CBER), United States, about 14 hours ago
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling-basis and this opportunity will remain open until filled. A research opportunity is currently available in the Office of Vaccine Research and Review (OVR...