Location: USA - MA - Boston
Internal Number: 63588BR
Reports to Athletic Facilities Operations Manager and/or Assistant Director of Athletic Facilities. Works as a key part of the team that provides and coordinates the maintenance of buildings and systems, (HVAC, MEP, etc.) to ensure smooth operation of the Harvard Athletics Complex which consists of 76+ acres of grounds, and 18 buildings encompassing over 1 million gross square feet. Responsibilities cover maintenance of stadiums, arenas, ice rink, outdoor competition venues, field grooming and painting, court maintenance, and pool operation.
Part-time/seasonal position: 25-hour/week from September 1 – April 30 with a seasonal leave from May 1 – August 31
- Part-time position will average 25 hours per week, with 2-3 set shifts, along with variable schedules to support Men's and Women's varsity ice hockey games.
- Seasonal position: 25 hours/week from September 1 – April 30 with a seasonal leave from May 1 – August 31
- Regular set shifts are Monday - Sunday (Afternoon/Evenings), Saturday/Sunday Shifts variable (Morning/Afternoon) with potential Sunday evening coverage.
- Men's & Women's Varsity ice hockey games offer variable shifts. (Games are typically Tuesday evenings, Friday afternoons/evenings, Saturday afternoons/evenings)
- High school diploma or equivalent, with a technical certification or a minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience in facilities or maintenance required.
- Experience with ice maintenance, operating Zamboni 552
- Experience in ice rink management.
- Experience with ice installation and removal.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Knowledge of Division I hockey game day set-up and operations.
- US Ice Rink Association (CIRM, CIT, or CRA) certification preferred.
- Familiarity with building automation and work request systems.
- Experience managing vendor/contractor relationships preferred.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to follow through on all assignments, required to prioritize departmental needs and execute plan to get all tasks accomplished in a timely manner.
- Professional presentation and attitude with focus on customer services and team mentality.
- Ability to work autonomously with strong time management.
- An ongoing willingness to acquire new skills and utilize technology to streamline processes and problem-solving is essential.
Certificates and Licenses
- Ongoing safety and technical training required.
- Must be able to perform all duties in a facilities environment that includes exposure to loud noises, extreme temperatures, inclement weather conditions, airborne particles, vibration, hazardous materials, stairs, ladders, confined spaces, heights, etc.
- Ability to lift 75 lbs. or more on a regular basis.
- Requires stooping, bending, climbing, reaching, lifting, and carrying, shoveling snow, or operating snow-removal equipment.
- Requires work from lifts, scaffolds, and tight spaces.
- May require use of personal protective equipment and clothing when appropriate.
- Job requires work in extreme environmental conditions, including extreme heat and cold, rain, and high levels of noise.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy: The health of our workforce is a priority for Harvard University. With that in mind, we strongly encourage all employees to be up-to-date on CDC-recommended vaccines.
Harvard is a highly selective liberal arts college whose mission is to educate citizens and citizen-leaders for our society. The College is a residential institution of nearly 7,000 undergraduates and is located in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Harvard is deeply committed to the intellectual, social and personal transformation of its undergraduates during their four years at Harvard.
The Department of Athletics offers 42 varsity programs for men and women, more than any other Division I school in the United States. We also offer extensive recreational and intramural programs.
Harvard employees have access to a competitive benefits package that includes multiple options for the health and well-being of our employees as well as ongoing professional development.
All formal offers will be made by FAS Human Resources. We regret that, due to the number of responses we typically receive, we may be unable to respond to phone calls or contact personally those applicants not selected for an interview.
We regret that we are unable to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
We actively seek and welcome applications from diverse candidates and from those with a demonstrable commitment to a more inclusive society.
BenefitsWe invite you to visit Harvard's Total Rewards website to learn more about our outstanding benefits package, which may include:
- Paid Time Off: 3-4 weeks of accrued vacation time per year (3 weeks for support staff and 4 weeks for administrative/professional staff), 12 accrued sick days per year, 12.5 holidays plus a Winter Recess in December/January, 3 personal days per year (prorated based on date of hire), and up to 12 weeks of paid leave for new parents who are primary care givers.
- Health and Welfare: Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, disability and life insurance programs, along with voluntary benefits. Most coverage begins as of your start date.
- Work/Life and Wellness: Child and elder/adult care resources including on campus childcare centers, Employee Assistance Program, and wellness programs related to stress management, nutrition, meditation, and more.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with contributions from 5% to 15% of eligible compensation, based on age and earnings with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive program including $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and reduced tuition through other participating Harvard graduate schools.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Program that provides 75% to 90% reimbursement up to $5,250 per calendar year for eligible courses taken at other accredited institutions.
- Professional Development: Programs and classes at little or no cost, including through the Harvard Center for Workplace Development and LinkedIn Learning.
- Commuting and Transportation: Various commuter options handled through the Parking Office, including discounted parking, half-priced public transportation passes and pre-tax transit passes, biking benefits, and more.
- Harvard Facilities Access, Discounts and Perks: Access to Harvard athletic and fitness facilities, libraries, campus events, credit union, and more, as well as discounts to various types of services (legal, financial, etc.) and cultural and leisure activities throughout metro-Boston.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Create a Job Alert for Similar Jobs
About Harvard University Faculty of Arts and Sciences
Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. The University, which is based in Cambridge and Boston, Massachusetts, has an enrollment of over 20,000 degree candidates, including undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. Harvard has more than 360,000 alumni around the world. The University has twelve degree-granting Schools in addition to the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, offering a truly global education. Established in 1636, Harvard is the oldest institution of higher education in the United States.
Connections working at Harvard University Faculty of Arts and Sciences
More Jobs from This Employer
Return to Search Results
Tenured Professor In Theoretical Quantum Science, Harvard University, United States, about 8 hours ago
Details Title Tenured Professor in Theoretical Quantum Science School Faculty of Arts and Sciences Department/Area Department of Physics, Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Harvard Quan...
Tenure Track Professor In Computer Science, Harvard University, United States, about 8 hours ago
Details Title Tenure-Track Professor in Computer Science School Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences Department/Area Computer Science Position Description The Harvard...
Tenure Track Professor In Quantum Science And Engineering , Harvard Quantum Initiative, United States, 30 days ago
TENURE-TRACK PROFESSOR IN QUANTUM SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING Harvard University Faculty of Arts and Sciences Harvard Quantum Initiative Cambridge, MA Position Description: The Harvard Quantum Initia...
Arborist, Northeastern University, United States, 1 day ago
About the Opportunity JOB SUMMARY Maintain the tree, shrub, and vine layers of the Northeastern Arboretum, on the Boston campus, through systematic pruning and integrated pest management as part o...
Assistant Professor Of Astronomy, Harvard University, United States, about 8 hours ago
Details Title Assistant Professor of Astronomy School Faculty of Arts and Sciences Department/Area Astronomy Position Description The Department of Astronomy seeks to appoint a tenure-track profes...
Tenure Track Or Tenured Professor In Applied Mathematics, Harvard University, United States, about 8 hours ago
Details Title Tenure-Track or Tenured Professor in Applied Mathematics School Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences Department/Area Applied Mathematics Position Descri...