Off-Campus: Washington, D. C.
Inspired by the legacy of Senator John McCain and his family, the McCain Institute is non-partisan and fights to advance freedom, prosperity, security, and human dignity for the benefit of all Americans and the world. Our work is anchored by three core beliefs: securing democracy and alliances, promoting human rights and protecting the vulnerable, and advancing character-driven leadership in our own communities and around the world.
The McCain Institute at Arizona State University seeks a full-time Program Coordinator to support its Democracy Programs. Working closely with and reporting to the Assistant Director of the Democracy Program, the Program Coordinator will provide administrative and logistical support to the Democracy Program, directly assisting in program implementation. Key areas of responsibility include event coordination and execution, grant support, business operations, administration, and external communications coordination in partnership with the Institute’s communications team. This position will collaborate will all members of the Democracy Program and support initiatives across the portfolio.
The Democracy Program at the McCain Institute elevates the importance of human rights and democracy in U.S. foreign policy and provides direct assistance to human rights activists facing persecution around the world.
This position is based in Washington, DC, and is eligible for a hybrid work schedule.
McCain Inst Intl Leadership
KNOWLEDGE ENTERPRISE DEV
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
Depends on experience
- Serve as the primary point of contact for internal and external event coordination.
- Coordinate logistics for all events, including staffing plan, catering, A/V, photographer and venue, RSVP tracking and management, etc.;
- Advise Democracy Program staff on potential speakers, panelists, experts, and attendees.
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to promote the McCain Institute Democracy Programing, including social media content, press releases, and other areas of external communications.
- Draft written materials related to program work, including but not limited to event announcements, invitations, and concept notes.
- Coordinate travel logistics for team members and speakers.
- Craft program and speaker briefs and preparatory materials for speakers, panelists, and experts.
- Develop, plan, and execute meetings, events, and publications for the Working Group Series.
- Write, solicit, and edit blog posts related to democracy and other related issues.
- Prepare budget proposals, recommendations, and approvals where appropriate.
- Assist in relationship management with partner organizations, including other non-profits, donors, and government stakeholders engaged in human rights and democracy, for collaboration on events and publications.
- Organize internal and external meetings – tasks include notifying attendees, managing logistics, drafting and distributing agendas, and taking notes, as needed.
- Coordinate the preparation of briefing materials for meetings and other Human Rights and Democracy Program and McCain Institute events.
- Coordinate projects and special assignments by establishing objectives, managing timelines, monitoring progress, and orchestrating the flow of team communication.
- Plan and prepare internal communications and external correspondence.
- Perform research and analyze and assist in the planning and preparation of events related to human rights and democracy efforts.
- Monitor logistics, scheduling, and participant communications for McCain Institute or Human Rights and Democracy meetings and conferences; and
- Other duties as requested to meet Democracy Program objectives.
Bachelor's degree in field appropriate to area of assignment AND two years administrative/coordinator program experience; OR, Six years of progressively responsible administrative/coordinator program experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of democracy and human rights
- Experience researching and writing about frontline democracy countries (Ukraine, Georgia, Syria, Venezuela, Russia)
- Evidence of effective writing and editing skills
- Evidence of effective communications skills
- Experience planning and executing events
- Experience in work that requires organizational skills and ability to multitask.
- Activities are primarily performed in a regular, climate-controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, standing, and walking.
- Visual acuity and manual dexterity associated with daily use of desktop computer; bending, stooping, reaching, and lifting up to 20 pounds.
- Ability to clearly communicate to perform essential duties—regular review of completed tasks.
For the eighth year in a row, ASU has been named the most innovative school in the nation, recognizing the university's culture of groundbreaking research and partnerships, as well as its commitment to helping students thrive in college and beyond. U.S. News and World Report has named ASU as the most innovative university all eight years the category has existed.
ASU Knowledge Enterprise advances research, innovation, strategic partnerships, entrepreneurship, and international development. Our success arises from solutions-focused, interdisciplinary research; an entrepreneurial approach that is embedded in every school and department; and a commitment to transform society in a positive way. To learn more about how Knowledge Enterprise is a place for your career to grow, visit https://research.asu.edu/about-us/careers .
At McCain Institute, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyway. We value your unique background and perspective, and you may be just the right candidate for this position or other roles on our team.
Working at ASU has additional perks and OUTSTANDING benefits, which include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; sick leave and holidays; ASU/UA/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to ASU recreation and cultural activities; and more. To estimate the value of your total compensation, please visit https://cfo.asu.edu/compensation-estimator .
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU PD at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources .
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Fingerprint Check Statement
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.
Professor Of Law And Governance, Karl-Franzens-University Graz, Austria, 23 days ago
11 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Karl-Franzens-University Graz Department Human Ressources Research Field Juridical sciences » Other Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Coun...
The Carter Center: Program Associate, Human Rights Program, Emory University, United States, about 4 hours ago
Emory University is a leading research university that fosters excellence and attracts world-class talent to innovate today and prepare leaders for the future. We welcome candidates who can contri...
Open Rank Faculty Position In General Education In The Area Of Modern Chinese History, THE CHINESE UNIVERSITY OF HONG KONG - SHENZHEN, China, 20 days ago
13 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company THE CHINESE UNIVERSITY OF HONG KONG - SHENZHEN Research Field History Philosophy Religious sciences Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) F...
Open Rank Faculty Position In English Studies Programme, THE CHINESE UNIVERSITY OF HONG KONG - SHENZHEN, United Kingdom, 20 days ago
The School of Humanities and Social Science invites applications and nominations for: Open Rank Faculty Position in English Studies Programme (Ref.AC2023/030/01) Professor/Associate Professor/Assi...
Open Rank Faculty Position In General Education In The Areas Of Humanities And Social Science, THE CHINESE UNIVERSITY OF HONG KONG - SHENZHEN, China, 20 days ago
13 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company THE CHINESE UNIVERSITY OF HONG KONG - SHENZHEN Research Field History Philosophy Religious sciences Language sciences Literature Sociology Ethics i...
Open Rank Faculty Positions In Translation And Interpreting, THE CHINESE UNIVERSITY OF HONG KONG - SHENZHEN, China, 18 days ago
17 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company THE CHINESE UNIVERSITY OF HONG KONG - SHENZHEN Research Field Language sciences Literature Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) First Stag...