The Program Assistant 3 coordinates administrative processes and prioritizes, directs, and responds to business matters involving administrative functions associated with education, research, and/or operations. Creates and maintains associated documents, spreadsheets, databases, meetings, special events, etc. and alerts supervisor of critical issues and upcoming events.
Oversees the logistics of running the office; Serves as the face of the depa1tment, interacting with students, staff, faculty, and other members of the public. Job duties include general clerical support; using word processing, spreadsheet, database &/or presentation software to draft reports, letters, cha1ts, graphs, etc.; screening calls & visitors; preparing agendas & making arrangements, including travel, for meetings & special events; managing supervisor's calendar &/or department calendar; & maintaining the departmental website.
Attendance at some evening events is required.
Documents & Databases
- Independently responds to and composes correspondence.
- Creates and maintains standard spreadsheets and/or databases.
- Prepares queries, reports, statistics, tables, charts, etc. based on information compiled from various sources.
- Determines format, elements, trends, etc.
- Maintains websites and/or biogs.
- Creates new web pages and/or updates standard information/data within the application's content management program.
- Processes accounts payables &/or receivables.
- Verifies income &/or expense.
- Resolves discrepancies & over/under budget problems.
- Enters, tracks, & maintains documentation & logs of financial transactions.
- Ensures that charges have posted to appropriate accounts.
- Assists with reconciliation of accounts.
- Reviews budget statements.
- Approves appropriate expenses, purchases and reimbursements per budget.
- Creates and maintains financial records.
- Prepares forms.
- Verifies appropriateness and accuracy of charges.
- Processes and reconciles expenses, accounting transfers, and/or appropriation changes.
- Updates financial transaction spreadsheets and databases.
- Generates summary reports and statistics.
- Processes routine payroll actions.
- Maintains accounting balances for grants/contracts.
- Pays all bills and order supplies.
- Initiates full range of HR actions such as new employee dept orientation.
- Resolves hiring, termination, etc. processing problems.
- Drafts job descriptions.
- Explains HR procedures.
- Manages supervisors and/or dept calendar.
- Manages registration and travel.
- Organizes and coordinates events which may include creating timelines.
- Collects agenda items and background materials.
- Creates registrant profiles.
- Coordinates complex itineraries involving domestic and/or international travel, etc.
- Prepares annual event, conference and/or meeting budget.
- Verifies invoices and expense reports; and/or reconciles to budget.
- Coordinates events which may include scheduling rooms &/or guest speaker & arranging for routine materials, technology & refreshments.
- Manage all logistics and administrative details of Center programs.
- Maintain database of student progress on the ULP certificate path, tracking and updating students at all stages of certificate completion.
- Coordinates with Registrar on administration of awarding certificate to students who have fulfilled requirements for completion.
- Provide staff support for the Center's leadership portal, including supporting current users through training, developing training materials, and responding to requests for assistance in a timely manner; working with others to increase the portal's usage; monitoring user progress and assisting users to complete and submit materials; performing administrative functions for the portal; identifying problems with the user experience, suggesting solutions, and tracking progress of enhancement priorities and bug fixes; reporting any security concerns or breaches; ensuring that data is shared and available, and that data sharing is consistent with university and center policies.
- Serve as point of first contact for the Center.
- Manage communication with students and others, including coordinating all meetings, answering main CFL phone line, answering all CFL e-mail, and supporting marketing programs around campus. Provides information via phone, e-mail, mail, etc.
- Provides a variety of administrative support for student services such as recruitment; admissions; applications; curriculum; program evaluation.
- Recommends alternatives for course requirements.
- Recommends options for participation in Center programs.
- Reviews administrative processes and procedures regarding student services and recommends changes.
- Coordinates work of receptionists, programs assts, temporary/ work-study students, secretaries, research/ clerical assts, intern, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications:
- A high school diploma or equivalent required.
- 4 years of administrative support or other relevant experience required.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Intermediate knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, email, and database software programs is required.
- Being helpful, respectful, approachable and team oriented, building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Communicates effectively one-to-one, in small groups and in public speaking contexts; writes precise, well-organized emails, letters and proposals while using appropriate vocabulary and grammar.
- Demonstrates logic, rationality and objectivity; shows common sense; uses all available
- information to make educated decisions.
- Formulates realistic plans and contingencies and establishes appropriate measurements of anticipated results. Seeks to build collaboration by encouraging trust, mutual respect and shared purpose among various participants in an engagement.
- Demonstrated experience in customer service-oriented position or role. Ability to work
- independently when not working as part of the team.
- Demonstrates initiative in anticipating and resolving departmental needs.
- Works independently to follow through and ensure arrangements have been made to meet departmental needs.
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.