Harvard Medical School
The Producer for the Office for External Education’s (OEE) Product Development group contributes to a growing portfolio of educational products and programs designed for OEE's target markets of corporate learners, health care professionals, and the general public. The Producer will leverage expertise in camera operation, sound recording, lighting, and the latest technologies and best practices in video production. They will combine this experience with superb storytelling and pedagogic capabilities to bring healthcare education to learners in meaningful and memorable ways. The Producer should feel comfortable working in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment, and partnering closely with world-class faculty, editors, illustrators, animators, and curriculum experts to deliver video in compliance with strategic deadlines. This position reports to the Associate Director, Video Production within the highly collaborative and cross-disciplinary Product Development Team.
Expertise in video pre-production and production, media management, and visual communication is crucial. Curiosity, creativity, initiative, and absolute attention to detail are a must, along with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to give and receive feedback graciously. An ability to remain mature, professional, and calm even in stressful situations is required.
A successful candidate will be interested in how people learn and will possess a drive to support learning objectives with engaging media. A background in science is desired but not required, and a commitment to excellence in educational media is expected.
- Oversee pre-production of on-site and studio filming, voiceover sessions, and remote recordings.
- Advise on production approaches, including identifying new modalities and creative opportunities.
- Coordinate scheduling for recordings with internal and external stakeholders.
- Scout filming locations, reserve studio spaces, and secure on-location permissions.
- Attend pre-production meetings and calls with project stakeholders.
- Contract vendors for filming and manage related logistics.
- Assist in the creation of shot-lists, scripts, outlines, and filming schedules.
- Develop training materials for subjects and internal partners including tutorials and overviews of best practices.
- Coordinate shipping of remote-production equipment.
- Account for production timelines in scheduling and communicate anticipated risks.
- Attend on-site film recordings, acting as point-of-contact between any vendors, subjects, and location staff.
- Attend studio-filming sessions, overseeing videographers, and acting as the liaison for on-camera subjects.
- Direct recordings to ensure production meets project objectives and vision.
- Film on-site and in-studio when necessary, using OEE video equipment.
- Record audio narration sessions in the OEE sound studio.
- Direct remote-recording sessions, including interviews with external participants, marketing testimonials, and segments with internal team members.
- Direct and coach faculty in studio and audio recordings.
- Secure media releases for recorded subjects, and maintain archive of permissions.
- Assist in the transfer of recordings to the post-production team, including file delivery and providing documentation of footage.
Equipment and studio management:
- Manage OEE equipment including cameras, microphones, audio recorders, lighting, teleprompters, remote filming kits and tablets.
- Assist in managing the OEE studios; including coordinating bookings and organizing spaces and equipment storage.
- Assist in identifying equipment or software needs and workflow improvements.
- Assist the post-production team with video and audio editing on occasion as needed.
- Maintain knowledge of best practices in production and developments in educational media.
Bachelor’s degree with 5+ years of experience in video production environments.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Demonstrated ability to produce and direct video shoots
- Proven experience with audio and video post-production
- Outstanding professional judgment and clear, concise communication skills both verbally and in writing
- A passion for creating educational materials
- A detailed understanding of modern camera, audio, and lighting equipment and production techniques
- Strong creative storytelling skills and the ability to communicate those ideas via storyboards, scripts, and pitches
- A keen eye for video and an ability to make aesthetic and narrative judgments
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Superb professionalism and diplomacy, even in tense situations
- Ability to work as a self-starter, manage multiple projects, and consistently deliver high quality media
- An organized, proactive nature and a can-do attitude
- Experience filming in health care environments preferred
- Experience creating and delivering video for social media preferred
- Experience with Resolve a plus
- Submit a portfolio demonstrating your outstanding production capabilities. Links to examples of your work, including examples of didactic content, are expected with your application. Please include a cover letter.
This position is based in Boston and some in-person on-campus work will be required, and flexible/remote work is an option. Any remote work must be performed in a state in which Harvard is registered to do business (CA*, CT, MA, MD, ME, NH, NY, RI, and VT). Individual flexible and remote work options for this role will be discussed during the interview process. *Note: Harvard employees working in California must be exempt.
The University requires all Harvard community members to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and remain up to date with COVID-19 vaccine boosters, as detailed in Harvard’s Vaccine & Booster Requirements . Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement, exemptions, and verification of vaccination status may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/ .
Please note that we are currently conducting a majority of interviews and onboarding remotely and virtually. We appreciate your understanding.
Harvard University offers an outstanding benefits package including:
- Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, incredibly affordable classes directly at the Harvard Extension School, and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complementary health services.
- Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events, and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
The Harvard Medical School is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
USA - MA - Boston
CM0657 Public/Media Rltn Ofr III
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
We are committed to cultivating an inclusive workplace culture of faculty, staff, and students with diverse backgrounds, styles, abilities, and motivations. We appreciate and leverage the capabilities, insights, and ideas of all individuals. Harvard Medical School Mission and Community Values
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Video Systems Administrator, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States, about 6 hours ago
Information on MIT’s COVID-19 vaccination requirement can be found at the bottom of this posting. VIDEO SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR, Office of the Vice President for Research, to perform administrative ...
Digital Learning Designer, School Of Public Health, Education (22500400481109), Boston University, United States, about 18 hours ago
As part of the School of Public Health Lifelong Learning team, the Digital Learning Designer will collaborate with faculty, subject matter experts, digital media producers and others to help desig...
Newsroom Fellow, Wbur News And Programming (22500545911104), Boston University, United States, about 17 hours ago
The WBUR Newsroom Fellowship is a yearlong program for journalists eager to pursue a career in public media. Applicants should be recent graduates or early-career journalists who are ambitious, ho...
Program Manager, Consortium For Graduate Studies In Gender, Culture, Women, And Sexuality, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States, about 6 hours ago
Information on MIT’s COVID-19 vaccination requirement can be found at the bottom of this posting. PROGRAM MANAGER, School of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences (SHASS)-Consortium for Graduate S...
Educational Research Scientist, Harvard University, United States, about 24 hours ago
Educational Research Scientist Job Summary Harvard University's Math Department is working to improve mathematics curricula by building experiences that embrace mathematical modeling, empower stud...
Tenured Professor In Terrestrial Ecology, Harvard University Department of Organismic and Evolutionary Biology, United States, 3 days ago
TENURED PROFESSOR IN TERRESTRIAL ECOLOGY Harvard University Faculty of Arts and Sciences Department of Department of Organismic and Evolutionary Biology Position Description: The Department of Or...