With 24.2 MW of installed on-site solar generation capacity, which is more than that in place for many large cities, Arizona State University’s commitment to solar is compelling. The Solar Power Lab (SPL) was established in 2009, and, from the beginning, was designed with industrial compatibility in mind. With the culmination of the successful, ten-year NSF- and DOE-sponsored QESST (Quantum Energy and Sustainable Solar Technologies) Engineering Research Center (ERC), SPL transitioned in 2021 to ASU’s Knowledge Enterprise as the Solar Fab (SF) Core. Accordingly, the Solar Fab is seeking a Process Engineer to join the team. This person's responsibilities will be split roughly as 50% process sustaining for a silicon heterojunction solar cell flow and 50% for Core-related activities including process tool maintenance, process development and characterization, training cleanroom users on process tool operation, developing and maintaining training materials, performing tool and process monitoring and reporting the same, writing tool operation procedures, and performing chemical handling. Other duties may be assigned. At least five years of work experience in semiconductor and/or solar processing is required. This work experience must be in both R&D and production facilities. Prior work experience must include direct responsibilities in processes that involve thin film deposition (sputtering, evaporation, PECVD), patterning (screen printing, photolithography), etch (wet and dry), and thermal processing (RTA, furnace).
This position will report to the Director of Operations in the Solar Fab facility located at Arizona State University’s MacroTechnology Works building.
Background on the Solar Fab at Arizona State University:
Technology thrusts are selected to reinforce industrial relevance both now and in the future. Considering solely silicon technology (III-V solar cells are also studied), Solar Fab has all the necessary processing equipment for raw silicon to serve as the input, and completed, characterized, and tested solar cells generated as the output. For reliability testing and educational purposes, ASU's Solar Fab also fabricates modules, usually single-cell or 2x2 format. Solar Fab is housed in the MacroTechnology Works building in the ASU Research Park and consists of 6,370 square feet of class 100/1000 cleanroom space and 2,703 square feet of non-cleanroom H6 space and dry labs. Incorporated in the lab are over 25 pieces of major equipment (e.g., wet processing, furnaces, RTA, PECVD, sputtering tools, evaporators, screen printing, MBE, and soon-to-be photolithography, etc.) and the concomitant characterization tools (I-V testers, PL, EL, QE, lifetime testers, LIT, etc.).
Engineering & Tech Support
KNOWLEDGE ENTERPRISE DEV
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
$64,018 - $88,300 per year; DOE
- The primary job responsibilities will be split roughly as 50% process sustaining for a silicon heterojunction solar cell flow and 50% for Core-related activities including process tool maintenance, process development and characterization, training cleanroom users on process tool operation, developing and maintaining training materials, performing tool and process monitoring and reporting the same, writing tool operation procedures, and performing chemical handling.
- The Process Engineer should be skilled in microelectronic device fabrication and equipment maintenance as this is a duty of the position.
- Serve as tool owner on multiple pieces of equipment -- responsible for: 1) learning and understanding all aspects of a tool; 2) defining a baseline process; 3) writing the tool SOP; 4) maintaining the tool, including SPC if applicable; 5) training future tool users; 6) support safety initiatives; and 7) interface with vendors.
- They must be effective in working with Solar Fab team members, affiliated faculty members, and cleanroom users to perform duties assigned.
Bachelors degree in engineering or related field and five (5) years of engineering or related experience or any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Evidence of an Associate degree in Physics, Chemical, Materials, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering is desired.
- Demonstrated knowledge in the use of analytical equipment such as profilometers, ellipsometers, four-point-probes, and SEMs.
- Demonstrated knowledge with process development and characterization through the usage of Design of Experiments, SPC, and the associated data analysis tools is required.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of vacuum systems, mechanical, and electro-mechanical systems.
- Evidence of a friendly disposition to interface with lab customers (students, staff, faculty, and external entities) as appropriate to ensure project goals are realized.
- Willingness to mentor and/or train customers on various facets related to solar -- technical nuances, tool operation, characterization, etc.
- Experience working well in a team and to operate independently when needed
- Evidence of effective communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Evidence in work that requires detail oriented, flexible, self-motivated, excellent troubleshooting skills
- Experience in writing scientific documents (e.g., patent applications and reports)
- The position is first shift Monday through Friday. Occasional off shift work may be required to handle emergencies within the Solar Fab.
- Activities will be performed in an environmentally controlled office setting, as well as the various spaces that constitute the Solar Fab.
- There may be extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and manipulating a computer mouse; it will also be required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work functions.
- For the class 100/1000 cleanroom space, it will be necessary to wear personal protective equipment including long pants, closed-toed shoes, shoe covers, a lab coat, gloves, and safety glasses.
- Some activities will entail the need for frequent bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds.
For the eighth year in a row, ASU has been named the most innovative school in the nation, recognizing the university's culture of groundbreaking research and partnerships, as well as its commitment to helping students thrive in college and beyond. U.S. News and World Report has named ASU as the most innovative university all eight years the category has existed.
ASU Knowledge Enterprise advances research, innovation, strategic partnerships, entrepreneurship, and international development. Our success arises from solutions-focused, interdisciplinary research; an entrepreneurial approach that is embedded in every school and department; and a commitment to transform society in a positive way. To learn more about how Knowledge Enterprise is a place for your career to grow, visit https://research.asu.edu/about-us/careers.
At the Solar Fab, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyway. We value your unique background and perspective, and you may be just the right candidate for this position or other roles on our team.
Working at ASU has additional perks and OUTSTANDING benefits, which include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; sick leave and holidays; ASU/UA/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to ASU recreation and cultural activities; and more. To estimate the value of your total compensation, please visit https://cfo.asu.edu/compensation-estimator .
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources .
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume & Cover Letter should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
Technical Demonstrator, Fab Lab Wgtn, Massey University, New Zealand, 14 days ago
School of Design College of Creative Arts Wellington CCA_SD_341_03/23 Professional Grade 5 52732 - 74509 College of Creative Arts Term length: ongoing Hours of work: part-time Position Overview Ap...
Technician B Cell Analysis, Sanquin Blood Supply Foundation (Sanquin), Netherlands, 1 day ago
The position: The technician will support a post-doc who will study the modulatory effect of tolDC on human B cells (naïve and memory) in in vitro assays. Since B cell responses in vivocan either ...
Analyst Stem Cell Platform, Leiden University, Netherlands, about 2 hours ago
Apply now The Faculty of Science, Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research (LACDR) is looking for an Analyst - Stem cell platform Project description The Leiden Academic Center for Drug Research (...
Research Associate (Stem Cell Biomanufacturing And Biomaterials), McGill University, Canada, 6 days ago
Please refer to the How to Apply for a Job (for External Candidates) job aid for instructions on how to apply. If you are an active McGill employee (ie: currently in an active contract or positio...
Doctoral Student In Fuel Cells, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden, about 21 hours ago
Project description Third-cycle subject: Chemical engineering The project will contribute to new and more efficient fuel cells and fuel cell systems for the transport sector. Vehicles powered by f...
Bioinformatician For The Single Cell Omics Platform, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 6 days ago
Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences University of Copenhagen We are seeking a bioinformatician to strengthen our abilities to draw ro...