Job TitlePrivacy Specialist
AgencyTexas A&M University
DepartmentUniversity Risk And Compliance
Proposed Minimum Salary
Proposed Minimum Salary$4,617.67 monthly
Job LocationCollege Station, Texas
Texas A&M University is committed to enriching the learning and working environment by promoting a culture that respects all perspectives, talents & identities. Embracing varying opinions and perspectives strengthens our core values which are: Respect, Excellence, Leadership, Loyalty, Integrity, and Selfless Service.
Who we are
Texas A&M University relies on all faculty, staff, and students to be knowledgeable of compliance obligations and the ethical behavior associated with their respective roles. The Office of Risk, Ethics, and Compliance (OREC) provides leadership and university-wide services that strengthen accountability, mitigate significant risks, and reduce the consequences of non-compliance with federal and state laws. To learn more, please visit our website at: https://orec.tamu.edu/
Who we want
The Privacy Specialist plays a critical role in creating a culture of privacy that is central to the day-to-day function of the University. Helps foster this culture of privacy to help ensure the privacy and safety of students, faculty, staff, patients, and all those whose lives are touched by Texas A&M University, Texas A&M Engineering Experiment Station (TEES) and AgriLife. This role is responsible for supporting and implementing all aspects of the global data protection compliance strategy and advising on privacy matters surrounding data protection.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Five years of information security, privacy, compliance, risk management experience or comparable experience. Experience communicating with a wide range of internal stakeholders and experience assessing risk and compliance against internal policies and procedures.
Required Licenses and Certifications:
- Candidate will be expected to either have one of the following certifications, or obtain one within an 18 month period: relevant privacy or security certifications (CIPP-US, CIPP-EU, CRISC, CISSP, CISM).
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to establish rapport and communicate with students, faculty, and staff from various cultural, social, educational and economic backgrounds.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively and interact effectively with a wide array of faculty, staff, students, community members, and other third parties.
- Skilled in communicating with tact, diplomacy, discretion, and professionalism.
- Skilled is organizing, prioritizing, and managing multiple tasks and records in a high volume, fast-paced environment with attention to detail, flexibility, and appropriate discretion.
- Ability to objectively gather and record relevant information into a well-organized file.
- Knowledge of relevant state and federal civil rights laws.
- Ability to adapt to constantly changing legal landscape.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality with private or sensitive information.
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications with an emphasis on Word, excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and manage multiple tasks and data in a high volume, fast-paced environment with accuracy, attention to detail, flexibility, confidentiality, empathy, positivity, and compassion.
- Demonstrated commitment to TAMU core values and ability to work effectively with individuals from all backgrounds, in support of a professional and welcoming environment.
- Knowledge of best practices in higher education compliance with respect to effectively addressing discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.
- Ability to act independently, take initiative, and exercise sound judgment.
- Ability to multi-task and work cooperatively with others.
- Monitor known and emerging risks, measure internal control effectiveness, and develop and own action items to remediate identified risk issues.
- Inventory risk and compliance obligations in a governance, risk, and compliance system framework.
- Develop deep knowledge of privacy obligations and data privacy policies and solutions utilized by Texas A&M University.
- Consult on the development of Texas A&M University requirements for new system implementations and enhancements.
- Monitor Privacy compliance with federal, state, international, and TAMUS regulatory standards, including, but not limited to, laws, statutes, codes, policies, procedures, rules, and directives, as well as compliance with internal and external policies and procedures.
- Identify potential areas of compliance vulnerability and develop a plan of action to bring any non-compliant areas into compliance.
- Interpret departmental privacy policies, rules, and regulations and ensure they are followed.
- Respond to questions and troubleshoot issues.
- Oversee monitoring of policies, procedures, and rules in relation to Privacy developments.
- Serve as a resource for the university community to ensure research meets the highest standards of respect and confidentiality.
- Ensure the proper use and disclosure of such information in accordance with federal, state, and international laws as well as TAMU System policies.
- Monitors, develops, executes, and facilitates compliance program with federal, state, international, and Texas A&M University System (TAMUS) regulatory and governing standards, including but not limited to laws, regulations, statutes, codes, policies, procedures, rules, and directives, as well as compliance with internal and external policies and procedures.
- Protect the privacy of students, patients, and employees by ensuring the safeguarding of confidential information.
- Consult and collaborates with legal, research, benefits, IT, information security, and HR policy, vendor, and application owners to ensure that sound protocols are in place to mitigate privacy risks in reviewing contracts and or research applications.
- Make known and secure commitment for remediation and risk management strategies.
- Create and execute project plans to achieve the defined deliverables.
- Prepare supporting documentation such as student, faculty and staff communications, FAQs, and standard operating policies.
- Draft written narratives to communicate obligations, risk analyses, and recommendations.
- Ensures timely and accurate documentation of all reports and University responses.
- Promotes an environment that fosters inclusive relationships and creates unbiased opportunities for contributions through ideas, words, and actions that uphold our values.
- Promote a culture of privacy on campus and in all TAMU-affiliated facilities.
- Manage other risk and compliance related projects as needs arise.
- Develop, establish, and maintain an effective and broad-based privacy compliance program based upon ethical conduct and a commitment to compliance with all applicable laws, policies, rules, and procedures.
- Coordinate internal and/or external audits, including providing information requested, coordinating responses, planning and coordinating pre-audits and follow-up audits.
- Formulate, maintain, and monitor a database of all rules and procedures required by the TAMUS and any additional rules and procedures needed for operations as determined by administration.
- Develop and assess programs.
- Respond to apparent violations of policies, procedures, or other regulatory standards by recommending and participating in investigative procedures.
- Conduct investigations of potential violations of relevant privacy laws and University Rules.
- Provide status updates to the parties throughout the selected complaint resolution process (formal or informal).
- Maintains confidentiality to the extent allowed by federal regulations, state laws and university policies.
- Delivers training and education programs for the university community.
- Represents the department at special events, community functions, and University trainings.
- Offer Guidance to the University community to help ensure the privacy of those under our care.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.
Tfs Program Coordinator I Aviation, Texas A&M Forest Service, United States, about 8 hours ago
Job Title TFS Program Coordinator I - Aviation Agency Texas A&M Forest Service Department Aviation Proposed Minimum Salary $4,916.67 monthly Job Location College Station, Texas Job Type Staff Job ...
Fleet Specialist I, Texas A&M Forest Service, United States, about 7 hours ago
Job Title Fleet Specialist I Agency Texas A&M Forest Service Department Field Operations Proposed Minimum Salary $21.00 hourly Job Location College Station, Texas Job Type Staff Job Description Un...
Tfs Program Coordinator I Ucf Partnership, Texas A&M Forest Service, United States, about 8 hours ago
Job Title TFS Program Coordinator I - UCF Partnership Agency Texas A&M Forest Service Department Urban Forestry Proposed Minimum Salary $4,916.67 monthly Job Location College Station, Texas Job Ty...
Executive Director Of Finance, Texas A&m Engineering, United States, about 23 hours ago
Job Title Executive Director of Finance Agency Texas A&M Engineering Department Epo Asst. Dean For Finance Proposed Minimum Salary Commensurate Job Location College Station, Texas Job Type Staff J...
Research Associate, Texas A&m Engineering, United States, 19 days ago
Job Title Research Associate Agency Texas A&M Engineering Department Biomedical Engineering Proposed Minimum Salary Commensurate Job Location College Station, Texas Job Type Staff Job Description ...
Proposal Administrator I, TTI, United States, about 8 hours ago
Job Title Proposal Administrator I Agency Texas A&M Transportation Institute Department Research Development Office Proposed Minimum Salary Commensurate Job Location Bryan, Texas Job Type Staff Jo...