As a member of the HMX team in the Office for Online Learning, the Principal Software Engineer will have an opportunity to make a difference in shaping an innovative educational experience. This role oversees the technical aspects of the delivery of HMX's innovative, high-quality online educational modules (see onlinelearning.hms.harvard.edu/hmx).
The Principal Software Engineer is responsible for the development and delivery of the HMX online learning experience, overseeing all aspects of HMX's Open edX online education platform to ensure that the project plan, schedules, feature set and quality standards are met. Reporting to the Faculty Director of HMX, the Principal Software Engineer will write platform code and work closely with the curriculum development and media leads and with external technology vendors.
As a member of a small team in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, the ideal candidate should feel comfortable both coding and working closely with tech-savvy, forward-thinking colleagues to conceptualize, find, develop, and deliver optimal technology solutions to support learning. Curiosity, creativity, and initiative are a must, along with a desire to develop superior educational products and services that effectively contribute to online learning and engagement. Strong Python experience is a requirement; experience with the Open edX platform is a plus.
Applicants should include links to their code at GitHub or another repository hosting service, as well as a cover letter describing why this position interests them and how it fits their experience and interests.
As Principal Software Engineer, you will be responsible for:
- Leading all aspects of development on an Open edX based learning platform
- Contributing as a hands-on developer, including leading the writing of software in support of all platform components
- Serving as the main point of contact for external contractors
- Working with HMS Online Learning leadership to define product features and roadmap for courses
- Working closely with the content/pedagogy and media teams to enable creation and delivery of world-class course content, as well as back-end workflow
- Maintaining HMX platform configuration, security, data backup, code and documentation in an effective and timely fashion
- Installing, configuring and maintaining systems/stacks in support of HMX development projects, primarily on AWS
- Working across the project team to identify options and opportunities for leveraging of third party applications and services, when required
- Collaborating with the operations, content, and media teams to respond to user feedback and prioritize new feature requests
- Developing new interactive educational tools, for example for Xblocks implementing innovative assessment types for the Open edX platform, including managing the associated technology and platform requirements
- Designing and building or adapting technology workflows and solutions for collecting data from the online platform and performing data analysis
- Overseeing design and development of dashboard/visualizations for learning analytics
- Overseeing a small internal team as well as contractors
Salary Grade: 059
Union: 00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Front End Software Engineer, Ed X Business Engineering Team , Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States, 2 days ago
Job Description FRONT END SOFTWARE ENGINEER, edX-Business Engineering Team, to join a team supporting businesses that provide high-quality education to their workforces at scale. Will serve as fr...
Software Team Lead , Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States, about 19 hours ago
Job Description SOFTWARE TEAM LEAD, edX, to join the business engineering team in designing and building new technology for edX’s open source learning platform. The work will be used in productio...
Manager, Analytics And Business Intelligence , Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States, about 19 hours ago
Job Description MANAGER, ANALYTICS AND BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE, edX, to lead edX data analytics vision and practice. Will work all functions at edX to develop actionable insights that improve market...
Mechanical Engineering Technical Associate I , Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States, about 19 hours ago
Job Description MECHANICAL ENGINEERING TECHNICAL ASSOCIATE I, Biological Engineering, to join the Hardware Innovation Team--reporting to David Trumper and working closely with Continuum (an engine...
Program Administrator, Micro Masters Program, Mit Open Learning , Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States, 2 days ago
Job Description PROGRAM ADMINISTRATOR, MICROMASTERS PROGRAM, MIT OPEN LEARNING, Office of Digital Learning (ODL), to coordinate concurrent, complex, and highly impactful projects as part of a team...
Project Manager, Marketing & Communications, Interactive Design, Boston University, United States, 1 day ago
PROJECT MANAGER, Marketing & Communications, Interactive Design Tracking Code 5144/J1317 Job Description Boston University's Interactive Design division is looking for a talented, smart project ma...