We are seeking a qualified and motivated postdoctoral researcher to develop, evaluate, and advance novel strategies to manage and treat wastewater generated by oil and gas production. The successful applicants will integrate experimental results into process models with techno-economic analysis (TEA) and life cycle assessment (LCA) under uncertainty. The postdoc will be in Dr. Peltier’s research group and will collaborate with a strong cohort of faculty and graduate students in from the University of Kansas and West Virginia University.
50%-Perform research for the purpose of enhancing and developing novel technologies or management strategies to address the treatment, recovery and reuse of water generated by oil and gas production. Participate in planning, designing and conducting highly technical and complex research projects under the direction of a faculty supervisor.
20%-Analyze and evaluate research data and provide interpretations.
10%- Help to supervise graduate or undergraduate students conducting related research projects.
10%- Contribute to the development, preparation and submission of externally funded proposals related to the research program.
5%- Search literature, utilizing all available resources, including electronic, regarding new methodologies for improved oil and water recovery, and design experiments accordingly.
5%-Contribute to the development of research documentation for publication and/or prepare technical reports, papers and/or records.
1. PhD in Chemical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Chemistry or a closely related field.
2. Appropriate modeling and analytical skills as evidenced by education and/or related work experiences.
Note: To be appointed at the Postdoctoral Researcher title, it is necessary to have the PhD conferred at the time of hire. Appointments made without a diploma or certified transcript indicating an earned doctorate are conditional hires and are appointed on an interim basis not to exceed 6-months. Upon verification of degree the appointment will be extended to its full duration.
1. Academic or industrial lab experience in one or more of the following areas: a.) treatment or modeling of high-salinity waters/wastewaters; b.) electrochemistry applications in water treatment c.) membrane, ion-exchange or thermal treatment processes for water/wastewater treatment d.) experience with unit process design, modeling, and simulation.
2. Demonstrated ability to work successfully as part of a collaborative research effort.
3. Experience in lab management
4. Excellent organizational skills
5. Effective verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
Contact Information to Applicants
Dr. Ted Peltier
Additional Candidate Instruction
- A complete application consists of: Online application, Cover Letter, Current CV, List of three references.
- Application review begins October 30, 2019 and will continue until a pool of qualified applicants is received.
Advertised Salary Range
Application Review Begins
Anticipated Start Date
Limited Term End Date
University of Kansas - Lawrence
U-Unclassified Professional Staff
Conditions of Employment
Contingent on Funding, Limited Term
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university's programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by university policy. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies and are the Title IX coordinators for their respective campuses: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity & Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 West Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS 66045, 785-864-6414, 711 TTY 9for the Lawrence, Edwards, Parsons, Yoder, and Topeka campuses); Director, Equal Opportunity Office, Mail Stop 7004, 4330 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Fairway, KS 66205, 913-588-8011, 711 TTY (for the Wichita, Salina, and Kansas City, Kansas medical center campuses).