Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to work in the Micro & Nano Technology Section (MNTS). You will collaborate with a team of engineers and scientists to complete research and development projects on selected topics/areas within micro/nano-fabrication processes, covering dielectrics, semiconductors, ceramics and metals for optical spectroscopy, chem-bio sensing, and data processing in harsh environments exploiting optical microdevices and integrated photonics/plasmonics. This position is in the Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
- Conduct research in and development of one or more of the following areas: novel technologies in the context of materials for optical micro and nanoresonators, optical IR and Raman enhanced micro and nano-sensors for harsh environments, functional metamaterials and thin films coatings for detection and flat optics, and other optical and electronic devices.
- Fabricate and characterize designed materials, devices and systems to validate the theory.
- Simulate optical response and propagation in a variety of semiconductor materials and devices.
- Contribute to and actively participate in the conception, design, and execution of research to address defined problems.
- Organize, analyze, and present data from research.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent PhD in Optical Engineering, Applied Science, or related field.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: micro-optics, microresonators, photonics, plasmonic, IR and Raman spectroscopy, semiconductor devices, optical characterization techniques (UV-VIS spectroscopy, refractometry, ellipsometry, optical alignment, loss characterization), software for test I/O controls, image processing and data reduction (Labview, Matlab, multivariate statistical analysis), optical modeling techniques/software (like COMSOL, RSOFT, LUMERICAL, etc.), experiment design, data acquisition, programming, and device characterization.
- Knowledge of semiconductor, ceramics and dielectric fabrication processes (lithography, sputtering, e-beam deposition, thermal evaporation, lapping and polishing, wet and dry etching techniques, thin film and nanoparticles synthesis and deposition, nanofabrication, nanostructuring, e-beam writing) and diagnostics (AFM, SEM, XPS, EDX, SIMS).
- Ability to develop independent research projects as demonstrated through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Initiative and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a one year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are recent PhDs within five years of the month of the degree award at time of hire date.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Staff Research Associate Ii, University of California Office of the President, United States, about 11 hours ago
Requisition Number 20190373 Working Title Staff Research Associate II Appointment Type Staff - Career Personnel Program PSS-Covered Work Hours 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (May var...
Staff Research Associate I, University of Carlifornia, United States, about 11 hours ago
Requisition Number: 30883 Job Title: STAFF RESEARCH ASSOCIATE I Working Title: STAFF RESEARCH ASSOCIATE I Salary: $21.36 - $25.48 hourly Job Type: Career Department Name: 0980-CHEMISTRY AND BIOCHE...
Executive Assistant, University of California Office of the President, United States, about 12 hours ago
Requisition Number 20190357 Working Title Executive Assistant Appointment Type Staff - Career Personnel Program PSS-Uncovered Work Hours Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm Percentage of Time 100 Organiz...
Assistant Iii, University of Carlifornia, United States, about 11 hours ago
Requisition Number: 30921 Job Title: _____ASSISTANT III Working Title: Marketing Coordinator/Receptionist Salary: $24.00 - $34.38 hourly Job Type: Career Department Name: 0466-THEATER Department W...
Child Development Center Assistant, University of Carlifornia, United States, about 11 hours ago
Requisition Number: 30906 Job Title: CHILD DEVELOPMENT CENTER ASSISTANT Working Title: Teacher Salary: $17.32 - $19.73 hourly Job Type: Career Department Name: 3120-EARLY CARE AND EDUCATION Depart...
Assistant Ii, University of Carlifornia, United States, about 12 hours ago
Requisition Number: 30998 Job Title: _____ASSISTANT II Working Title: Center Assistant Salary: $20.88-$29.64 hourly Job Type: Limited Department Name: 5584-UNEX-ADMINISTRATION BUILDING Department ...