Postdoctoral Research Associate in Remote Sensing (id:58634)
School of Forest Resources - OFORM
Monday - Friday 8:00AM - 4:30PM
The School of Forest Resources at the University of Maine has a position available for a Postdoctoral Research Associate to work on a newly funded 3-year NASA research project on forest health assessment using remote sensing technologies in collaboration with USFS, forest landowners and Maine forest industry. To provide an individual who has recently been awarded a doctorate degree to undertake the responsibilities and development of a researcher. Coordinate, manage, and conduct research to serve the needs of the University of Maine. The annual salary for this position is $45,000.
Complete job description.
The University of Maine is a community of more than 11,200 undergraduate and graduate students, and 2,500 employees located on the Orono campus and throughout the state. UMaine is the state land and sea grant university and maintains a leadership role as the System’s flagship university. As a result, it is dedicated to providing excellent teaching, research, and service at the university, state, and national levels.
Further information about UMaine can be found at https://umaine.edu/
The University of Maine offers a wide range of benefits for employees including, but not limited to, tuition benefits (employee and dependent), comprehensive insurance coverage including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and short and long term disability as well as retirement plan options. As a former NSF ADVANCE institution, the University of Maine is committed to diversity in our workforce and to dual-career couples.
UMaine is located in beautiful Central Maine. Many employees report that a primary reason for choosing to come to UMaine is quality of life. Numerous cultural activities, excellent public schools, safe neighborhoods, high quality medical care, little traffic, and a reasonable cost of living make the greater Bangor area a wonderful place to live.
Learn more about what the Bangor region has to offer here .
- A Ph.D. in forestry, natural resources, remote sensing, geo-spatial analysis or other closely related disciplines is required.
- Hands-on experience with remote sensing data processing and software such as ENVI or ERDAS Imagine and geospatial analysis software such as ArcGIS or similar open-source software or other platforms such as Google Earth Engine is required.
- Knowledge of programming languages such as IDL, R or Python is required.
- Experience with various statistical methods like parametric or nonparametric regression is required.
- Demonstrated excellent organizational, written and oral communication skills are required.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment is required.
- Applicants must be eligible to accept employment in the United States at the time the appointment is made.
- Prior research work in forested environments
- Experience on field work and aerial data acquisition campaigns
- Demonstrated track record of scientific publications or presentations
Work Environment: Work will take place at the University of Maine, Orono, ME, U.S.A. Employee could potentially be exposed to biosafety levels II (BSL II) pathogens and toxins. The employee will be expected to work collaboratively to develop methodologies and conduct experiments, responding flexibly and creatively to input from the Project Director and researchers.
Work Year: Full-time, one fiscal year appointment. Extendable to up to 2 years contingent upon funds availability and performance.
Materials must be submitted via "Apply For Position" below. You will need to create a profile and application; upload
You will also need to complete the affirmative action survey, the self-identification of disability form, and the self-identification of veteran status forms. Incomplete application materials cannot be considered. Materials received after the initial review date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University.
Search Timeline is as follows:
Review of applications to begin: 12/1/2019
Tentative start date: 01/01/2020
Appropriate background checks are required.
The University of Maine is an EEO/AA employer, and does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender expression, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information or veteran’s status in employment, education, and all other programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Amie Parker, Interim Director of Equal Opportunity, 101 North Stevens Hall, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469-5754, 207.581.1226, TTY 711 (Maine Relay System).
Copies of Transcripts, Cover Letter, References, Resume/CV