School of Medicine Established in 1930, Duke University School of Medicine is the youngest of the nation's top medical schools. Ranked sixth among medical schools in the nation, the School takes pride in being an inclusive community of outstanding learners, investigators, clinicians, and staff where interdisciplinary collaboration is embraced and great ideas accelerate translation of fundamental scientific discoveries to improve human health locally and around the globe. Composed of more than 2,500 faculty physicians and researchers, more than 1,300 students, and more than 6,000 staff, the Duke University School of Medicine along with the Duke University School of Nursing, Duke University Health System and the Private Diagnostic Clinic (PDC) comprise Duke Health. a world-class academic medical center. The Health System encompasses Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, Duke Raleigh Hospital, Duke Primary Care, Duke Home and Hospice, Duke Health and Wellness, and multiple affiliations.
ACT at Duke is a contextual behavioral science (CBS) research lab, with an affiliated ACT-based clinic and training program in the Division of Behavioral Medicine in Duke University’s School of Medicine. Research focuses on the mechanisms and treatment of eating disorders and related women’s health issues. Interventions are grounded in ACT and engage digital and mobile technology for real-time, contextually sensitive intervention and assessment of treatment outcomes and processes of change.
ACT at Duke is seeking a postdoctoral fellow with experience in Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) to join the team. This individual will serve as a protocol therapist on a randomized controlled trial testing a novel mHealth intervention for eating disorders in individuals with type 1 diabetes, function as a member of a multidisciplinary, multi-site research team, assist with aspects of the study requiring advanced skills in intervention science and lead or co-lead dissemination activities. The fellow will have the opportunity to be involved in other grant-funded studies and to teach ACT in the ACT practicum. The fellow will spend 1-1.5 days/week in the ACT at Duke Clinic providing clinical services and working toward licensure. The fellow will receive ongoing mentorship to advance personal career goals and will have some ability to tailor research and clinical activities to personal interests.
Conduct independent research and clinical activities under the guidance of a faculty mentor in preparation for a full time clinical-research career.
- The Postdoctoral Appointee holds a PhD or equivalent doctorate (e.g., ScD, MD, DVM). Candidates with non-US degrees may be required to provide proof of degree equivalency.
- A candidate may also be appointed to a postdoctoral position if the candidate has completed all the requirements for a degree, but the degree has not been formally conferred: in this case, the candidate may present evidence of completion of the degree requirements, to get her with statement documenting the date on which the degree is to be conferred.
- If the degree is not conferred by this projected date, the postdoctoral appointment may be terminated.
- Note for international candidates: Immigration classifications (e.g., H-1B, J-1, etc.) require that the requisite degree be conferred before a petition can be filed or a visa document issued to sponsor the individual.
- The term of the appointment is limited (see Section 5 of the Post doc Policy for length of appointment).
- The appointment involves research or scholarship and may include teaching responsibilities, as well as clinical responsibilities.
- The Postdoctoral Appointee functions under the supervision of a mentor or a department at Duke University.
- The Postdoctoral Appointee is expected to publish the results of his or her research or scholarship during the period of the appointment.
- The conscientious discharge of research or scholarship responsibilities, which may include teaching responsibilities for Postdoctoral Associates Conformance to standards of responsible conduct in research.
- Compliance with good scholarly and research practice. Maintenance of a laboratory notebook and/or other comparable records of research activity, which remains the property of Duke University upon termination Adherence to University standards regarding use of isotopes, chemicals, infectious agents, animals, human subjects, and the like Open and timely discussion with the mentor regarding all facets of the Postdoctoral Appointee's research activities.
- Postdoctoral Appointees are encouraged to consult the AAMC Compact Between Postdoctoral Appointees and their Mentors for suggested guidelines for the Postdoctoral Appointee-mentor relationship Prompt disclosure to the mentor regarding the possession and desire to distribute materials, reagents, software, copyright able and potentially patentable discoveries derived from the Postdoctoral Appointee's research.
- Collegial conduct towards members of the research group and others as described in the Duke University School of Medicine Ho nor Code of Professional Conduct and other relevant conduct policies pertaining to other schools at Duke University.
- Compliance with all applicable University and departmental policies and procedures.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Ability to work independently and to function as effectively as part of a team
Ability to apply psychological theory and principles of behavior change
Ability to meet high standards for ethical research and clinical practice
Understanding of intervention science
Effective oral and written communication skills
Motivation and curiosity
PhD in psychology
See job description for education requirements.
Experience with ACT, eating disorders and/or type 1 diabetes preferred.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Postdoctoral Associate, Dermatology, United States, about 14 hours ago
Position ID:Duke -Dermatology -DRLIPOSTDOC1 [#24224] Position Title: Position Type:Postdoctoral Position Location:Durham, North Carolina 27710, United States [map ] Subject Area: Dermatology / D...
Postdoctoral Research Associate In Computational Structural Biology, Computer Science, United States, about 14 hours ago
Position ID:Duke -CS -PDA_DLAB [#24179, 3820] Position Title: Position Type:Postdoctoral Position Location:Durham, North Carolina 27708, United States [map ] Subject Area: Computer Science / Com...
Postdoctoral Associate, Civil and Environmental Engineering, United States, about 14 hours ago
Position ID:Duke -Civil and Environmental Engineering -PD_BERGIN1 [#24085, 3820] Position Title: Position Type:Postdoctoral Position Location:Durham, North Carolina 27708, United States [map ] Su...
Schmitt Postdoctoral Associate 2023, Evolutionary Anthropology, United States, 1 day ago
Position ID:Duke -EVANTH -SCHMITT_PD3 [#24245, Schmitt] Position Title: Position Type:Postdoctoral Position Location:Durham, North Carolina 27708, United States [map ] Subject Areas: Anatomy Anth...
Postdoctoral Associate, Sexuality and Feminist Studies, United States, 29 days ago
Position ID:Duke -Gender, Sexuality and Feminist Studies -POSTSDOC_THEME [#23865] Position Title: Position Type:Postdoctoral Position Location:Durham, North Carolina 27708, United States [map ] S...
Postdoctoral Associate, Biomedical Engineering, United States, about 14 hours ago
Position ID:Duke -BME -DUKESEGURA [#24216, 3820] Position Title: Position Type:Postdoctoral Position Location:Durham, North Carolina 27708, United States [map ] Subject Area: Engineering / Biome...