Boston College Introduction
Founded in 1863, Boston College is a Jesuit, Catholic university located six miles from downtown Boston with an enrollment of 9,377 full-time undergraduates and 4,420 graduate and professional students. Ranked 37 among national universities, Boston College has 878 full-time and 1,201 FTE faculty, 2,750 non-faculty employees, an operating budget of $1 billion, and an endowment in excess of $2.2 billion.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Altindis Lab at Boston College Biology Department is seeking a highly motivated postdoctoral fellow who has experience in molecular virology. We recently showed for the first time that viruses mimic human hormones and viral insulins are active ligands of human insulin and IGF-1 receptors. Our goal is to understand the role of these viral hormones in host-pathogen interactions and elucidate the underlying mechanisms. We seek a highly independent, productive and creative researcher to join our team to work on this exciting project 1,2. Experience and interest in dsDNA viruses and viral mimicry is preferred.
Altindis lab is based at Boston College Biology Department, which provides, state-of-the-art support facilities including core laboratories for sequencing, proteomics, FACS analysis and animal facilities. We also offer a remarkable training including the opportunity to collaborate with top scientists in Boston and in the world. Because Dr. Altindis is an adjunct faculty at Harvard Medical School and Joslin Diabetes Center, the appointee will be able to use Joslin Diabetes Center’s core facilities and will have close collaborations. In Altindis Lab, we understand that racism, sexism and social inequity are embedded in our societies. We will continue our efforts to create an inclusive and supportive environment for each individual. To learn more about how BC supports diversity and inclusion throughout the university please visit the Office for Institutional Diversity at http://www.bc.edu/offices/diversity.
- Applicants should have a Ph.D. preferably in virology or a closely related area, and be highly motivated and dedicated to research.
- Solid background in molecular biology, is highly desirable.
- Experience with large dsDNA viruses (beneficial but not prerequisite)
- Experience with mice (beneficial but not prerequisite)
- Experience with molecular virology (e.g bacterial artificial chromosome) is desired
- Experience with basic experiments, isolating DNA, RNA, and protein from tissues and cells, qPCR and Western Blot, microscopy.
- Experience of mammalian cell culture of primary cells and cell lines
- Demonstrated scientific excellence; evidenced by publication track record as well as track record of presenting at national and international meetings.
- Experience with cloning
- Experience with immunology, especially with T cell biology (beneficial but not prerequisite)
- Experience with high-throughput sequencing (beneficial but not prerequisite)
- The ability to perform creative and independent research
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Good interpersonal skills.
Boston College offers a broad and competitive range of benefits depending on your job classification eligibility:
- Tuition remission for Employees
- Tuition remission for Spouses and Children who meet eligibility requirements
- Generous Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Low-Cost Life Insurance
- Eligibility for both University-Funded 401k and Employer-Sponsored 403b Retirement Plans
- Paid Holidays Annually
- Generous Sick and Vacation Pay
- Additional benefits can be found on https://www.bc.edu/employeehandbook
Boston College conducts background checks as part of the hiring process.
Boston College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any legally protected category including disability and protected veteran status. To learn more about how BC supports diversity and inclusion throughout the university please visit the Office for Institutional Diversity at https://www.bc.edu/offices/diversity .
Boston College's Notice of Nondiscrimination can be viewed at https://www.bc.edu/nondiscrimination .
Post Doctoral Research Fellow, Boston College, United States, 23 days ago
Boston College Introduction Founded in 1863, Boston College is a Jesuit, Catholic university located six miles from downtown Boston with an enrollment of 9,377 full-time undergraduates and 4,420 g...
Postdoctoral Associate, Boston University, Neidl, Boston University, United States, 9 days ago
Dr. Mohsan Saeed's laboratory at Boston University's National Emerging Infectious Diseases Laboratories (NEIDL) is seeking a highly motivated Postdoctoral Associate for a project on the interplay ...
Postdoctoral Associate, Boston University, Neidl (2502), Boston University, United States, about 19 hours ago
Dr. Mohsan Saeed’s laboratory at Boston University’s National Emerging Infectious Diseases Laboratories (NEIDL) is seeking a highly motivated Postdoctoral Associate for a project on the interplay ...
Research Assistant I Lab, Harvard University, United States, 12 minutes ago
25-Nov-2020 Faculty of Arts and Sciences 52724BR Job Summary This is a unique opportunity to engage in cutting edge research while working with leaders in the field of stem cell biology and diabet...
Research Assistant Iv Epithelial Microbiome Modeling, Harvard University Medical School, United States, 1 day ago
We are currently seeking a Research Assistant to join the Bioinspired Therapeutics & Diagnostics platform at the Wyss Institute. Reporting to the Senior Staff Scientist, you will significantly con...
Research Assistant Ii Cell Culture, Harvard University, United States, 12 days ago
18-Nov-2020 Harvard Medical School 52843BR Job Summary The Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering at Harvard University seeks an enthusiastic Research Assistant II who will work to c...