Post-Doctoral Research Associate, Physics - 17000001MY
Applications are invited for a postdoctoral research associate in the Department of Physics and Astronomy at The University of Tennessee. The successful applicant will conduct research on two-dimensional (2D) materials and interfaces. The focus of this research project is on the controlled synthesis and atomistic level understanding of 2D materials, with emphasis on the electronic, magnetic and transport properties. The successful applicant will synthesize atomic layer materials with molecular self-assembly process and characterize these heterostructures with a suite of scanning probe microscopes (SPM), including Scanning Tunneling Microscope (STM), and cryogenic Four-Probe down to the atomic level. Research will be performed at the Center for Nanophase Materials Sciences of Oak Ridge National Laboratory, through the Joint Institute of Advanced Materials (JIAM), a joint venture between the University and Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
• Experimental research in ultrahigh vacuum (UHV) combining SPM for characterization and molecular beam epitaxy (MBE) for growth of 2D materials and graphitic nanostructures
• Data analysis and interpretation
• Work with others to maintain a high level of scientific productivity
• Responsible for presenting and reporting research results and publishing scientific results in key peer-reviewed journals in a timely manner
• Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health and quality program requirements
• Maintain strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics
• PhD in Condensed Matter Physics or closely related field, must have completed all degree requirements before starting their appointment
• Demonstrated experience with cryogenic STM and bottom-up synthesis of molecule assembly
• Ability to communicate in English to an international scientific audience
• Motivated and safety conscious and possess excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills
• Strong record of productive and creative research demonstrated by publications in peer-reviewed journals and presentations at scientific conferences
• Capable of innovative research with minimal supervision and the ability to work collaboratively in a team environment and interact effectively with a broad range of colleagues
• Strong background in solid-state and condensed matter physics, including electronic structure, single-crystal characterization, thermodynamics and transport properties
• Experience with scanning electron microscopy and other surface analytical techniques including RHEED and AES
• Experience programming software, such as Labview and MATLAB
The University of Tennessee is a thriving research university. Its proximity to Oak Ridge National Laboratory provides an excellent setting for the education and training of the next generation of scientists, and greatly facilitates research collaborations with the national lab. The University is located in scenic area close to Smoky Mountains National Park. Further information regarding this position can be obtained by contacting Prof. An-Ping Li at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Tennessee is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA institution in the provision of its education and employment programs and services. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.
Nov 16, 2017, 11:18:42 AM
Extension Specialist, Lone Oaks 4 H Center, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, United States, 23 minutes ago
Extension Specialist, Lone Oaks 4-H Center - 190000000Y Description POSITION X1901 Extension Specialist I LOCATION Lone Oaks 4-H Center, Middleton, TN, The University o...
Extension Specialist, Nutrition Education Program Coordinator, Family & Consumer Sciences, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, United States, 24 minutes ago
Extension Specialist, Nutrition Education Program Coordinator, Family & Consumer Sciences - 190000001G Description POSITION X1902 Extension Specialist, Nutrition Education Program Coordinator LO...
Flight Paramedic Jacksboro, Tn , University of Tennessee Medical Center at Knoxville, United States, 1 day ago
Job Detail Job Title: Flight Paramedic - Jacksboro, TN Department: Aeromedical Services-General Full/Part Time: Full Req Number: UHS-19437 Job Description: Renders skilled emergency treatment to t...
Flight Paramedic , University of Tennessee Medical Center at Knoxville, United States, about 14 hours ago
Job Detail Job Title: Flight Paramedic Department: Aeromedical Services-General Full/Part Time: Full Req Number: UHS-19107 Job Description: Renders skilled emergency treatment to the critically il...
Clinical Nurse Specialist , University of Tennessee Medical Center at Knoxville, United States, 11 days ago
The Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS) is the clinical leader for a population or area of nursing practice within the University of Tennessee Medical Center. The advanced knowledge and skills require...
Clinic Receptionist , University of Tennessee Medical Center at Knoxville, United States, about 14 hours ago
Job Detail Job Title: Clinic Receptionist Department: Revolving-UHS Cardiology Group Full/Part Time: Full Req Number: UHS-19838 Job Description: Phone Receptionist and Medical Records Clerk. This...