|Department||ESE - Water Institute - 463002|
|Posting Open Date||05/12/2022|
|Open Until Filled||Yes|
|Position Type||Postdoctoral Scholar|
|Position Title||Post-Doc Research Associate|
|Hours per week||40|
|Work Location||Chapel Hill, NC|
|Position Location||North Carolina, US|
|Proposed Start Date||09/01/2022|
|Estimated Duration of Appointment||12 Months|
|Primary Purpose of Organizational Unit||
The Water Institute at University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill seeks to mobilize the knowledge, expertise and resources that exist across UNC to address local and global water challenges. The Institute works at the nexus of research, policy, and practice – using science and evidence to change the way the world works on water. The Institute sits within the Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering (ESE) in the Gillings School of Global Public Health (GSGPH) the top public school of public health in the United States. This gives the Water Institute a direct connection to some of the world’s leading experts in water chemistry and microbiology, water resources management, environmental engineering, and public health working to address the world’s biggest and most pressing water and health challenges through implementation science, community-based research, evidence-based decision-making, and strategic policy review in more than 60 countries around the world.
The Water Institute at UNC is seeking a talented, energetic, and motivated, post-doctoral researcher to lead research and projects related to drinking water safety – in particular, issues related to testing, monitoring, and management of under-recognized contaminants in drinking water in low- and middle-income countries, with an emphasis on lead and toxic metals. This work may include:
* Design, implementation, and evaluation of field research
* Remote and in-person support, training, and/or supervision of field teams on projects
* Development of training materials related to water quality monitoring and analysis with an emphasis on lead and toxic metals in drinking water
* Data management and analysis, including data from field research as well as secondary datasets
* Preparation of reports and peer-reviewed manuscripts
* Development and teaching of short courses/trainings related to water quality monitoring and analysis
* Engagement with international organizations and other partners to support the development of normative guidelines for improving drinking water quality
* Collaboration with researchers, students, staff, and faculty at the Water Institute, in the department of environmental sciences and engineering, and in other departments and centers at UNC and beyond.
Post-doctoral researchers also have opportunities to engage in other areas of Water Institute activity including teaching, knowledge management and networking and communication.
|Minimum Education and Experience Requirements||
The candidate will have undertaken studies and been awarded a PhD in public health, water resources management, environmental engineering, or a related field. Candidates expecting a PhD within 3 months may also be considered. The successful candidate will have experience relevant to water quality monitoring and analysis, water safety, analytical chemistry, and/or biostatistics, data science, or data analysis; this experience should be relevant and/or transferrable to characterizing drinking water quality in a variety of settings with an emphasis on low- and middle-income countries.
|Required Qualifications, Competencies, and Experience||
* Working knowledge of fundamental chemistry including basic analytical chemistry methods
* Knowledge of standard laboratory best practices including some familiarity with standard methods for the analysis of lead and toxic metals in water, as well as basic quality assurance/quality control methods.
* Ability to read, synthesize, and communicate peer-reviewed evidence in environmental engineering and public health literatures, as well as grey literature including government reports, program evaluations, etc.
* Ability to effectively communicate and present research results in written and verbal formats
* Working knowledge of basic statistics/biostatistics adequate to conduct sample size calculations, regressions, hypothesis testing, etc.
* Familiarity with at least one software package suitable for data analysis (e.g. R, STATA, MATLAB, SPSS, SAS, Python, etc.)
* Ability to work in office, laboratory, and field settings as needed
|Preferred Qualifications, Competencies, and Experience||
Preferred candidates will have a strong publication record for their career stage, strong oral and written communication skills, a history of successful grant writing, management of field work in low- and middle-income countries, and proven team-working skills. Past experience with water quality testing for trace metals, such as lead, in drinking water would be a plus. Further qualifications and experience may be relevant dependent on project requirements. Strong conceptual and analytical skills in addition to those specified above are also helpful; for example, experience with GIS software and geospatial data analysis is desirable (but not required). . Ability to travel domestically or internationally up to 25% as needed is preferred. Knowledge of one or more UN languages in addition to English (e.g. Spanish, French, Arabic, Mandarin, etc.) is a plus as well.
|Special Physical/Mental Requirements|
For information on UNC Postdoctoral Benefits and Services click here
Inclusive Excellence is a core value at the Gillings School of Global Public Health. We expect our faculty and staff to actively contribute to fostering an academic workplace climate that is welcoming and supportive for all.
Please indicate in your cover letter how you might contribute to an inclusive climate at Gillings.
Posting Contact Information
|Department Contact Name and Title||Tiffany Harper, HR Consultant|
|Department Contact Telephone or Emailemail@example.com|
|Postdoctoral Affairs Contact Information||
If you experience any problems accessing the system or have questions about the application process, please contact the University’s Equal Employment Opportunity office at (919) 966-3576 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: The Equal Employment Opportunity office will not be able to provide specific updates regarding position or application status.
|Equal Opportunity Employer Statement||
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, race, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.
Postdoctoral Associate, Statistical Science, United States, about 16 hours ago
Position ID:Duke -StatSci -STPDA [#21981] Position Title: Position Type:Postdoctoral Position Location:Durham, North Carolina 27708, United States [map ] Subject Area: Statistics Appl Deadline:20...
Registered Nurse (Experienced Rn) Pre & Post Op Arringdon Asc Morrisville 40hrs, Duke University, United States, 7 days ago
Duke Nursing Highlights: Duke University Health System is designated as a Magnet organization Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognized each year as North Carolina's Great 100 Nurses. ...
Postdoctoral Associate, Duke University, United States, 20 days ago
This Position is Grant Funded School of Medicine Established in 1930, Duke University School of Medicine is the youngest of the nationâ€™s top medical schools. Ranked sixth among medical schools i...
Postdoctoral Associate Energy System Management, Nicholas School of the Environment - Durham, United States, about 16 hours ago
Position ID:Duke -NSOE-Durham -POSTDOC_PATINO [#22016, 3820] Position Title: Position Type:Postdoctoral Position Location:Durham, North Carolina 27708, United States [map ] Subject Areas: Compute...
New Grad Birthing Center Duke University Hospital Post Partum Day/Night Rotation, Duke University, United States, 21 days ago
Duke University Hospital Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. ...
Postdoctoral Associate, Psychology and Neuroscience, United States, about 16 hours ago
Position ID:Duke -P&N -POSTDOC_BERGELSON [#21997, 3820] Position Title: Position Type:Postdoctoral Position Location:Durham, North Carolina 27708-0999, United States [map ] Subject Area: Developm...